Is it possible to install a Shelby engine with a 4wd system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to install a Shelby engine with a 4wd system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't call that a Shelby engine but yeah sure if you're pockets are real deep

6500 isn't bad, but can it be installed with a 4wd system is my question?

Yes, like I said if your pockets are deep. You'll need a new transmission, transfer case, and drive shafts. Along with a custom tune to make it all work. I'd look for the transmission and transfer case from a f150 and figure out how to bolt it up and wire it

Rusty -

Is that a Coyote 5.0 ?
I believe someone in the Sport Track section did it but there was a lot of customization done.

Rusty -

Is that a Coyote 5.0 ?
I believe someone in the Sport Track section did it but there was a lot of customization done.

On eBay says it is for 2011 mustang, it's a 5.0L.

Ford Racing's new all-aluminum 5.0L Mustang crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that uses advanced features like Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) to deliver 412+ horsepower@ 6500 rpm and 390 ft.-lb. Of torque at 4250 rpm (with premium fuel)

It would probably be easier to stay with the Triton family and install 4.6 32 valve from a Aviator, or 5.4 3 valve from an Expedition, or supercharge the 4.6.

If I am going to do an upgrade I want something like an ecoboost power. 412 hp is what I am looking at. Going to cost the same amount if I supercharge the engine. The expedition and f150 engine cost 3k and another 2-3k for the supercharger. This engine is a complete package.

Rusty ima go out on a limb and say you don't know a whole lot about cars.
My suggestion is to go to a shop and hand em a big ole wad of cash and tell em what you want. You might need to add more cash on top of said wad
This isn't just a simple engine swap

Aviator got the 4V version? I thought that was only used in Navigator, some Mustangs, and the Mark-VIII.

Agree that trying to put the Coyote engine in a 4th gen Explorer will pretty much be a development project for some garage. Better to go to a shop, and ask them what they can do to get you the output you want.

F150 ecoboost can't be installed wiring is different and works with the equipment inside the vehicle as well. Some guy tried to install it in a f100 classic truck. He needed the the whole dash interior. Since they don't make custom harness for it.

I'm pretty sure there is a workaround for that. Besides, you are in the same boat with the above swap. I hope the branch doesn't break with me and colintrax both sitting on it.

the brakeman -

Aviator had 4.6 32 valve, Navigator had 5.4 32 valve in mid 2000's

I still believe that Coyote install is beyond most of the shops, sticking with old triton would be much easier.

The more power you want the more it will cost. With these new 2011+ engines they have a ton of complex wiring. Sure you can get a new coyote 5.0 along with the ford racing power pack and swap it in. Your at about $8000 there in parts alone and still will need a custom stand alone computer for your transmission and a 6r80 transmission. You will also need t case, drive shafts and upgraded fuel system. We are now talking about $15000 in parts alone. Then you have to pay someone about $5-10k to install and wire it. Sounds like your best idea would be to trade your truck in and buy a newer Sport.

Why don't you call Brenspeed and ask them install their supercharger kit? Total cost would be cheaper and you would get more power and torque than the NA 5.0L? (All this assuming you have 4.6L V8 engine.)

I have been thinking about that last couple weeks... But still can't get over the sticker shock... :D

I was looking at supercharger kits and they are 3-5k.

Waiting for 2015 f150 to come out.

Like others have said, wiring would be a nightmare, especially with the modern CAN-bus stuff.

If you HAVE to have a 5 liter, then a 5.0 + transmission + transfer case from an F150, along with the gauge cluster and whatever else necessary from the dash, may be a better approach.

In the end, you gotta ask yourself if all the cost + time is worth it on our aging trucks. That, and also the fact that a 5.0 is not that big of an upgrade from the 4.6 (assuming that's what you have). 292 hp to 360 hp is a noticeable jump, but won't be enough to make you grin every time you punch it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wiring is CAKE on those.....Ford Racing makes a complete Contol Pack for that Engine....5 wires to make it run....

Back