Highest Mileage 4.0, V-6, Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Highest Mileage 4.0, V-6, Explorer

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I currently have 176,000 miles on my 2002 Explorer, Eddie Bauer, 4.0, V-6. I am curious as to who has the most miles on their 4.0, V-6 without having to have replaced the timing chain. It's okay if you have rebuilt the transmission since that is not part of the engine. I'm not sure if it was a wives tale or not, but someone at an auto repair shop said these engines can run up to 350,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

232,000... just oil changes on the engine... lotsa other stuff, both intentional and not intentional .. trans was rebuilt around 175k

232,000 miles is fair amount without replacing anything major. How often did you change the oil and filter, every 3,000, 5,000, miles, etc.?

I have on '02 XLT 4.0L at 198K miles.

Oil changes done every 5K miles, spark plugs changed at 105K miles. Other than regular maintenance items (fluids, serp belt, etc.), the only engine work done was changing the DPFE sensor ($50) somewhere around 75K miles.

The transmission has never been touched, but I am starting to get an occasional hard shift. My local mechanic informs me that he sees lots of Explorers over 200K miles and and even a few over 300K that are fleet vehicles

Kevin, Great to hear about your Explorer from a cold weather location. I have performed about the same maintenance items as you, plus a few more. I typically change my oil at around 4,000 miles and also had to replace the DPFE sensor (always use OEM), replaced thermostat and housing, ITCV to smooth out idle, AC compressor, spark plugs/wires, drive belt, etc. I also had the transmission rebuilt at about 157,000 miles. Most of my miles are highway miles and no towing that I'm aware of (bought it used at 23,000 miles) and very little 4x4 driving. My engine sounds very smooth, but it sounds like if the timing chain were to go bad, that would be a nightmare.

'06 with 182k. Nothing major.

Not an explorer, but the same motor...

Our 2006 Mustang the with sohc v6 is just over 252,000 miles... timing chains are still quiet. The only noise we have right now is a noisy cold starter..

Oil changes every 7k-9k miles.. using synthetic oil and wix filters.

I've had to change the alternator, thermostat housing and I replaced the a/c compressor last year as it was getting noisy..

~Mark

My 97 sohc had over 260,000 when I pulled it for the v8 swap, it got new guides and the externals swapped with a 2002 and now has been living in a 02 explorer for over a year, still going strong

I'm not as religious with the oil changes... Sometimes 5k.. I use valvoline hi mileage and Fram filters... Only thing I did is about every 50k I throw in duralube.. May not do anything but I've had a windstar with 270k and a maxima at 232k.... I drive alot...

My old Explorer had 93000 when I totalled it..no issues and were beat the living hell out of it off road playing in the mud and snow. Great memories from that old truck. 4.0l v6 may not be the biggest baddest engine around but she does the job!

197,500 with same engine and tranny. Performed tune up last year and replaced rear bearings for the second time. Oil changed anywhere between 3-5k miles. Runs great on the autobahn at high speeds. As the second owner of this vehicle it has been a very reliable machine and well maintained my myself and previous owner. Unfortunatley with it's high mileage I dont plan on dumping anymore serious money into it, so when tranny or engine goes, I will most likely donate or part it out. If it continues to run strong up until July, I will ship it back to the U.S. of A. and sign /hand the tile and keys over to my mom. She told me not to get rid of it and that she wants it.

Not quite as high mileage as some of the others but I'm at 119k, bought the car with 67k. Replaced the alternator, cruise control cutout switch, front wheel bearings, fan clutch, and thermostat. Other than that just regular maintenance items, oil 3-5k, transmission fluid and filter once, rotors/pads, spark plugs/wires, etc.

Mine has shifted kind of rough since I bought it, I've gotten used to it. Maybe one day I'll get the PCM flashed and see if that helps.

Hoping to make it to 200k in this beast.

168000 and nothing major. Regular oil changes, Pennzoil synthetic and Fram filters every 6000. Tune up and brakes at about 150000

Great thread! Hockey, there may something to the Duralube oil additive that you are using. It has great reviews and it appears that those who use get a lot of miles on their engines. I can't say anything definitive, but it's looking pretty positive regarding it's use.

125k, on my second rebuilt tranny (Ford ESP, not out of pocket less the $100 deductible)

motor is all original, starting to hear signs of chain rattle during cold morning starts. past 3 oil changes i haven't added the usual Lucas Oil Stabilizer...thats when the chain rattle started. I think after this next change (just changed it yesterday) i'll go back to using 1 quart of that subbed for the synthetic (castrol syntec)

Yep, nearly 300km on my 99. Keep in mind, the truck has lived in Alberta its whole life and I'm not proud to say, but cold started numerous times when parked on the street. 3 cranks and she starts every time! All the way down to -35c! Napa oil and filter 3-4 times a year to keep it clean. Helps that I have a company truck, so the ex may see a few more years. I only did 10000km last year lol

I'm at 185K on my '02 4.0L. I'll have to change the thermostat housing sometime in the near future but other than that; nothing major yet. Hopefully it stays that way haha. Original engine and transmission.

Original owner. 203,000 with original timing chains and cassettes. Also original water pump, exhaust system, u-joints, plastic panel below rear window and transmission although OD light flashes if accelerating hard with heavy load. Both left side wheel bearings replaced twice. Both right side wheel bearings replaced once but its starting to roar again. No ABS light so I think its the right rear. semi synthetic for the 1st 100K, Moble 1 for the balance (every 3 to 6K).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02 V6 250ish last time I used it. It got "totaled" but is still in use as a yard truck, got it new off the showroom floor.

Back