Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you and especially your kids will love the SAS and the new adventures you'll be able to do. Whole new world of wheelin' man. Can't wait to see the build and the trail run pic's and videos to follow.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

In the opening post of this registry, I originally said:

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.

Yeah...... about that.......

6c5a8ae063413163b2f52732429f7bc4.jpg

It's not quite road worthy, but it won't be long.

What was changed:
Trussed and gussetted Dana 30
4.56 gears with Truetracs front and rear
SOA using 63" Chevy leaf springs
Solid Axle diff covers front and rear
1354 transfer case swap
F-150 steering box
Long travel Rancho shocks and custom long arms
XJ 5.5 coil springs

It's still on 33s but that will change at some point. I've got a few other projects to work on before I do those.

Looks good!!!

Minor mods? That's how it always starts...

Looks like the SFF Customs barn

Nice, Just in time for summer wheelin' and camping. I'm stating back to work tomorrow so hopefully I can start funding my SAS build again.

4/30/2014

SAS, SOA, TrueTracs front and rear, long travel shocks, trussed and gussetted Dana 30, 1354 is finally complete.

It works VERY well offroad now. I climbed a section in The Gulches with no drama at all that I would have never been able to climb up before- way too much flex for IFS with open diffs.

Before:
c9c30b04aa3a8c11691ee85816a70cdd.jpg

4437fa171cb8ee44bfd3768ecb982ed2.jpg

This was as far as I could drive up this berm before the open diffs reared their ugly heads.

This is after:
fbbce39315397dbe030a52f3b43699d0.jpg

9f02525d78502145c75636da686d9830.jpg

And I could have gone further.

63f7a8b8c09314e9445eb5e2b11b3fa1.jpg

Link for those of us on iPads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWraJt4YIik&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thats awesome, love your rig and how you use it, cant wait to see what comes next

Awesome suspension flex, I'm thinking next time Luke wheels with you he's gonna be jealous and finally want to go SAS.

Yeah, maybe. It's not cheap though!

Josh did mention that he was going to build the 4door Ex he has just like it. It's like a '98 or so. It has a manual transmission, I believe manual transfer case, 4.88 gears. Once he's done, he's going to sell it. No idea on the timetable and I won't mention the price he said (in case it changes) but it was a good price for a turn key trail rig that will go just about anywhere.

nice ex! What year F150 did the steering box come from?

Could you post up some pics of the radius arm setup and coil setup? Looks like older f150/bronco buckets and f250 shock towers?

I hope so. I hated my previous storage setup. While on the trail loaded with camping gear, I had to unpack a bunch of stuff just to get anything out.

But speaking of which, do you want my old black Plano box? The nice thing about it was that you could strap it down and still open the lid.

Looks like a slinky!
:thumbsup:

Loaded up the right drawer with tools, recovery gear, tire chains and the like. The left drawer is still pretty empty. I'm thinking my stove, fuel cans for the stove, pots/pans/plates/silverware and stuff like that.

I also added a shifter boot for the manual transfer case:
43aa73ef6dd5bce574168b02066a461a.jpg

It's not what I had planned from the get-go, but it'll work. That's one of the nice things about wheeling an older vehicle. It should keep exhaust noise and maybe some heat and water out.

:popcorn:

Back