Differences in Gas Mileage on Long Trips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences in Gas Mileage on Long Trips

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On your one tank trip, are you filling up at the same gas station(or stations with same supplier) each time? If so, it could be the quality of gas u r getting from them.

Unless you track the gallons you pump each fill via your receipt your method of guessing using fuel gage will not be very accurate. Otherwise, if you are using the gallons tracked via receipt, your post leaves us guessing because you don't list the numbers in it.

I believe the Ex has an 18.6 gallon tank.

Like other poster - are you buying gas with Ethanol mix or do some in Nevada sell Ethanol free? Some older threads here that you get better mpg with fuel that does not have Ethanol mix.

Happy betting or what ever you do in Vegas :)

Because of the way gas floats work your gas gauge will go down slowly from full to half, then faster from half to empty... If you are estimating by using your gauge its going to be inaccurate.. keep track of the gallons you put in, and compare the total gallons per trip instead.

Can anyone provide any insight as to why it seems I'm using less gas by constantly filling up?

Or am I delusional?

Just to give you some perspective, the difference between 7/8 and 3/4 of a tank (18.6 Imp G) is 2.325 gallons. Assuming you were eye-balling your consumption based on the gas gauge only and not using real data (miles traveled and fuel used), you're probably imagining things.

Back