Air Conditioning Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Conditioning Question

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I have a 2002 Explorer, Eddie Bauer that has the automatic climate system with towing package. I have replaced the condenser, compressor, charged it with freon, and replaced the two door blend actuators. I’m getting cold air out of the drivers side vents, but warm air initially out of the passenger vents that eventually gets cooler, but not as cold as the right side. About the only thing I have not replaced is the blend door itself. Should I replace that or could it be something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you probably have the dual temp control I would certainly check for a defective damper actuator or worse a problem with the temp control itself. What were the symptoms prior to replacing the parts? Did you have these current symptoms prior to the A/C quitting? Since you do have proper temp out of the drivers side vents I would assume for now that the mechanical components (excluding dash components) are fine and operating as intended. You did not mention if you changed the suction accumulator (which should be) when you changed the other parts. If it is the original they are prone to leaking through the side under the insulation.

Thanks for the response, I'm not sure where the damper actuator is, but I did have two actuators replaced. I also changed out the duel temp control unit and put in another with no real change. The AC for quite sometime has been weak on the passengers side, hence the reason I think it could be a bad blend door.

Probably not your situation but I had mice take up residence a few years back and cause a restriction of air flow on the passenger side. Your sounds like it is a damper problem. Make certain that a vacuum line has not fallen off.

A bad blend door will make a noise at a certain point when adjusting the rear control. There's 2 doors actually, one is the air flow vent (foot and ceiling) and the temp blend door. Normally it's the temp blend door that's bad (only when making the noise), no vacuum hoses to check there. Have you tried replacing the expansion valve at the rear? It could be clogged or you're just low on charge.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.380576288677195.84227.110528882348605&type=3

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

This may help for someone to solve this problem. I put the AC on "Dual" and one at time cranked each side down to 60 degrees. The Drivers side was very cool and had a lot of flow rate, but when I cranked down the Passengers side to 60 degrees it was not as cold as the Drivers side and had less flow rate?

I also changed out the whole dual control temp unit and the other performed exactly the same, so it is not the unit.

sorry I misunderstood the question, i thought it was the rear ac issue.

you can check any fault code by running the self diagnostic test on the DATC.
here's how;

* press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and release
* then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. the display will show a blower icon for 20 seconds and then will show the DTC code.

the module should display 2266 - 2268 errors for the blend door (either left or right or both blend doors)

if it's 0 then there are no errors detected and you have to check for pinch hoses or vacuum lines.

MY MOUNTY

Esclamada,

I did exactly what you said and saw the blower, but after 20 seconds it showed exit temperatures on both sides and a few other lights, like both seat warmers, etc., but no codes or zero.

Where would I check for pinched hoses or vacuum lines, behind the glove box?

I can send the troubleshooting steps from my shop manuals upon request. :D:thumbsup:

BigRondo, Please send the AC trouble shooting steps, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Roger that. :salute:

I'll need a bit more than good luck, this is a serious manual, but thanks for the information!

Look through the manual and find the symptoms section. Locate your symptom and it will tell you what pinpoint test applies. Then locate the pinpoint test and follow the steps. The shop manuals are a lifesaver.

Excellent advice! Thanks again

You're welcome. Let me know if there is anything else you need. :thumbsup:

Esclamada,

I did exactly what you said and saw the blower, but after 20 seconds it showed exit temperatures on both sides and a few other lights, like both seat warmers, etc., but no codes or zero.

Where would I check for pinched hoses or vacuum lines, behind the glove box?

that requires a lot of searching, luckily BigRondo has the service manual loaded for you.

here's a link that you could use too..

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/ex...8_0069_)/system_information/system_diagnosis/

MY MOUNTY

At long last I have finally solved my AC problem. After thinking about it further I had the system charged up again with Freon and once charged both sides produced cool air, but the passenger side was slightly less cold which I heard is normal, hardly ever are both sides exact. A week after the recharge the passenger side became warm and then the driver's side went warm. Since die was in the Freon I had it checked for leaks and low and behold a leak was found beneath the insulation of an aluminum tube that went from the front of car to the back, just below the passenger doors. I had it welded and the system finally works as it should. This was tricky because the leak was slow.

So I know you say you filled with Freon, I would ensure its the correct amount and not "low". My gauge was messed up and until full of freon my 2003 did the exact same thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's very common if the AC unit is low on Freon for the passenger side to become warm and then shortly thereafter the driver's side becomes warm. My problem was that I had a very slow leak in a strange area and semi difficult to detect, certainly not when connected to the machine, too slow of leak. I'm fairly confident it's filled to capacity, it works great.

Back