2002 Ford Explorer EB v6 4.0 Belt Squeal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer EB v6 4.0 Belt Squeal

wisedetailz

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone,

New owner of an 02 eddie bauer v6 4.0

One thing that is bugging me. When i start her up, i get what seems to be a belt squeal/tapping sound (sounds more like a belt) *squeak squeak squeak squeak etc*...when i hit the gas, the sound amplifies (goes faster) which confirms my suspicion that it is a belt (i hope). Previous owner said its done it for years and hasn't done anything detrimental or anything noticeable driving wise.

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with this. It could be harmless, but it's incredibly annoying. I know these engines aren't known for being the quietest but i want to locate the issue and get it fixed. It's bugging me.

Any questions or advice you have are welcome. Thanks for your time. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull off the belt, start it up. If there is no sound you have isolated it to the belt or parts the belt spins. If the belt has not been changed I would get a new one. Also while the belt is off check the idlers & accessories for bad bearings.
If the noise does not go away you are looking at an internal engine issue.

Thanks for the reply. Will do. It's a definite belt sound for sure. (which is a relief i suppose)

Good advice 2Trux. Also important to NEVER use belt dressing on serpentine belts.

Get a Gator back belt (good year I think). Do a search for it here. I got mine from Rock Auto. Fixed it right up. I have the same Eddie Bauer. I changed the belt initially to a normal belt from the local autoparts store, the sound went away only for a month or two. I put the gator back on and it has been good for more than a year.

^djklein21 any recollection on that part number from rock auto? ;)

GOODYEAR Part # 4060855

^does that look familiar? $15.75 on rockauto

this will be my first maintenance related item/work on the explorer. do i need any special belt removal tools or anything?

There is a post in one of the "Stickies" concering this.
It pertaines to the Harmonic balancer. There is also an updated p/n for a new balancer.
Mine was doing that and when I had the timing chains replaced the mechanic replaced the balancer and no more belt squeal.

I had the same noise on my '02. On start up, squeaking and tapping. Belt was worn but the idler was bad. Changed it and belt, no more noise.

alright i ordered the goodyear belt. i'm going to replace that first and see if that has any effect.

do you happen to have the part numbers for the harmonic balancer and the idler?

i'm usually not such a noob asking for part numbers etc but i want to make sure i get the correct BRAND as well as part. i know a lot of these 3rd party companies products don't stack up with the good stuff. if you have part numbers/brands i'm all ears. thanks again!

went ahead and ordered the harmonic balancer and bolt. will be installing it along with an additional tranny cooler and external filter in the next few weeks.

thanks everyone for your help.

Back