Ford Explorer 3.5L FWD vs 4WD Acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 3.5L FWD vs 4WD Acceleration

R33S3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Guys just ordered 2015 Ford Explorer 3.5L but no idea on which has better acceleration. Is it the FWD or the 4WD considering the same standard engine 3.5L V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys just ordered 2015 Ford Explorer 3.5L but no idea on which has better acceleration. Is it the FWD or the 4WD considering the same standard engine 3.5L V6.

FWD...because it's lighter.

Thanks walter now im also thinking its the FWD on a plain asphalt of course

FWD...because it's lighter.

Run the test

if the fwd wheels start slipping your acceleration is maxed out. for a 50/50 split balance front to back max acceleration for 2wd is g/2 for ideal 4wd max acceleration is g (g is acceleration due to gravity)

I assume EX is weighted to front so it is more than g/2 but not g. So do the test and see if lighter is better or awd.

some torque is given to back wheels even when on dry pavement in normal mode.

AWD has better traction at the start in addition to having a higher ratio final drive axle. So those might offset the higher weight.

I'd think it would depend on what kind of acceleration you are talking about. If it's a quick, hard start, the the AWD is the one I'd guess would be the better since all 4 wheels are engaged. If you are talking about a normal start form a dead stop, I doubt you'd find much difference but the FWD is a lighter vehicle.

Peter

I just know, I smoke a lot of Honda Civics with my car and it's 4WD. I even smoked a white Dodge Magnum once! :D One should never, ever street race though. I only did like hard acceleration and stop at the speed limit. No law against hard acceleration! ;)

I just know, I smoke a lot of Honda Civics with my car and it's 4WD. I even smoked a white Dodge Magnum once! :D One should never, ever street race though. I only did like hard acceleration and stop at the speed limit. No law against hard acceleration! ;)

Actually.. exhibition of speed is a law, and written very broadly (at least in California). It covers anything that can construed as a display of speed (quick acceleration, burning tires, revving engines even). It's a misdemeanor and has heavy penalties too.

(just an FYI)

Back