• Register Today It's free!

Front differential cover

xTOM153x

Reaction score
City, State
West Islip Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Is it possible to drop the front diff cover without removing the entire assembly like how it is done for the rear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is possible. Just take the bolts out around the edge of the cover. It's actually easier then it looks to do it.

Thanks! I plan on putting a new gasket and fluid in there this weekend. Just wanted to see what I'm getting myself into. It looks very limited in space but I am sure it will be no problem.

Rear Cover

Is the rear diff. cover really difficult/impossible to remove in place? imp

My time looking at the rear diff whilst asking the same question has shown me that the cover cannot be removed without the whole assembly being pulled, mostly because the cover itself is a point of support for the housing (bolts to the subframe); and partly because there may not be enough clearance to even slip it out in the first place.

-Dubya

The rear cover has two of the three mounting bolts that support the diff in place so it can only be removed if the diff is dropped.

The rear cover has two of the three mounting bolts that support the diff in place so it can only be removed if the diff is dropped.

Ouch! Glad my '04 is still quiet and leak-tight at 136K! imp

Ouch! Glad my '04 is still quiet and leak-tight at 136K! imp

It's a bit of a pain.. Luckily diff covers don't usually leak

yeah my rear differential is leaking out at one of the cv shafts and also at the cover. I plan on removing the rear differential and replacing all the seals, new fluid, and a spartan locker back there while it is apart.

yeah my rear differential is leaking out at one of the cv shafts and also at the cover. I plan on removing the rear differential and replacing all the seals, new fluid, and a spartan locker back there while it is apart.

Thats what I did basically!

Replaced the seals in the front diff and holy crap no fluid came out of the front differential, it was bone dry! Glad nothing is broken/damaged. It s noticeable smoother though. I used amsoil 75w-90 gear oil in the front.

Replaced the seals in the front diff and holy crap no fluid came out of the front differential, it was bone dry! Glad nothing is broken/damaged. It s noticeable smoother though. I used amsoil 75w-90 gear oil in the front.

Holy crap that ain't good! Hope it holds up OK for ya.
Worst case you can get a front diff cheap from a junk yard I'm sure

Yeah it should be fine it was running fine with no fluid now it has fluid haha

Back