1st gen 91' explorer MC Brake Upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen 91' explorer MC Brake Upgrade?

El Acostado

Reaction score
City, State
Monterrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2 Door 1991
Hi there guys!

I made a SAS on my 91' it looks and works awesome, I'll soon post pictures.

Only problem I have is that the brake pedal goes all the way down and it feels like it lacks a lot of braking power.

I installed a pair of d44 from a wagoneer, front disk and rear drums.

I have already bleed the whole system like 6 times, maybe I spend 2 liters of braking fluid and still the same results, also I have already replaced the whole brake pump and still the same result, maybe even worst.

So I was thinking and looking everywhere on the internet what would be a good upgrade, but I can't seem to find the correct information.

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't think they really make on.

I guess so, but I was thinking more like what pump would fit my explorer and if it needs to be bigger or smaller (the cylinder) or another kind of solution to fix this thing bcs its a little bit dangerous.

how do you have your brake lines run? I ran mine from the front calipers and the rear wheel cylinders straight to the master cylinder eliminating the abs stuff. Mine will lock up all 4 tires on dry pavement. It is the stock '94 brake booster and master cylinder to a 1979 dana 44 disc brake front and 1989 f150 8.8 drum brakes.

^^^was going to say maybe the abs is bad.

I have a d44 sas, and had this problem for a month, I even got the larger 1 1/8" piston master from a hd truck (which didn't solve it either), then I randomly got a couple adapter fittings and switched around the 2 lines going into the master......that was mother's day 2010, I have had tire-skidding brakes ever since.

no idea how, or why it works. just does

Ok just for the record.

I solved this issue a month ago.

This is what I did:

First, I removed the ABS valve and re connected the lines, didnt work out, I still had the same problem, brake power was really poor.

Then I went to Autozone and got a 1991 F-350 brake pump, wich I think it has the 1 1/8 piston, then I got the valve that goes into the brake pump originally in the F-350, got it from a junk yard because absolutely no one sells it used.

Done the adaptors, installed, bleeded the lines and that was it, all my brake issues have been solved, it works great now.

:)

Might have to look into this some more myself since the brakes have sucked on my Ex ever since the SAS. I might also have one leaky caliper and one leaky wheel cylinder. Any idea if line size matters? I used 3/16" line. :roll:

The MC from a 97 X is a direct bolt on, and has a larger Bore.

Ok just for the record.

I solved this issue a month ago.

This is what I did:

First, I removed the ABS valve and re connected the lines, didnt work out, I still had the same problem, brake power was really poor.

Then I went to Autozone and got a 1991 F-350 brake pump, wich I think it has the 1 1/8 piston, then I got the valve that goes into the brake pump originally in the F-350, got it from a junk yard because absolutely no one sells it used.

Done the adaptors, installed, bleeded the lines and that was it, all my brake issues have been solved, it works great now.

:)

Can you get a pic of the valve and the Ford part number off of it?

Back