2013 Ford Explorer Limited w/ Halogen Bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Limited w/ Halogen Bulbs

2013FordExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 FordExplorer Limited
I bought a Limited Ford Explorer and assumed that because it had projectors, they were HID. I found out later that they weren't. I've been habitually researching to come up with and incomplete conclusion. So can I fit Bi-Xenon HID's in the halogen projector housing and it not have crazy glare, not melt the projector lens, and be legal. I really want HID's but I highly prefer to complete this task correctly. The parts are identical between OEM halogen and HID headlight assemblies, right? I need answers soon, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call chandler at www.thelightingfirm.co
They are doing my headlight conversion. Bixenon projectors, led halo, led strips and switchbacks...black out internals too.
Should insane when done. I will have them late this week.. All from brand new OEM lights and top quality parts.

I bought a Limited Ford Explorer and assumed that because it had projectors, they were HID. I found out later that they weren't. I've been habitually researching to come up with and incomplete conclusion. So can I fit Bi-Xenon HID's in the halogen projector housing and it not have crazy glare, not melt the projector lens, and be legal. I really want HID's but I highly prefer to complete this task correctly. The parts are identical between OEM halogen and HID headlight assemblies, right? I need answers soon, thanks.
To do the job properly when switching halogens to HID, you must also change the complete housing. The housing are made specifically for the type of bulb used.
See post 55 in the following thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397670

Peter

I was shocked to find my $50k explorer didn't come with xenons... genuinely shocked. I didn't bother trying to retrofit aftermarket HID's though, as those have been more of a headache than anything on past cars. My plan is to grab some rigid LED's and supplement the headlights output. The halogens will be cheap and run problem-free for a long time and provide more than enough light to be used as "running lights" and when I need more light I'll turn on the LED's. That's my bet for the best solution.

I was shocked to find my $50k explorer didn't come with xenons... genuinely shocked. I didn't bother trying to retrofit aftermarket HID's though, as those have been more of a headache than anything on past cars. My plan is to grab some rigid LED's and supplement the headlights output. The halogens will be cheap and run problem-free for a long time and provide more than enough light to be used as "running lights" and when I need more light I'll turn on the LED's. That's my bet for the best solution.
I know right! I purchased a limited so tat should be standard, like the edge. But it's optional. :(

HID is standard on all Canadian Limiteds. Not sure why there is a difference.:dunno:

Peter

HID is standard on all Canadian Limiteds. Not sure why there is a difference.:dunno:

Peter

I'm not even sure if they're an option on the sport... Makes no sense.

I was really disappointed to find out the weren't standard. I bought I limited, I paid a "limited" price tag, and they made that optional.

I'm not even sure if they're an option on the sport... Makes no sense.
Nope, not an option, even on the 2015 Sport. I guess Ford wants to keep a certain amount of differences between the models.

Peter

Ford Explorer sports without HID is a total failure on fords part. The Sport is nicer than the limited.. The only difference is the ecoboost engine.. I dont get !

The Ecoboost engine is not the only difference as has been discussed before. As far as the Sport being nicer than the Limited, that is a personal opinion. I believe the Limited is still considered the top 'trim' model.

Peter

Ford needs these packages: sport, premium and visibility.

What you see a make like BMW do, at least with sedans when I was shopping for and got a 540i 13 years ago, is they give you a options where you can get whatever you want - whether 528, 535 or 540.

In the U.S. all 540's when I was shopping came with the premium package - leather, wood trim, alloys, etc. (in Europe they sell BMW's with cloth, steel wheels, etc.).

I also got the sport package. This did not give me more HP (the 540i displacement gave me the largest engine), but I got bigger, lower profile wheels, tighter suspension, sport seats, sport steering wheel, etc.

I also got the visibility package. Xenons, rain sensing wipers, heated/auto dimming mirrors, etc.

I'd love it if Ford did this where they put all this on the Limited and allowed you to add packages to the XLT and Sport.

The Ecoboost engine is not the only difference as has been discussed before. As far as the Sport being nicer than the Limited, that is a personal opinion. I believe the Limited is still considered the top 'trim' model.

Peter

Limited the top trim model yet cheaper than the sport?

you are right it is personal opinion.. just like purchasing a Lincoln

It's the engine that costs more. The Limited has more 'bells & whistles'. The MKT wasn't really my first choice but the 2015 Ex is much the same as the 2011 Limited Ex I had so the dealer made me an offer that was hard to turn down and will hold me over until the 2016 'redesigned' Ex is out.

Peter

It's the engine that costs more. The Limited has more 'bells & whistles'. The MKT wasn't really my first choice but the 2015 Ex is much the same as the 2011 Limited Ex I had so the dealer made me an offer that was hard to turn down and will hold me over until the 2016 'redesigned' Ex is out.

Peter

define more bells and whistles. The only option I couldn't get was HID headlights and fog lights, but are easy enough to get aftermarket.

Everything else on options was exactly the same as the limited except the engine that is the only reason I am driving an explorer instead of another sport SUV.

Ford needs these packages: sport, premium and visibility.

What you see a make like BMW do, at least with sedans when I was shopping for and got a 540i 13 years ago, is they give you a options where you can get whatever you want - whether 528, 535 or 540.

In the U.S. all 540's when I was shopping came with the premium package - leather, wood trim, alloys, etc. (in Europe they sell BMW's with cloth, steel wheels, etc.).

I also got the sport package. This did not give me more HP (the 540i displacement gave me the largest engine), but I got bigger, lower profile wheels, tighter suspension, sport seats, sport steering wheel, etc.

I also got the visibility package. Xenons, rain sensing wipers, heated/auto dimming mirrors, etc.

I'd love it if Ford did this where they put all this on the Limited and allowed you to add packages to the XLT and Sport.

This is so true.

To make matters worse my cousin's new Focus ST came standard with xenons and LED running lights; several decades newer technology haha

I was equally shocked to find the explorer lacked rain-sending wipers.
The headlights and wipers almost lend a spartan feel to the car haha. It's been 6 years for me of having cars that came standard with those features. But otherwise no complaints, loving this thing!

define more bells and whistles. The only option I couldn't get was HID headlights and fog lights, but are easy enough to get aftermarket.

Everything else on options was exactly the same as the limited except the engine that is the only reason I am driving an explorer instead of another sport SUV.
When comparing the 2014 Limited to the 2014, the Ford website shows the following items not available on the Sport; 20" polished wheels, 3rd row power fold 50/50 seats, heated steering wheel, lane keeping, active park assist, rain sensing wipers, body coloured mirrors with security approach lamps and turn signal indicators and luxury seating package. None of the models, Canadian or U.S. have HID fog lamps.

Peter

Peter

What's the ford equivalent of an MKT? A Flex?
I had never heard of it until you just said it, so please excuse my ignorance!

I believe the Explorer is based on the Fusion frame and the MKT is based on the Flex frame. The Lincoln MKT is a true crossover and it is 10" longer than the Explorer. It is quieter than the 2011 Ex Limited I had and the fit and finish it much better as well. The gas consumption of the Ecoboost seems slightly higher but then I've only put 430 miles on it so far. It's a vehicle that doesn't suit everyone's taste but I've gotten used to it. Ihave a 3 year lease and will likely get the 2016 Explorer when it comes out. It has 3 driver control settings, Sport, Normal and Comfort. So far I've only used comfort.

Peter

Attachments

• P4010199_001_001.JPG
    P4010199_001_001.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 336
  • P4010202_001_01_001_01.JPG
    P4010202_001_01_001_01.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 329

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the Explorer is based on the Fusion frame and the MKT is based on the Flex frame. The Lincoln MKT is a true crossover and it is 10" longer than the Explorer. It is quieter than the 2011 Ex Limited I had and the fit and finish it much better as well. The gas consumption of the Ecoboost seems slightly higher but then I've only put 430 miles on it so far. It's a vehicle that doesn't suit everyone's taste but I've gotten used to it. Ihave a 3 year lease and will likely get the 2016 Explorer when it comes out.

Peter

The Explorer, Flex, and Lincoln MKT are all based on the Ford Taurus platform. Just to let you know.

Back