• Register Today It's free!

14 EB Sport is a TURD!!

TYDFAN

Reaction score
City, State
Nederland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
365 HP my @$$! Where's the power hiding? Will a police tune wake this thing up? I don't need more power, I just want the power I paid for. How can I get this thing actually acting like a twin turbo awd vehicle with 365 hp without voiding my warranty? Am I the only one that feels like this thing os sand bagging? Go drive a SHO Taurus or Effie then drive the Explorer, night and day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't you think 600 + lbs might make a little performance difference between the two? The f150 has 420 lb/ft of torque vs 350 in the explorer. Not saying your isn't a turd but I'm pretty happy with ours. Throw a tune at it and pick up 100 lb/ft of tourqe and about 65 hp.

Mine has plenty of power!

Mplayer1

My 2013 Sport has great power! This is one of the nicest SUV's I've owned. I don't look for my explorer to be more than it is! I have two V Twin motorcyles with about 7lbs to 1hp versus the explorer has 13.5lbs to 1hp. Strap a hundred horse between your legs and you won't need to ask the explorer to be more than it is! The explorer is about 0-60 in 6 secs and the sho is about 5.5 sec 0-60. There's your difference.

365 HP my @$$! Where's the power hiding? Will a police tune wake this thing up? I don't need more power, I just want the power I paid for. How can I get this thing actually acting like a twin turbo awd vehicle with 365 hp without voiding my warranty? Am I the only one that feels like this thing os sand bagging? Go drive a SHO Taurus or Effie then drive the Explorer, night and day.

I get what you are saying. I agree it is a turd stock. The ECU torque management and the "non-sport" shift schedule make it feel a lot less than 365HP. Unfortunately those cannot be cured without a tune which would void the warranty most likely.

15 minutes, a tune and you'll be beating stock Mustang GTs with a family hauler. That's far from a turd!

My new Sport with ~500 miles on it pulls just fine.. feels nice and powerful. Maybe you were expecting more than what a stock Sport offers. Don't forget how much the thing weighs..

Mplayer1

15 minutes, a tune and you'll be beating stock Mustang GTs with a family hauler. That's far from a turd!

I have no doubt that with a tune these guys will rock! I've spoke with a tuner in my area with a dyno and he claims he can get about another 70 hp with an additional 100 lbs of torgue with no internal engine modifications! That would make a hugh difference! Now the cosiderations would be:

What ever the weakest link in the power train has now just become a lot weaker. Harder on crankshaft mains, cv joints, input and output transaxle shafts, body flex, and over all stress on the vehicle that was not designed to see that much horsepower and torque. That's the reason Ford will most likely void the powertrain warranty. They are dealing with performance, emmisons issues versus weight and mandatory fuel regulations. I think Ford has done a pretty respectable job trying to achieve all of the parameters. Really, who cares whether I can beat a Mustang GT with my suv, it's not what I would own the vehicle for. I wonder how the Mustang GT would tow my boat and trailers?

I agree with the majority here.....this thing is not made to be a land rocket . it's a freakin' Ford Explorer . mine has plenty of pull in it for being a stock Sport and I have owned everything from 600whp to 1000whp :D

You're talking about an almost 2k lb difference from the SHO. You can't expect the same power to pull both vehicles the same. You can tune the engine to get 70-100hp more, but this will void the warranty. For an SUV the stock explorer Sport does an amazing job of balancing performance, handling and fuel economy. Did you drive the car before purchasing it?

You're talking about an almost 2k lb difference from the SHO. You can't expect the same power to pull both vehicles the same. You can tune the engine to get 70-100hp more, but this will void the warranty. For an SUV the stock explorer Sport does an amazing job of balancing performance, handling and fuel economy. Did you drive the car before purchasing it?
:thumbsup:

or maybe he thinks the HP rating is WHP . there are tons of people that don't understand the difference . most people never think about factoring in the drivetrain loss .

It's not a Ford Lightning, OP!

What ever the weakest link in the power train has now just become a lot weaker. Harder on crankshaft mains, cv joints, input and output transaxle shafts, body flex, and over all stress on the vehicle that was not designed to see that much horsepower and torque.

While fairly new to the EX, this powertrain has been doing well with these mods in SHOs and Flexs for several years.... With stock internals even standing up to a few owners tricking them out to 600 RWHP.

Really, who cares whether I can beat a Mustang GT with my suv, it's not what I would own the vehicle for. I wonder how the Mustang GT would tow my boat and trailers?

To each their own I guess... Personally I saw this truck as a shot at the best of both worlds and it hasn't let me down yet! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Ajar

to each their own i guess... Personally i saw this truck as a shot at the best of both worlds and it hasn't let me down yet! :thumbsup:

+1!

Mplayer1

To each their own I guess... Personally I saw this truck as a shot at the best of both worlds and it hasn't let me down yet! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Ajar

Don't get me wrong, I love to put my foot in this thing and I think they're very cool but I have very fast motorcycles to tame my thrill. The explorer will never go as fast as them. But I totally get where your coming from!

Bob

Did you not take a test drive before you bought it? If you did were you happy with it then? If you didn't, then there really isn't any excuse. You either have an problem with the vehicle or you have unrealistic expectations. I have the same engine in my MKT and am more than happy with it. It likely has more power than I'll ever use during 90% of my driving.

Peter

Rocket, it might not be but it is FAR from a turd.

i'm guessing from the lack of responses or comments from the OP , he is just trying to stir up the pot :thumbdwn:

I would say close this thread and wait for his next post on why the Ex Sport sucks :D

If you bought a Ford Explorer to go drag racing, you may need to re arrange your priorities and re think your purchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My coworker with a '14 Sport had a similar gripe about the performance. Turns out he was filling up with 87 octane. When he tried 93, after a few fill ups, he could feel a noticeable difference. Sorry if the OP already knows this, but I guess some people aren't aware that the Sport prefers 93 octane..

Back