Hope Ford introduces the 2015 Everest to the US Market | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hope Ford introduces the 2015 Everest to the US Market

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You seem to be an older body on frame/locking differential Ex owner who prefers a more rugged and truck-like SUV. I get it. I posted a little ways back how my Escape at the beach will probably eventually be replaced with a Cherokee Trialhawk given how urbanized the Escape has become. The current Ex fits my needs around Philly just fine and for light beach driving, but I think Ford is missing out on a lot of older generation Ex owners who prefer what this concept is offering.

Just another front wheel drive SUV?

It's probably just another front wheel drive SUV with different sheet metal. BMW has finally realized there is still a market for rear wheel drive SUVs but their model is stubby looking and too expensive for me. I'm waiting for the "aggressive look" fad to wear off and then probably buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Toyota 4 Runner if they're still offered in RWD.

Sweet Dodge Durango

It's probably just another front wheel drive SUV with different sheet metal. BMW has finally realized there is still a market for rear wheel drive SUVs but their model is stubby looking and too expensive for me. I'm waiting for the "aggressive look" fad to wear off and then probably buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Toyota 4 Runner if they're still offered in RWD.

At least from the looks of it, it is higher off the ground and has a higher front end without an air dam like the Ex so it can manage sharper grade changes in terrain. Skid plates would still be nice, and if it has them it may be locking differential 4 wheel.

Range Rovers and Cherokees have gone unibody and are considered better and stronger than the traditional body over frame with the way they are built these days.

You don't seem to be a fan of the front to all wheel, but the Ford all wheel is fine for all but the toughest off road situations. The key is having a locking differential for permanent 4 wheel for really tough situations and the Ex does not have that. Air suspension is nice, but gets pricey. The ground clearance of the pictured prototype seems quite adequate.

I suspect the higher clearance and lack of air dam will decrease mpg to much for new epa requirements so it is unlikely we will see it here.

If jeep can fix the grand Cherokee and Cherokee most off road fans will go there.

My early off road tests would indicate most buyers will be satisfied with what the EX can handle as they will not likely enjoy trails the EX can easily handle and anything more difficult would be unthinkable for the average buyer.

I suspect the higher clearance and lack of air dam will decrease mpg to much for new epa requirements so it is unlikely we will see it here.

If jeep can fix the grand Cherokee and Cherokee most off road fans will go there.

My early off road tests would indicate most buyers will be satisfied with what the EX can handle as they will not likely enjoy trails the EX can easily handle and anything more difficult would be unthinkable for the average buyer.

Take a look at the ground clearance and high front end on the new Cherokee - especially the Trailhawk. That obviously passed EPA MPG requirements.

I just find it interesting Ford has a prototype for what appears to be a more typical off road SUV for worldwide consumption but no word of offering it in the U.S. I know most people in the U.S. don't do rugged off road and this prototype would be good for less developed counties without good roads, and while I do go off road, I think a lot in the U.S. who don't still like the thought of knowing they can along with the rugged look. Just look how many Hummers sold. I doubt many went off road. Yeah, nobody wants a gas guzzler like that anymore, but I think people would buy that prototype linked above in the U.S.

When the Everest article was covered by Ford Authority several months ago it also indicated at that time that Ford was not bringing it to the North American market.

Peter

Take a look at the ground clearance and high front end on the new Cherokee - especially the Trailhawk. That obviously passed EPA MPG requirements.

I just find it interesting Ford has a prototype for what appears to be a more typical off road SUV for worldwide consumption but no word of offering it in the U.S. I know most people in the U.S. don't do rugged off road and this prototype would be good for less developed counties without good roads, and while I do go off road, I think a lot in the U.S. who don't still like the thought of knowing they can along with the rugged look. Just look how many Hummers sold. I doubt many went off road. Yeah, nobody wants a gas guzzler like that anymore, but I think people would buy that prototype linked above in the U.S.

Of course the Everest could be brought to NA, but the fines from the EPA are for average fleet mpg not individual vehicles.

People who really want better off road are going to gravitate towards jeeps and real 4wd not awd. Makes little sense to through all the expense to import for very few sales and a hit against fleet mpg imo.

Does not mean it could not or will not be done. Just does not seem likely imo.

The EX is already more capable with awd than most Americans want. Asia is a different story.

I think the Everest looks nice, I like the explorer but it's built only to drive on the road. I don't mind getting a nice car dirty but the new explorer you take it off roading, your have to worry about the bumper and rocks like in Hawaii. The lava will scrape the hell out of the bumper.

I think the Everest looks nice, I like the explorer but it's built only to drive on the road. I don't mind getting a nice car dirty but the new explorer you take it off roading, your have to worry about the bumper and rocks like in Hawaii. The lava will scrape the hell out of the bumper.

Actually, if they built it off shore for a few years and worked the bugs out of the new factory AND added real 4wd to this version it might be a successful niche product competitor to the jeep products in NA.

Actually, if they built it off shore for a few years and worked the bugs out of the new factory AND added real 4wd to this version it might be a successful niche product competitor to the jeep products in NA.

That's what I'd like to see from Ford. They don't need to go all out and turn themselves into Jeep, but I'd like to see a true 4wd, off road SUV option in the U.S.

With Alan Mullaly as CEO of Ford, I don't think that will ever happen. The previous ceo did a much better job for ford. This ceo sold land rover, jaguar, volvo and aston martin. I don't know what to say about ford's future. The reason I bought a 2006 Explorer awhile back, because I know Ford was using quality parts incorporated from their other premium line of vehicles.

Except the only market they got for us suv owners is going to the f-150. The new ford expedition 2015 interior wise is nice, but exterior it has half-ass job. They redesign the front and the back is still the same.

........ The previous ceo did a much better job for ford. This ceo sold land rover, jaguar, volvo and aston martin. I don't know what to say about ford's future.. ...........
That probably was a very shrewd business move since none of those are what one would call high sellers, especially in the North American market. Ford, in my opinion has an excellent future and currently sits 2nd just behind GM in U.S. and 4th in world sales. It's still number 1 in Canada, so what's not to like?

Peter

That probably was a very shrewd business move since none of those are what one would call high sellers, especially in the North American market. Ford, in my opinion has an excellent future and currently sits 2nd just behind GM in U.S. and 4th in world sales. It's still number 1 in Canada, so what's not to like?

Peter

Peter is correct

But the die hards on this forum may defect to jeep or some truck or ....

But ford will likely sell a lot of stuff to many others

This suv would have looked nice in the early 2000's. It looks dated to me.

This suv would have looked nice in the early 2000's. It looks dated to me.

In a way, but it is made for off road - and it's not as boxy as 10 year old SUV's. It's more how SUV's used to be made - higher off the ground, no sleek low air dams that hinder off road.

It was called a sports Utility vehicle for a reason. They were utilitarian to perform a function like a truck would. Now they are sleek crossovers to appeal to street drivers, which is fine.

Yeah, the Escape from two models ago was boxy, but it was high off the ground and locking 4 wheel with recovery points. The new, sleek Escape where a lot of people like the looks has no chance off road.

However, that's why I said Ford should not become Jeep because most buyers don't off road and like the sleeker look, but for those that do off road like me I see a very practical off road SUV in the Everest for a niche market, and I personally don't expect an off road utility to have the lines of a Ferrari. Too sleek lines on what is supposed to be a rugged, off road vehicle don't work for me. Note with trucks Ford has kept the rugged look, though they have rounded off the edges just a bit.

I'll be holding onto my '97 a weeeeeeee bit longer.

Totally looks like the new Durango.

Yeah, I looked at a Durango. More traditional look. While my Ex will handle most of my beach driving, the tough areas are what the Escape is for - and the Ford AWD on it works great. It's the previous model and where I ripped off the front plastic air dam so it had the clearance I was looking for and I added a hitch for recovery. It's great over sand with 16's with high walled tires due to its light weight.

Since most of my driving with the Ex is city/suburban it fits the bill. Honestly, the looks of the Ex really jumped out at me. We have Range Rovers, MB GL's and BMW X5's all over where a live. Not many Ex's so it was something different, and in the pearl white it really shows off its lines that I like. I just really liked the looks and found with the features and options available on it fit the bill for me.

For those who prefer the look of the older Ex's, I can see the Durango - or a Tahoe being of interest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back