2001 5.0 AWD: DY847 vs DY835 O2 sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 5.0 AWD: DY847 vs DY835 O2 sensor?

Cranmaro99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Simple (hopefully) question for ya'll:

I'm replacing BOTH of my upstream O2 sensors on my 2001 5.0 AWD Limited Explorer.

I want to get the stock Motorcraft replacements for obvious reasons.

However, Rockauto.com lists two motor craft models for upstream: DY847 & DY835.

I cannot find the different between them. Is one for the passenger side and the other for driver side? Are they all the same? Which sensor should I purchase?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably different length cables for left and right sides ... but that's just a guess.

Edit: DY-835 is the only one listed on the Ford parts site, and it shows the same one for both sides.

Probably different length cables for left and right sides ... but that's just a guess.

Edit: DY-835 is the only one listed on the Ford parts site, and it shows the same one for both sides.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably just buy two of those and cross my fingers...

If memory serves, the only difference is cable length.

Without looking myself, are they priced the same?

Yes they are pretty much the same price.

Motorcraft doesn't make any O2 sensors themselves so they buy others and mark them up. Bosch, or Denso are higher quality or equal at least, and I am guessing less money.

Motorcraft doesn't make any O2 sensors themselves so they buy others and mark them up. Bosch, or Denso are higher quality or equal at least, and I am guessing less money.

Yeah, that may be true or not (not disagreeing with you, I just don't have that knowledge), but everyone says to get the motor craft ones. Numerous people on this forum with results to show it, so I'm just going to go that route.

I just didn't know which of their two models to buy!

Looks like they have the same part numbers, except one has suffix AA (and says grey connector) and the other has BA.

The AA part number has the Rockauto heart, so must be more popular. If you click on the DY835 number, that sensor fits many other Fords and the other sensor does not.

Google the part number to look for fitment, or call Rockauto

If you look on the Motorcraft site, only DY-835 is listed for 5.0L, 2001. Input there your VIN number and you will see which is correct. The exact same sensor fit for example in my 1996 Sable Duratec - so they are not that "special".
However, Motorcraft doesn't make oxygen sensors, they just rebrand ones made by Bosch. If you like to pay double for same quality, then go with Motorcraft.

If you look on the Motorcraft site, DY-835 is listed for 5.0L.
However, Motorcraft doesn't make oxygen sensors, they just rebrand ones made by Bosch. If you like to pay double for same quality, then go with Motorcraft.

Not neccesarily true. Tested within tolerance get the Motocraft label.

No motorcraft label might be within ford's tolerance limits, might not.

If you look on the Motorcraft site, DY-835 is listed for 5.0L.

Totally agree...Bosch make some of the best O2 sensors. I think they invented the lambda sensor back in the 80's

So long story short, get two DY835 Motocraft sensors?

Small request - when you get the Motorcraft ones, post here a close-up picture. If Bosch is not clearly stamped, it will have at least the logo.
Bosch_003.png

Here is a Motorcraft DY843 close-up picture:
682772379_tp.png
682772353_tp.png

682772399_o.png

Small request - when you get the Motorcraft ones, post here a close-up picture. If Bosch is not clearly stamped, it will have at least the logo.
Bosch_003.png

Here is a Motorcraft DY843 close-up picture:
682772379_tp.png
682772353_tp.png

682772399_o.png

Will do, I'll keep the thread updated.

So long story short, get two DY835 Motocraft sensors?

Still haven't gotten an answer to this, though. Haha.

Sorry I forgot to post the picture as I don't have the O2 sensors with me at the moment; but I did not see the Bosch logo/stamp on the sensor when I looked at it. It did say "Made in Germany", however.

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question as the OP. dy845, dy 847 or both (one left one right)?

The connectors will be different for each O2 sensor. I recall I used two Motorcraft sensors but also bought two Bosch etc, as spares. They were almost identical, same lengths etc, so the best brands will work fine.

Take your time replacing the passenger side O2, that one the connector is way up on top of the trans, tough to reach if you have short or fat arms.

Back