delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't get back on it today , had issues with my boiler and the drivers side outer door handle on the mounty snapped off, got the boiler ( circulator controller) working, ran to advanced auto an grabed a door handle from the help section, I was lazy and didn't feel like grabbing one off of one of my spare doors, so i paid $25 bucks and it feels like its gonna snap, cheep Taiwan dorman junk! I grew up in a real parts store and dorman was always good stuff, now its all crap, anyhoo I'll try to get back on it one night this week

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

IMG_20140419_170624.jpg
Starting back on the mounty , I think we are done with the snow and monsoon season , we are on vacation so I have time to get the t-case done then I can jump back to Vader, but today I had fun swapping out the drivers door hinges

Hinges

Where did you get the hinges? Whole hinges or just pin bushing kits?
My 4 door D/S door is feeling a little loose these days. Did you have to pull the fender off or were you able to get in there with the fender still on?

I just swapped a set I scored off a low mileage wreck , I hung it off the crane unbolted the door then the hinge from the body , the bottom hinge has a nut inside the truck behind the kick panel ,

nut

Behind the kick panel? That must have been the fun one to get to!
I like the engine crane door holder. That's better than my floor jack door holder. lol.

IMG_20140424_121135_905.jpg
IMG_20140424_121144_187.jpg
IMG_20140424_121154_902.jpg
Just a few pics of the process, I cut the tabs off of the case and then smoothed them with a flap disc, I have the truck on ramps and stands in my driveway , the driveshafts are out and I've started on the awd case to tranny bolts , just stopped for lunch ,

Didn't get done today but I think I'm ready to install in the morning, I am regretting doing this in the driveway , I may just get the case in and the rear driveshaft and just finish it at the shop , but I did get the tank bracket done and the other little things like that , I'll get picks of all that in the morning

Man I wish I would of had a shop to work in. I had to man handle my t case in.

That's where I'm at and its bad enough its a heavy awkward pig but it is a very tight fit and has to go in just so , but I'll get it ,

IMG_20140425_121031_690.jpg
IMG_20140425_120954_650.jpg
IMG_20140425_125049_581.jpg
IMG_20140425_125019_832.jpg
More pics , after I took these this morning I got the case installed along with the rear driveshaft , the ratchet straps helped keep the tank and exhaust out of the way , you can also see my tank bracket , I just cut off the the part that was in the way and it seems plenty strong

Well I got the shifter in and took it for a ride , wow what a difference! I didn't get to the front driveshaft but that doesn't really matter since I have the manual hubs , I'll post a few more pics in a few

Shifter located, I'm not gonna use the boot and bezel I have because it doesn't fit quite rite but I'll get the f150 one in the morning from the junkyard, the mileage is now saying I'm getting 23/24 mpg at 55/60 mph , it was 17/18 mpg at those speeds, it steers like an old crown Vic and it will smoke the tires very easily,

Attachments

• IMG_20140425_181115_815.jpg
    IMG_20140425_181115_815.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 280

sooooooooooo.....you have a mc. in it. i didnt know that. tell me, did you get it to read for the smaller tank?

Oh no that's the mounty, I had to do the wife's first, gotta keep her happy so i can do all the same stuff to my sport

I still plan on using the electric shift case in Vader,

Didn't find a boot yesterday but I found one on ebay last night, my only problem so far is the front driveshaft I got from a 97 expedition is too long, other than that im loving it, I put over 100 miles on it yesterday and all is well,

Just wait till you feel the low range-:D

Low range with the hubs unlocked and no front driveshaft! Lol im trying to not roast the new BFGs, but its Soooo hard!

Just a little update, got my 01 f-150 shifter boot and bezel installed

Attachments

• IMG_20140506_200328_048.jpg
    IMG_20140506_200328_048.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20140506_200341_724.jpg
    IMG_20140506_200341_724.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 262

Back