Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

For anyone with a post - recall fuel smell/leak issue, Ford released a special service message to their dealers. Have your vehicle inspected. You could have other evap. system damage, or the seal under the fuel module flange could be damaged or not sealing due to dirt/debris.

If you take your vehicle in, refer to SSM 33415. This can occur if the dealer technician fails to connect an in-tank vapor line to the new fuel module.

SSM 33415
2013 Model Year Explorer, Taurus, MKS, Flex, MKT, Fusion, MKZ, and Police Interceptor Utility and Sedan Vehicles may exhibit a fuel odor or hesitation.

Some 2013 Model Year Explorer, Taurus, MKS, Flex, MKT, Fusion, MKZ, and Police Interceptor Utility and Sedan Vehicles may exhibit a fuel odor, slow fill, or hesitation/stumble while driving and may or may not have one or more of the following codes present P0454, P0455, p0456, p0457, p0451, p0459 after Field Service Action 13S04 has been completed. This may be due to the fuel vapor line not being properly connected (fully seated) to the underside of the Fuel Delivery Module (FDM) which may lead to the carbon canister becoming saturated with liquid fuel. If fuel is found in the carbon canister and FSA13s04 has been completed on the vehicle, please inspect the vapor line connection to the FDM in addition to the normal diagnostics called out in the appropriate workshop manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, my Sport, too, has become one of the smelly. We made the mistake of having the fuel module recall work done and now every time we fill it up we have a terrible gasoline smell outside of the vehicle until the fuel tank is less than half.

Sheehy in Gaithersburg has tried on multiple attempts to fix this. They've gone from saying it was residual fuel from the service work and we should just drive around (especially in the rain) so it will go away. Then they replaced a valve around the filler. Still no help.

I can't park this thing in my garage because of the smell seeping into the house and emanating throughout. We're starting to get dizzy around here...
http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/eh/chemfs/fs/gasoline.htm

Anyone have any luck yet with theirs and know what the problem is? I'm hesitant to take it back to the dealer since its a bit of a drive and they give me a compact loaner every time. I didn't buy a $50K SUV to drive a $10K compact car...

I think I will give this dealer one more shot. Then I'm going to have to take it somewhere with mechanics more experienced. Seems like fuel leaks are a serious problem. Fire and vapor hazards... Not to mention I spent more time in a compact loaner car the last month than I have my Sport. Too bad its not in the first year. But maybe if loss of vehicle usage is a direct result of dealer error there is something there? I'll also probably consult a lawyer.

:mad:

They managed to fix mine on the 2nd go around .... feel free to mention there was a 2013 SILVER XLT they had a month ago, and they fixed it ... (even mention the lady had an aussie accent .. hehehehe .. )

Are you talking to Joe Walsh ? He dealt with my car ..... and i feel your pain with the compact loaner ... was it a LIME GREEN FORD FIESTA ?? thats what i was given ... :eek:

I am happy to report that the info on the SSM 33415 was exactly what they needed. They fixed it up in no time. And so far no smell. I'm going to wait until I run a tank of gas through it and fill it up again before I fully celebrate, but this is a major improvement.

Thanks everyone!

I am happy to report that the info on the SSM 33415 was exactly what they needed. They fixed it up in no time. And so far no smell. I'm going to wait until I run a tank of gas through it and fill it up again before I fully celebrate, but this is a major improvement.

Thanks everyone!

Fantastic news; I'm glad to hear everything worked out, hokiesport! :)

Crystal

2011 - 2013 Ford Explorer Recall 14S06 ELECTRIC POWER STEERING

Thanks for justjim_pia for pointing this out, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445&page=38 (last post), but I felt that this was HUGE news that needed to be made its own thread (and it's own Sticky Peter) as it was buried 38 pages deep in the Power Steering Thread. I just checked and my 2011 is included.

this is different than the locking steering recall.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...1/?AID=10709313&PID=3663046&SID=1el8s7nrwb7ni

"A separate recall covered the same potential problem in the 2011 to 2013 full-size Explorer SUV made at Ford's Chicago plant. Ford says some 195,527 vehicles are involved, of which 177,747 are believed to be in the U.S.

Ford reports on both the Escape/Mariner and Explorer, the defect involves a glitch that could result in loss of power steering. The issue has been under investigation on the Escape within Ford since 2009, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration filing. Canadian authorities opened an investigation in 2011. In January, Ford released a repair kit to dealers.

The issue involves an electrical connection in the steering gear on the Explorer that can cut in or out. On the Escape and Mariner, the problem involves a torque sensor inside the steering column. In both cases, the system can default to manual steering mode. In other words, no power steering. Since it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheel, a crash can result, especially at lower speeds.

When it comes to the Escape/Mariner, Ford says it is aware of five accident reports involving a total of six injuries related to the defect. On Explorer, there are reports of 15 low-speed accidents and two minor injuries."

I'm not sure yet. I haven't seen all the details. It appears that 2013s are included based upon the media reports I've seen.

Keep checking back I guess. Maybe someone with more inside info from Ford can post the recall details here.

Here is the latest we have at the dealer

SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Safety Recall 14S06
Certain 2011-2013 Model Year Explorer Vehicles
Electric Power Steering
AFFECTED VEHICLES
Certain 2011-2013 model year Explorer vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2011 through February 28, 2012. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on May 29, 2014.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, the power steering system may revert to manual steering mode due to the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) detecting a motor position sensor failure. In manual steering mode there is still a mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the road wheel, allowing steering control to be maintained. If this condition should occur, a message will display in the Instrument Cluster Message Center, a chime will sound to inform the driver, and the steering effort may be greater, especially at low speeds, which may increase the risk of accident.
SERVICE ACTION
NOTE: The software to reprogram the PSCM is currently not available to support Safety Recall 14S06, but is expected to be released in late July 2014.
Until the IDS release is available, customer vehicles should be repaired only if the vehicle arrives at your dealership with a customer complaint of loss of steering assist accompanied by a DTC associated with the steering gear.
Before demonstrating or delivering any of the vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to check the PSCM for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
 If any loss of steering assist DTCs are present, replace the steering gear.
 If no loss of steering assist codes are present, reprogram the PSCM (when available).
One of the above services must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner Letters are expected to be mailed the week of July 21, 2014. When the IDS release becomes available, dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter

Power Steering ISSUES

My 2011 Explorer Limited was towed into the dealer this morning with the power steering fault and totally inop. Friday I had taken my explorer to my Dealers express lube, for an oil change and tire rotation "The WORKS" package. Drove my vehicle to my house and put it in the garage and did not try to use the vehicle until Saturday morning when the power steering fault happened. I turned the car off and on 5 to 10 times, no help, backed it out carefully from my garage and disconnected the battery. Waited 10 min, reconnect and the same issue "POWER STEERING FAULT" and limited steering. I called FORD cust service to see what direction they could provide me.....we all know how that goes.. "Sir you need to have it towed to the nearest authorized...... Thank god I still have roadside service. Today, Monday I had it picked up from my drive and taken to the dealer. We will see what they find.

My 2011 Explorer Limited was towed into the dealer this morning with the power steering fault and totally inop. Friday I had taken my explorer to my Dealers express lube, for an oil change and tire rotation "The WORKS" package. Drove my vehicle to my house and put it in the garage and did not try to use the vehicle until Saturday morning when the power steering fault happened. I turned the car off and on 5 to 10 times, no help, backed it out carefully from my garage and disconnected the battery. Waited 10 min, reconnect and the same issue "POWER STEERING FAULT" and limited steering. I called FORD cust service to see what direction they could provide me.....we all know how that goes.. "Sir you need to have it towed to the nearest authorized...... Thank god I still have roadside service. Today, Monday I had it picked up from my drive and taken to the dealer. We will see what they find.

Gonna need a rack I have changed a few for steering angle sensor which is part of the rack.

My EX didn't present the problem but the Dealer made the software programming and i have to say that i feel the Sterring Wheel more smooth than before.

Time will tell.

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Interesting that if you haven't had a problem, its a software fix, but if you have had a problem, its a new steering rack. Ford's response to the NHTSA investigation was that it was essentially a manufacturing defect on a circuit board in the power steering that was causing issues.

I guess the software fix would somehow manage the issue better (e.g., not shut off power steering!) if it were to come up.

So the reflash is available for the recall? I had heard mid July.

Not yet....

SERVICE ACTION
NOTE: The software to reprogram the PSCM is currently not available to support Safety Recall 14S06, but is expected to be released in late July 2014.
Until the IDS release is available, customer vehicles should be repaired only if the vehicle arrives at your dealership with a customer complaint of loss of steering assist accompanied by a DTC associated with the steering gear.

Note to all affected vehicles:

If there is currently no fault found in the PSCM or it's included systems, then only the PSCM is reprogrammed. this is not a recall that replaces the entire rack unless there is a fault detected with the rack. Just wanted to clear that up :)

Had the recall-reporgramming done yesterday on both 2011 Ex's. No significant issues found.

One heads up for all of you. You'll have to reset your equalizer settings, and some display settings after the re-programming is done. Surprisingly, I did not have to re-pair the phone.

I did notice that the re-programming had a little more effect on one of the cars than the other. Seems to be a "tighter" steering feel.

I called yesterday to make an appointment and the service guy told me they don't have any software/parts to do anything yet?? He said to call once a week until the parts came in. That seems strange seeing how some people have it done already!

Combined Recalls

Combining all the Recalls into one thread to clean up sticky's

Power steering recall turns into failure

So I got my 2013 explorer recall for the power steering taken care of and about 2 weeks later was on a 4 hour road trip and the power steering failed. POS car! Anyone else having constant issues with their cars? I've been in the shop for the fuel tank recall, an emissions issue, a oil cover gasket leak, the powder steering recall, and now the power steering failure. In just over 2 years and 31k miles. All my own.

So I got my 2013 explorer recall for the power steering taken care of and about 2 weeks later was on a 4 hour road trip and the power steering failed. POS car! Anyone else having constant issues with their cars? I've been in the shop for the fuel tank recall, an emissions issue, a oil cover gasket leak, the powder steering recall, and now the power steering failure. In just over 2 years and 31k miles. All my own.

PM me with your info so I can get your regional customer service manager involved, Rupp3184. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Just got a letter yesterday about 2013 PI Utilities requiring a Powertrain Control Module program update, and catalyst replacement if a CEL is on. 14B05 I believe was the number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone experienced any problems with there 2015 Ford Explorer XLT? I just purchased mine a week ago and now it's a Ford Service center because the SUV wouldn't go no faster than 30 MPH, smoking and wouldn't reverse.

Back