• Register Today It's free!

code p0400 and p0401

twiford

Reaction score
City, State
lamar south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Ok,guy's i have a 2001 eb explorer v8 I've been getting my check engine light coming on pulled code's and got p0400 and p0401 and i get a miss at low speed sometimes motor is all stock with 155,000 mile's any idea's? I can put vacuum on the egr and the motor starts to stumble i get no vacuum out of the egr vacuum line at any engine speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you pull the DPFE sensor off to replace it, you might find it has melted or blown our at the rear, or, you might also find the DPFE hoses are split out. The hoses are hard to check without removing them.

Vacuum will only be applied to the egr valve when the PCM sends a signal to the egr vacuum regulator. Once it does this, it checks the DPFE sensor feedback for a "change" between the 2 hoses.

If the hoses leak, there will be no differential to feedback to the PCM, and the code p0401 pops up. p0400 means p0401 has happened often.

It still has the factory dpfe sensor ill also check the hose's too could it be the evr?

It still has the factory dpfe sensor ill also check the hose's too could it be the evr?

It could be, again it might be a broken vacuum source line, however, the most likely, even common problem s the DPFE and hoses.

Next likely suspect is the EGR tube off the manifold. It could be cracked, or, even clogged.

You might even have a cracked exhaust manifold on the passenger side. This problem has been discussed quite a bit on the forum, I do not recall much being said about the EVR solenoid.

A quick search for DPFE will show a lot of information, you will have to dig through it for v8 information, but in all actuality they are all the same process 1997 and up.

Don't appear to be any headder leaks the egr looks fine so does the hoses to tje dfpe i took it off and tried to blow trough it and i can't not sure if your suppose to or not

I'm going to get a motorcraft dpfe sensor and replace the old metal body one.

Back