• Register Today It's free!

Eddie Bauer Steering Wheel Swap

Coasty

Reaction score
City, State
Pembroke Pines, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT 5.0L 2wd
My 2001 XLT has the steering wheel cruise buttons, but it would be nice to have radio buttons as well. Has anyone swapped an EB steering wheel into a regular EX and successfully hooked up the radio controls?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you should be able to see the extra connector for radio under the dash (if is present).

My 2001 XLT has the steering wheel cruise buttons, but it would be nice to have radio buttons as well. Has anyone swapped an EB steering wheel into a regular EX and successfully hooked up the radio controls?

even if all the necessary wiring is there, you need to have a radio that supports the steering wheel controls (3 plugs on the back).

You need to swap clock springs. All the wiring in the dash is also not there. The two different clock springs have a different number of pins on the connector to dash harness and are a diff shape. I have the eb wheel in my sport but i changed out the full dash harness from the same donor vehicle. I purchased a new clock spring because i didn't want to trust the one from the donor.

IMO not worth the swap unless you do the EATC at the same time.

Subscribed as I am planning close to the same swap including EATC install.

i have all the bits and pieces and am planning to use the JY clockspring.

If only I wasn't so lazy :(

Interesting, sounds like I need to do some junk yard scrounging, but might be a neat project.

Yep, just went through clocksprings on mine...in 2000, there seems to be two different ones, one with audio controls and one without.

Explorers that didn't come with cruise had the same clockspring as the ones did that had cruise, but there's no extra contacts that the audio controls could use.

Resurrection.

Anyone go the opposite direction? EB wheel to XLT? I’ve gone through two sets of cruise control buttons in as many months. They’re made of unobtanium and the used ones I do find simply don’t last.

I figure if I go to the XLT wheel, aftermarket cruise buttons will be available. Not having cruise suuuuucks.

Back