Rattle - help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle - help!

croll326

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I have a rattle on the passenger side that is somewhere between the B pillar and the headrest of the read seat - I think. I can't locate it at all and it drives me nuts. Folding 2nd row seems to help but doesn't eliminate it. I have checked the obvious things. Anyone else have this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your passenger side seat belt..!

Behind the 2nd row seats, check the brackets that pivot when folding, that hold the folding portion of the rear deck. They could be loose or not fully engaged. Also in this area, check the hinges on the same folding section. They have been known to pull loose/break away from the deck material. I had the same problem....it was the hinges broke loose. best regards Plum

Check for dry or sticking door weatherstrip seals. Cleaning and conditioning solved my "B" pillar rattles and squeaks.

I have an annoying rattle that I've found. My 2nd row bucket seat headrest on the passenger side.... Sometimes you have to fold it down and then back up really hard to stop it. The other comes from the track area do that same seat and I can't seem to pinpoint it.

I had similar rattle and it was actually the coat hanger hook that was loose

I have an annoying rattle coming from under the front passenger seat. It sounds like metal to metal ticking everytime i hit a bump or rough ride. If i press on the seat, the rattle goes away. Shows poor workmanship and cheap materials... or maybe rushing to build them and lacking quality.

I will have to check underneath if something is loose or a piece of metal is dangling, who knows....

The rattle seems to go away when someone sits in the back passenger side seat. Having the 3rd seats up doesn't fix it and neither does an adult in the front passenger seat. I tightened the coat hook/light screw - still there.

Also having 2nd row folded doesn't help

Also having 2nd row folded doesn't help

If the rattle disappears when someone is sitting in the passenger chair, then fold the passenger seat and lift as if letting someone in the third row. Look at the floor and you'll see the metal loop that the second row seat locks into. I used some duct tape and wrap maybe 2 or 3 turns around the loop. Now put the seat back into it's locked position. It should latch no problem unless you wrapped the tape too many times. Go for a ride with no one sitting in the chair. The rattle should be gone. Worked like a charm for me. Even the Ford guys couldn't figure it out.

I have a creak I hear when going over speed bumps or small bumps while moving below 10 mph coming from the passenger side area. I think it's somewhere in the B-pillar area. 1070 Miles on my Sport, I've heard it since day one.

I sprayed some grease on the passenger seat base joints and where the base foot meets any plastic. Squeaks gone. Will monitor when they come back! Now I enjoy the nice quiet ride. Basically some plastic covers were squeaking against other metal objects, cheap plastic...

I sprayed some grease on the passenger seat base joints and where the base foot meets any plastic. Squeaks gone. Will monitor when they come back! Now I enjoy the nice quiet ride. Basically some plastic covers were squeaking against other metal objects, cheap plastic...

Hmm.. I'll have to inspect to see if that's where my sounds are coming from.

If the rattle disappears when someone is sitting in the passenger chair, then fold the passenger seat and lift as if letting someone in the third row. Look at the floor and you'll see the metal loop that the second row seat locks into. I used some duct tape and wrap maybe 2 or 3 turns around the loop. Now put the seat back into it's locked position. It should latch no problem unless you wrapped the tape too many times. Go for a ride with no one sitting in the chair. The rattle should be gone. Worked like a charm for me. Even the Ford guys couldn't figure it out.

I've been driving around with the 2nd row seat folded up like someone was getting in the 3rd row. Noise is still there.

Tape under 2nd row seat mounting points and conditioned weatherstripping. No fix.

I have had mine in to the dealer 3 times for this exact problem. There is a piece inside your right rear seat that runs up to the headrest that is broken. You need to take it to the dealer to have it replaced. Unfortunately, the piece they replace it with keeps failing on mine. They finally replaced the whole seat mechanism, but it has returned again within the last month. It seems like it is caused by folding the second row - although isn't that what it's made to do! Good luck on your fix!

I have a rattle on the passenger side that is somewhere between the B pillar and the headrest of the read seat - I think. I can't locate it at all and it drives me nuts. Folding 2nd row seems to help but doesn't eliminate it. I have checked the obvious things. Anyone else have this?

Hi gang,

If you have a pesky sound that's proving hard to track down like croll326, make sure you bring it to the attention of your dealership so they can help. After you've had your appointment, be sure to post the results for the rest of the folks. I'll check in on this thread to see if anyone needs my assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had mine in to the dealer 3 times for this exact problem. There is a piece inside your right rear seat that runs up to the headrest that is broken. You need to take it to the dealer to have it replaced. Unfortunately, the piece they replace it with keeps failing on mine. They finally replaced the whole seat mechanism, but it has returned again within the last month. It seems like it is caused by folding the second row - although isn't that what it's made to do! Good luck on your fix!

What does this piece do? I'm about to tear my seat out. It's maddening!

Back