Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Learn something new every day. Hopefully the salesmen have now been instructed to NOT promise installation of the towing package on a used car. I also learned that the gear ratio is different on vehicles that are factory equipped. Huh, who knew??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed the factory towing package on my 2013. Along with the hitch kit that has already been mentioned, I also installed the factory "Tow" button and swapped in the factoring tow package wiring harness at the rear bumper including the factory 7 pin and 4 pin connectors. I wasn't sure if the tow button would work without having to visit the dealer, but after installing the button it works! Push the button and an indicator appears on the dash and the shifts noticeably change. I was hoping that all of the programming would already be in the computer and would function as long as the correct hardware was in place. It turns out I was right!

Bumper wiring harnes: DB5Z15K868L (note my EX has blind spot monitor and keyless entry)

Tow Mode Button Panel: BB5Z13D730CA (provisions for rear hatch and tow)

Just to re-confirm, installing the button on a friend's '13 Explorer Limited with Auto Park enabled the Tow Mode. Simple plug & play. To remove the old button, there is a cover on the side of the dash panel, after opening the driver's door, removing it will give some access to push the button out from behind.

We used this button from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230863025893

This is for a Explorer with Auto Park & power rear hatch.

Learn something new every day. Hopefully the salesmen have now been instructed to NOT promise installation of the towing package on a used car. I also learned that the gear ratio is different on vehicles that are factory equipped. Huh, who knew??

There are different shift points with the tow package when using the tow/haul mode but the axle ratios are the same on the tow package and non tow package vehicles.

Axle ratios are only different between motors and whether they are FWD or AWD.

3.5 AWD = 3.65
3.5 FWD = 3.39
2.0 FWD = 3.36
Sport = 3.16

I just noticed that you have a 2013, that's probably why it is not coming up for me. I wonder if this is also doable on my 2012 ?

Thanks

The button should be the same for all 2011-2014 explorers. The problem is with the link I posted, not the part number itself. For some reason, it seems that Fordparts.com will only show you the parts that would be originally available from the factory for the car (vin number) that you enter on the site. So I went to autotrader and found the vin of a 2013 sport with tow and then used its vin to search with. Anyway, it just looks like you can't link directly from Fordparts. Here is a link to an ebay listing for the button that I bought.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360924052070?nav=VI

The button should be the same for all 2011-2014 explorers. The problem is with the link I posted, not the part number itself. For some reason, it seems that Fordparts.com will only show you the parts that would be originally available from the factory for the car (vin number) that you enter on the site. So I went to autotrader and found the vin of a 2013 sport with tow and then used its vin to search with. Anyway, it just looks like you can't link directly from Fordparts. Here is a link to an ebay listing for the button that I bought.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360924052070?nav=VI

Thanks for the link, I see where my problem is now. I don't have that row of buttons under the light switch. I guess you only get that if you have power liftgate or factory tow. That's unfortunate would of really loved to get that tow button for the shift points.

Thanks !

Thanks for the link, I see where my problem is now. I don't have that row of buttons under the light switch. I guess you only get that if you have power liftgate or factory tow. That's unfortunate would of really loved to get that tow button for the shift points.

Thanks !

I searched autotrader and found this xlt with tow package and no power lift gate.
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=366700804&numRecords=15&firstRecord=1&zip=73012&searchType=both

You can see in the pictures that this is the correct explorer to use as an example. Using its vin number on Fordparts.com led me to the following part numbers for the tow button and trim bezel that surrounds it.

BB5Z13D730EA ----> tow button
BB5Z7804338DB ----> trim bezel

As for the wiring harness that would plug into the buttons I'm hoping that it is just coiled up back inside the dash under where the trim bezel goes. I'll look around a bit to see if I can confirm that the wiring is there or not. In the meantime you could pop the bezel on yours off and see what's back there. This assumes that you want to proceed with installing the tow button :)

I searched autotrader and found this xlt with tow package and no power lift gate.
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=366700804&numRecords=15&firstRecord=1&zip=73012&searchType=both

You can see in the pictures that this is the correct explorer to use as an example. Using its vin number on Fordparts.com led me to the following part numbers for the tow button and trim bezel that surrounds it.

BB5Z13D730EA ----> tow button
BB5Z7804338DB ----> trim bezel

As for the wiring harness that would plug into the buttons I'm hoping that it is just coiled up back inside the dash under where the trim bezel goes. I'll look around a bit to see if I can confirm that the wiring is there or not. In the meantime you could pop the bezel on yours off and see what's back there. This assumes that you want to proceed with installing the tow button :)

That is awesome, thank you so much for this. I will see if I can reach/see behind the bezel tonight and verify that the wiring Harness is there. If so I will most definitely go forward with this install.

If successful I will take pics and write up a little install guide :)

Cheers !

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, tow packages have a different transmission. Without changing the transmission out too, I don't think it's possible to bring a non-tow Ex up to a factory tow package.

I doubt that the transmissions are different. When selecting the Tow Package, the details mention what it includes that is different from the non tow vehicle and the transmission is not mentioned. With the tow package you get a tow/haul switch that changes the transmission shift points and I believe also cuts out the overdrive.

Peter

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, tow packages have a different transmission. Without changing the transmission out too, I don't think it's possible to bring a non-tow Ex up to a factory tow package.

The transmissions are exactly the same, tow package or not.

Tow button

I just installed the factory towing package on my 2013. Along with the hitch kit that has already been mentioned, I also installed the factory "Tow" button and swapped in the factoring tow package wiring harness at the rear bumper including the factory 7 pin and 4 pin connectors. I wasn't sure if the tow button would work without having to visit the dealer, but after installing the button it works! Push the button and an indicator appears on the dash and the shifts noticeably change. I was hoping that all of the programming would already be in the computer and would function as long as the correct hardware was in place. It turns out I was right!

Bumper wiring harnes: DB5Z15K868L (note my EX has blind spot monitor and keyless entry)

Tow Mode Button Panel: BB5Z13D730CA (provisions for rear hatch and tow)
:ca:
Thanks , just wandering that you said Tow button or Tow haul button, my explorer has the Tow button which is the anti sway, but looking to get the Tow Haul button, for tranny shift,would it fit in my 13 XLT , I ordered the part that you nicely put for us, but it only has the 2 buttons, have ordered another one from Ford which I think is the 3 button, tail gate/ Tow/ tow haul, it's only $30 & hope that it will just plug in, pretty cheap to try, I'll post when I get it and install, love my Explorer & all the posts. Happy motoring

Thanks , just wandering that you said Tow button or Tow haul button, my explorer has the Tow button which is the anti sway, but looking to get the Tow Haul button, for tranny shift,would it fit in my 13 XLT , I ordered the part that you nicely put for us, but it only has the 2 buttons, have ordered another one from Ford which I think is the 3 button, tail gate/ Tow/ tow haul, it's only $30 & hope that it will just plug in, pretty cheap to try, I'll post when I get it and install, love my Explorer & all the posts. Happy motoring

There's only one tow button. The third button is self park I think or something like that.

The transmissions are exactly the same, tow package or not.

The standard transmission on the 3.5L XLT without tow is the "44J". The tranmssion on the 3.5L XLT with tow package is "44C".

The tech document says that the 44C is required on and only available with the tow package.

The transmissions are different and I wouldn't tow more than 2,000 lbs with any 2011-2015 Explorer that didn't have the factory tow package including the 44C transmission.

So I have the tow package with a Tow button, big hitch, what I'm trying to figure out when I push the trailer button Anti- sway comes up on the panel, I don't know if the trailer haul is active or do I have it ??? Thanks for helping

I didn't have the TOW switch on my 2011 but there was an ON/OFF setting for it in the left information display. I believe that with the Tow/Haul switch engaged, the transmission shift points change and the overdrive is locked out. Have you noticed any of these changes with the switch ON?

Peter

Thanks Peter, no I haven't, but will try to see if I notice anything different when I engage the Tow,

OK , how to put this, I'm going blind, lol, I put my glasses on and finally saw the Tow/haul light, (very small ) I'm very happy now & going to Tow my new travel trailer next weekend, I did find that using manual tranny worked well but had to keep tunes turned down to hear revs, yes I could look on the panel but everyonce in a while I get them up, thanks luv this form

Hopefully everyone is right on the switch. I just got my switch in and installed it. Just as everyone said, when I depress the button, a large yellow warning box comes up letting me know I engaged the tow/haul. After hitting ok, in some of the smallest print I have seen, it says tow/haul. I have not tried it yet but everything is lighting up. I'll try to drive tomorrow in/out of the mode and watch the rpm's to see when it shifts and try to make more attention. The OD mode will be easy to determine and I would think if that is locked out, the rest likely comes along with it.

Guys, I don't want to belabor the point but the factory tow package comes with a different transmission from the non-tow version. This isn't an accident - it's done on purpose and for a reason. Please consider carefully towing more than the rated 2,000 lbs with a 2011-2015 Explorer that didn't come with a factory tow package installed.

A transmission is a terrible thing to waste.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, I don't want to belabor the point but the factory tow package comes with a different transmission from the non-tow version. This isn't an accident - it's done on purpose and for a reason. Please consider carefully towing more than the rated 2,000 lbs with a 2011-2015 Explorer that didn't come with a factory tow package installed.

A transmission is a terrible thing to waste.

I really don't think this is true. Having looked on the parts site I don't really see different trannies. I see differences based on build date and year which is obviously to be expected but not multiple variations like you report.

The tranny has a flash built into the ECU for towing that is accessed with the tow button. This changes shift patterns to ease strain on the tranny and the button can be easily added as stated in this thread.

The oil cooler is really the main part I would want. Though if you watch temps and change oil religiously this is not a huge concern. I have a sport so I had one no matter what.

Back