• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Intake's

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Its pronounced (Priz-biz)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the k&n in my 2001 sport. The problem is they make 2 different types for the sohc engine and 4wheel parts sent the wrong one twice. I only netted a 1 mpg increase over a 1500 mile test I did. Defiantly Better ones out on the market other then the K&N which usually cost alot less.

I used to like air intakes but I don't think they do much for our Explorers. The stock air filter flows well enough that its not a major restriction.

But that being said, I would go with a name brand (K&N, AEM, etc). A random off-brand may or may not have effective filtering media and you may be exposing your engine to essentially unfiltered air. Not worth the savings IMO.

An open element will not be a "cold air intake" at all. It will draw in warm air from under the hood.

My scangauge says the IAT ( intake air temp) is the same as outdoor temp with my stock air box. Unless the "cold air intake" has a compressor and refrigerant, I do not see how it will draw colder air than the stock box does.

Turdle you're 100% right. I guess when I said "CAI" I just meant aftermarket intake ie. K&N air intake system. I'm going to update my original post in order to make myself sound less stupid :p

The main reason I am wanting to upgrade my Air intake is because of the poor location that the stock filter is in. About 2 years ago I hit a big drift and did not know why my ex was chuggin, well it turns out it was jam packed with snow up in the air filter. The stock air filter pulls air from the front of the wheel well! WHAT A POOR DESIGN! I ended up with oil in the air filter, turns out it was a 5 dollar PCV valve. I NEVER want to see this again and would love to upgrade to something more efficient.

After further research I'm strongly considering dumping the K&N Idea and going with an amsoil filter. Specifically probably the EaAU3570.

1) because it does not require oil
2) it has great reviews

OR I would go with an aFe Power MagnumFLOW OER PRO DRY S

What do you guys think I should do about the piping? Read that some people have a drop in box and others just run it straight out of the engine bay. I cannot find anything up to date with this air filter stuff. Any tips here?

-Jake

Turdle you're 100% right. I guess when I said "CAI" I just meant aftermarket intake ie. K&N air intake system. I'm going to update my original post in order to make myself sound less stupid :p

The main reason I am wanting to upgrade my Air intake is because of the poor location that the stock filter is in. About 2 years ago I hit a big drift and did not know why my ex was chuggin, well it turns out it was jam packed with snow up in the air filter. The stock air filter pulls air from the front of the wheel well! WHAT A POOR DESIGN! I ended up with oil in the air filter, turns out it was a 5 dollar PCV valve. I NEVER want to see this again and would love to upgrade to something more efficient.

Do a snorkal!!!

I had the one that you posted from ebay, it worked fine, but because the pipe is metal it heated up

I've also ran stock pipe with MAF adapter and K&N filter, but I'm currently running a full K&N kit, spend a little over 200 for it, but I do like the intake pipe a lot better

Back