How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

My transmission just passed 160K but the o/d light is flashing, so I think she is finished

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sitting at 140k right now with only 1 transmission fluid change. no towing or up hill. mostly highway. shifts hard sometimes and will occasionally stall shifting out of reverse.

hopefully I can get a few more years out of it.

167k miles on my 2004 Eddie Bauer.
I just performed a filter and fluid swap on it at 166k miles.
Appears to be the 1st time it was ever changed (I am the 2nd owner).

Shifts perfect. No issues to date.

150k swapped solenoids at 142k fluid looked like new

My 02 xlt has 147,857 and the trans is fine. Doesn't slip and it runs great

I do not know why everyone is having so many problems unless it is because they change their fluid.

I don't understand the science/logic behind not changing the transmission fluid, it's a consumable item and gets used up like every other type of oil ever made.
One reason I think that there are some problems is because of the method of checking the transmission oil level - it is not intuitive. If it is checked cold with the motor off it is possible to think it is over filled when in reality if checked warm with the engine running it may be 2-3 quarts low. I'm not sure every mechanic knows this and would lead to problems even though it is stamped onto the transmission pan.

got the truck around 59,x.., apparently the tranny went before i got it. went when i had it since then, probably around 85-90l (reverse went, tranny replaced under ESP)

knock on wood its ok still. installed an aux trans cooler for added protection.

Original owner, 220,400...never flushed, never changed. Still shifts great. Occasionally (maybe 1 in 1000 shifts from park to reverse) it does not engage unless you give it a bump in the throttle or go back to park and wait a sec and try again.

64700 or so on mine. I don't beat it at all on the road, only hard acceleration if anything and I am very methodical about shifting into reverse and drive.. I always use the parking brake and make sure that those shifts are smooth as possible. That being said, it does clunk a bit into reverse... Not all the time but other than that it is fine. I wish it didn't make any noises or chunks but overall I am one of the fortunate ones. I would love for it to last to 150000 but even 10000 miles will be enough for me.

195,200 miles on '02 XLT 4.0.

Transmission has never been serviced in any way. Ford recommended a flush at 150K, but on the recommendation of members here, I didn't touch it. For the last ~3 years or so, I've been getting an occasional hard shift, but nothing major. Lots of highway miles and only occasional light towing.

My 2002 bought used had the original transmission (reason why I bought it because thats a good sign at the mileage it was at) Currently at 223,300(kilometres not miles) and still running strong, From what I heard these trannys aren't suspossed to change fluid till 250k which is odd. But the fluid still has half life left even though im so close to 250k.

6-2001 build date and just had the intermediate band fail. 99k on the clock.
I was leaving a slow cruise in 3rd, lever position, and as I tipped in pop. Lost it.

Only had it a couple months so I am displeased.
Time for a rebuild and a Torque Converter. Thinking on a Dirty Dog TC with 3000 rpm stall.

Any good advice?

r

247,000 miles on '03 V8 with Tow package. Change the oil every 3,000; I've flushed the transmission and replaced the rear differential fluid every 60k. She still runs and shifts great. Doesn't burn any oil but I have had to change many of the gaskets like the oil pan gasket and oil filter assembly gasket.

Still trucking

2004 with 196,000 original miles without any fluid changes. A lot of city driving but driven pretty easy

My '02 XLT is an early build so it didn't have sleeved servo bores like the '03+ models. If I remember it lasted about 120k. I'm at 240k now with an updated one and I haven't encountered any problems even after 3 years of heavy abuse.

Now sitting at 185,000 miles on the original tranny on my '03 4.0. Just this year I started getting a rough shift into 3rd after the engine warms up.

I also have power problems in overdrive (stutters a bit if I accelerate, but not enough to drop to a lower gear). That could be do due the fact that the plugs and wires haven't been touched since I bought it at 60,000 miles...

Oddly, I've always got pretty decent mileage until this past year (tranmission and/or plugs, I'm sure... Combined HWY and City over 3 years of tracking gives me almost 18mpg.

my first EX was an early build 02 and at 110,000 the trans went, and then at 125,000 the motor blew to pieces... but my 04 has 220,000 and is all original

6 months ago in a fit of rage i beat on my 04 with 106k. the next day it started slipping from 2nd to 3rd and of course the flashing OD light. I had it rebuilt for 1,200 with a 12k or 12 month warranty. I'll have to control my temper and take a bit more care of her now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced my original tranny at 165,000 with a jasper transmission. It now has 193,000; 28,000 on my jasper transmission. The jasper transmission shifts much better than my original transmission ever did!!

Back