what differential do you have in a 2004 ford explorer/ or sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what differential do you have in a 2004 ford explorer/ or sport trac

kmartin

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Sport
I thought I had a pretty good vehicle when my wife brought a Ford Explorer Sport trac into our marriage. It was not until yesterday till I figured what what rear differential was in it. And I was disappointed. Why? because it is a 4.10 ratio non limited slip. The ratio being higher is one, being not as good on fuel and not a limited slip which I thought was popular and almost on every vehicle. I was wondering is that pretty common with 04 sport trac or what do others have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put a differential locker in it if you want the added traction. Beats the pants off a limited slip and only costs about 300 bucks or so which, when stuck in a snowbank with your kids in the car on a back country road or something is a small price to pay for knowing you can get yourself out of it.

Most explorers and tracks came with open diffs. Mainly for the fractional mpg benefit and the reality that alot of people don't use these vehicles like trucks anymore like they are.

Is it worth while considering changing the ratio to the differential. How much fuel do you think I would save? Saw that 3.73 were standard for sport tracs so going lower than that is probably not a good idea. Would going taller tires be a better alternative?

Is it worth while considering changing the ratio to the differential. How much fuel do you think I would save? Saw that 3.73 were standard for sport tracs so going lower than that is probably not a good idea. Would going taller tires be a better alternative?

Nah...for the amount you would save in fuel you would never recover from the cost of a regear or new axle. If you got a 4x4 you have to then swap the front as well. Taller tires would theoretically help BUT the added weight and rolling resistance (assuming they are a little wider as they would likely have to be) would negate that effect.

After doing a little more research, I have found that it appears Ford already gave taller tires to compensate for the higher rear ratio. Although the standard rear is 3.73, the standard tires are P235 70R16, where on the XLT premium the gear ratio is 4.10 and the tire size is P255 70R16. So I am better off leaving it along.

Back