Thermostat Question

chris8428

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Gents,

I am new to this site, and so far have found it very informative. I have a 2005 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC. It has 67,500 miles and has always received regular oil changes and service for general maintenance. Some of this done by shops and some by me.

The temperature gauge has always registered on the cool side, as in right at the first indicator line, except when driven on long trips where the vehicle is running all day, or in outside temps above 90 degrees.

Recently the check engine light came on and when I had the code read the service person told me it was a low thermostat temperature warning and that I needed a new thermostat.

My question is, can a thermostat fail in an open position? I thought failures occurred in a closed position and caused overheating. And related to that I did a general Google search and a search on this forum for a guide to replace the thermostat, but I did not find a guide specific for a third generation Explorer. I found lots of second generation info, but that 4.0 SOHC appears to have a different set up. Can anyone direct me to a good write up?

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same prob as I had on purchase recently , running too cool , doesn't matter how it fails , .
Or why really : you've got the problem, & its an easy fix : I got a new stat for less than 7 quid from Euro car parts & swapped it in about 30 mins.

Now runs a whole load better , & is doing better mpg from 12 .> 15 & best of all, as it now runs hotter , it doesn't stall at slow manouvering speeds, when its running on LPG , as the LPG is warmed & expanded properly !!

Go for it

So first I am sorry it has taken me so long to post a thank you to esclamada. I moved to Northern Colorado and changed jobs so I put this project off until a few days ago. Thanks to the diagram the job took five minutes.

Chris

Back