Just another reason that Ford's vehicle electronics are not ready for Prime Time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just another reason that Ford's vehicle electronics are not ready for Prime Time

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
I forget if this issue has been previously noted, but it's happened to me probably a half dozen times, and did again last night.

You arrive at your destination and don't shut the car off right away. Then with the radio playing, you shut the key off and remove it from the ignition. You wait in the car for a couple minutes doing something else before exiting the vehicle. Upon exiting, the key in ignition chime continues to sound and will not turn off.

The solution is to put the key back in the ignition, turn it on, then back off.

Just another issue that should have been resolved before putting the systems into service - or fixed in the past 3 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

key?........what's a key?.........ignition?

You can insert a key?

Yes, guys. Keys. They're sort of silvery in color, and have a jagged edge on one side.

I have some. I'll let you touch them if you promise to be careful.

Embrace the fob.......push button start forever!

This is the first post of this kind that I can recall. It has nothing to do with the Ford's electronic systems not being ready but more to do with just an ordinary fault. Things do tend to go wrong every now and then. In your case it seems it took about 4 years for this to occur.

Peter

This is the first post of this kind that I can recall. It has nothing to do with the Ford's electronic systems not being ready but more to do with just an ordinary fault. Things do tend to go wrong every now and then. In your case it seems it took about 4 years for this to occur.

Peter
No - this has happened a number of times, the last time being the other day.

And Sarge - the nice part about the jagged silver thingy is that when I exit the vehicle, is I never get one of those "key out of range" messages.:D

What would a key out of range message matter if you've exited the vehicle with the key in your pocket?

As far as I'm concerned the Keyless Access is another great application of technology. I've never locked my keys in my car...however with this technology its impossible to do that. Then theres the convenience of it and the remote start too. Whats not to like?

Sorry you're having a technical error with your key/ignition/accessory feature.

What would a key out of range message matter if you've exited the vehicle with the key in your pocket?

As far as I'm concerned the Keyless Access is another great application of technology. I've never locked my keys in my car...however with this technology its impossible to do that. Then theres the convenience of it and the remote start too. Whats not to like?

Sorry you're having a technical error with your key/ignition/accessory feature.
You can lock your 'keys' in the vehicle by using the SecuriLock keypad or by simply pushing down the lock button on the door or by using another keyfob. If you're talking about doing it accidentally, then yes, it is impossible to do using the button on the door handle.
I agree the Keyless Access is a great feature. I never use the 'fob' to lock/unlock the vehicle unless I'm using remote start.

Peter

Not ready for prime time?

Sorry to say it but technology is imperfect.. but to that point. Ive turned 2 GM products back in on Lemon law given poor quality and lack of reliability. My Fords for the last 20 yrs have out passed GMs stuff.. Not to say there is not room for improvement but even my families 2 audis and multiple BMWs have their flaws..YEP oh and my sons porche as well.

As for me Ill keep my FORD.. ( 3 fully loaded expeditions) and now a 15 x sport

Really? Haven't seen one of those for several years. Are all of your cars classics? :D

You bet. Of the 20 or so cars I've owned over the last 40 years, only one of them was new when I bought it.

And when I'm done with them, there is no meat left on the bone.

Sorry to say it but technology is imperfect.. but to that point. Ive turned 2 GM products back in on Lemon law given poor quality and lack of reliability. My Fords for the last 20 yrs have out passed GMs stuff.. Not to say there is not room for improvement but even my families 2 audis and multiple BMWs have their flaws..YEP oh and my sons porche as well.

As for me Ill keep my FORD.. ( 3 fully loaded expeditions) and now a 15 x sport

Yep, BMW's system had some issues - but that's no reason that Ford should have foisted Sync/MFT on us in 2011 in the state it was in. They have acknowledged how flawed it is, and impossible to make it work right, and offer all the promised features, by finally just changing the whole technology platform.

Yep, BMW's system had some issues - but that's no reason that Ford should have foisted Sync/MFT on us in 2011 in the state it was in. They have acknowledged how flawed it is, and impossible to make it work right, and offer all the promised features, by finally just changing the whole technology platform.

Technology moves ahead so quickly that "flawed" software is an industry(technology) acceptance. The difference being that technology companies(i.e. Apple, Microsoft, etc.) move quickly to "fix" their bread and butter software, whereas car manufacturers it takes a back seat.

For what it's worth. I never missed any of those 'promised' features and for what I use MFT for, it has been great both in my previous 2011 Ltd and my current MKT. As for the initial post in this thread, it seems that no one else has experienced or at least posted about the ignition chime situation. This then seemed to be more of an issue with just the OP's vehicle, not a widespread problem and definitely not a basis for saying Ford's electronics are not ready for prime time. I have had zero problems with the electronics in both vehicles.

Peter

Back