New guy here with 13' Ex Limited on 22's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy here with 13' Ex Limited on 22's

RYWL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limted
Hi guys, I picked up my new 2013 Ford explorer limited about a month ago. I gotta thank this website, reading all the issues people had, I made sure I didn't see any of these problems when I test drove my Ex. I immediately knew I needed some wheels. so I bought me some 22x10 Niche Verona's in matte black with DDT face.

20140604_150035_zpse1810d44.jpg

20140604_145928_zps3f017c0d.jpg

20140604_145912_zps2a52baec.jpg

20140604_145845_zps7ca049e6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks awesome. goes good with gray ex

thank you, next step I want to do is to matte black the grille, headlight housing and hopefully all the chrome accents. Im a little troubled by the door handles though. I know its just as easy to matte black those but then it will look like the base model.. any thoughts? I want to color match the door handles to the paint but haven't found a proper color matched 3m wrap.

Looking good, loving those wheels !

Nice look!!

Nice setup!

Like your wheels!
Just had my handles painted BC.

Frank

Exdh_zps44904aeb.jpg

thank you, next step I want to do is to matte black the grille, headlight housing and hopefully all the chrome accents. Im a little troubled by the door handles though. I know its just as easy to matte black those but then it will look like the base model.. any thoughts? I want to color match the door handles to the paint but haven't found a proper color matched 3m wrap.

the color matched handles look awesome! Maybe i should just buck up and get them painted at the body shop. I have my bumper off and will be doing the grill in the morning. I keep looking at my headlights wanting black out all the chrome housing but Im too scared to attempt it lol. I wish i can just find a set of sport headlights. Anyone know if there would be a problem to fit those on my limited because i have the factory HID's on it? is there a difference in the projector housing?

nice looking wheels, the grey looks perfect

The Sport HL's are 'reflectors'. Sport guys wish they had HID., and a lot do upgrade them, BUT...HID. in reflector housings is not the way to go. Sure the are brighter/whiter, they cause glare to oncoming traffic... I see it all the time. Be glad you have the HID. Better lights should be on the option list.

Frank

the color matched handles look awesome! Maybe i should just buck up and get them painted at the body shop. I have my bumper off and will be doing the grill in the morning. I keep looking at my headlights wanting black out all the chrome housing but Im too scared to attempt it lol. I wish i can just find a set of sport headlights. Anyone know if there would be a problem to fit those on my limited because i have the factory HID's on it? is there a difference in the projector housing?

update*
just did the plasti dip route on most of the chrome trim and installed my ford badge overlays :)

20140607_185412_zpsa32684c6.jpg

20140607_184502_zpsdc156991.jpg

update*

Been working on it for awhile now. A lot of moments of almost giving up too :(

firstly, i did this
20140612_2159472_zpsb393589d.jpg

then this happned
20140612_223706_zpsfb903988.jpg

Because i had it done on the inside housing, i had to rip it all out and re paint the housing because i had it silconed onto the housing. So i'm happy with it just being black housing lol.
20140616_180058_zps14582f55.jpg

20140616_180107_zps0d685bc6.jpg

Little update Since I've owned this truck. Since after I bought my wheels, my curbed it within the first month. So I've sent all 4 wheels out to my local wheel repair and had them strip the Double Dark Tint Off and had them custom matte clear coat it with some black to darken the tint. Also added the Side step bars and tinted the tail lights :p
FullSizeRender_zps3pbazobj.jpg

20150309_095150_zpsa0jnwqh4.jpg

20150313_151045_zpszjga2lt3.jpg

I decided to make the .75" bora spacers work and the current specs on my Truck now are:
22x10 Niche Verona M151 (custom cleared)
+38 offset with .75" (19.05) spacers making them +19mm offset
running on 265/40R22 Toyo Proxes S/T II with no rubbing.

I'm not allowed to lower it as it is my wifes car and she doesn't want to :(

Nice car! Looking good!

where'd ya get those led stripes? they look sweeeeet!

Very nice ride! The black accents really set it off along with the LED strips. I see you said the wife doesn't want to lower it. Wonder if she would be into adding some extra performance? Feel free to give us a shout for any of your performance needs. We offer some great add ons and an excellent tuning solution that will make that ride perform as good as it looks!

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/categories/Ford/2013%252b-Explorer-Sport-EcoBoost/

I had my bodyshop guy get those led strips in, but if you see in the picture, 3 were burnt out so i had to rip the headlights back apart and take them out. I ended up leaving them out and just chose to do the matte black housing like the sport.

Yeah the wife doesn't want to lower it, the most i can do is probably an air intake.

So a little update is in order here. I posted on the "lowering springs" thread a little bit ago and i wasn't too happy with the how low it was...

20160423_173410_zps353angaz.jpg

but now i'm happy again cause i sold my old wheels and got a brand new set of AXE EX20's in 22" I think the end result makes me happy that its lowered. What do you guys think?

20160509_171857_zps2up0trko.jpg

20160509_174427_zps9zjdkd9b.jpg

20160509_173218_zpskkfjtdnw.jpg

20160509_171907_zpsf3qsovyj.jpg

if you can do without the running boards and mudguards I would take them off, they look out of place on a lowered vehicle unless its a WRX, then you would keep the guards. :D.
If the camber is under about -1.5deg I would leave it, or you will have rapid tire wire on the insides if its over -2deg.

BTW I recognized your sale ad on another site from your picture, I knew I saw that Explorer somewhere, was Flex in there also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually that wasn't my for sale ad lol. I sold it to a guy that works at lordco. Then afterwards he sold it but used my car picture lol. He bought it off me and put it on his flex.

Back