Rotor Corrosion

FNM

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 2011
Hi there,

First time posting though I've been on many car forums in the past and did check the search before posting ;)

I've got a 2011 limited with 28k miles owned from new. Took it in today as the breaks were squealing when the breaks were NOT depressed and turns out I need new pads (get that) and new rotors (?). Was quite shocked at the rotors but the Ford guys showed me heavy corrosion on the rears and said salt on the road etc causes it. Fronts were better - they said they would cut, but won't do the rears.

My question is, (as i'm guessing i'm not using my Explorer enough to prevent the wear) - does anyone / would anyone use Autozone pads/discs or are their better places to buy? This is my first Ford and more used to Japanese models (what's good/not)

I'm going to stick my neck out and 'assume' the rotors Ford provide in addition to being expensive are poor quality metal as I haven't ever experienced 28k bad rotors in any car i've owed inc sports cars and I certainly don't have the same issue on the car sitting right next to it on the driveway. I'd like to get a feel for what people are/would use - guessing the front rotors will need replacing too in circa 30k

Appreciate any thoughts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum FNM.:wavey:
There are several threads on different BRAKE issues. Corrosion/rust would, I think, be a sign that the vehicle is likely not driven enough. I had just 11,200 miles on mine in 3 years and never ran into a problem with the brakes. There have been posts about rotors being warped or worn in cases with low mileage.
I for one would not have any problems with Ford replacement parts.
One member with a 2011 did his first rear brake replacement at 98,000+ miles and the fronts were still good so I doubt it is a quality issue in all cases.

Peter

From what I've read the explorer is hard on the rear brakes, has to do with the AWD system and traction control. I would steer clear of autozone parts(durajunk). Their rotors and pads are garbage.

The ford Rotors and pads are superior to duralast. If you want to go OEM replacements, I recommend rockauto.com, it's where i get most my parts. Shipping on rockauto can be a little high when you get rotors. I would also check tirerack.com. Their brakes are more expensive but they ship for free, so it might be cheaper.

If you want something other than OEM I recommend Centric brand BLANK rotors. I use the cryo treated, high carbon version of these blanks on my 600hp Mustang Cobra and they have been great. They perform very well and are very reasonable in cost. For your explorer:
Front#12061102
Rear#12061081

For pads I prefer the high performance Hawk brand.

You can also check out the vendors that help support this Forum by clicking on the Vendors tab at the top of the page.

Peter

thanks for the excellent inputs all - appreciate it & very helpful!

I think i'm going to do an experiment of making sure the Explorer is used more often and see if that makes a difference. If they go in a similar period again then i'll def go for the coated ones. Had a feeling Autozone was turd but really didn't want to put a set of Brembo's on there on the flip side ;)

thanks for the excellent inputs all - appreciate it & very helpful!

I think i'm going to do an experiment of making sure the Explorer is used more often and see if that makes a difference. If they go in a similar period again then i'll def go for the coated ones. Had a feeling Autozone was turd but really didn't want to put a set of Brembo's on there on the flip side ;)

Before the Ex I had a GMC Jimmy as a secondary vehicle. The last 5 years I had it I only put about 3k a year on it always parked outside. No prob with brakes/rotors. Actually, no prob with anything, though the first three years I owned it (had it for 16 years) it was in an out of the shop under warranty more times than I can count. Transmission went at 18k.

40k to 130k, nary a problem. Sometimes if you don't give up, you end up with essentially a new and flawless car fixed under warranty at 40k that may have been a lemon.

Regardless, needing new rotors so soon for the OP makes no sense to me.

Back