Time for tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The handling is not so good. However, when I bought the Sport, I had no idea it was lower than the XLT and LTD versions. I have a steep driveway in the Colorado mountains and when they plow my street, I have to be able to go through a big pile of snow. The verdict is still out on if I like it with the lift or not. I had a BMW X5 before this that I loved (the 07's sat higher than they do now) and it was hard to switch to a Ford. However, all the BMW's were money pits, costing us a ton in maintenance, so I'm hoping this Explorer turns out be something I'll like for a long time. I really wish they still made SUV's that were not just lowered crossovers.
However, I have to say that this Explorer Sport is just as nice as my BMW on the interior. I just wish the handling was as good with the lift kit on.
So, I had to have the lift, but it definitely ruined the handling and added road noise for me. So, unless you truly need the clearance like I do, I wouldn't do it just for looks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Atturo Tires AZ800 - Review

Anyone tried the Atturo Tires AZ800 ?
Im about to pull the trigger on those for the EX, in 275-45-R20
The price is very decent and they are made by Federal.
Ive been reading good reviews on different sites, so far.

http://www.atturo.com/moto/az800

IMAG0027.jpg

That picture was taken from the SRT8 Forums (Member: kzeliminator)

Thanks for the feedback

I had never heard of this make. They may be a good tire but I sometimes become a little concerned when neither Tirerack or 1010tires carries the brand.
It seems that they are a sort of an 'economy' tire from what I've briefly read on the Internet. I personally prefer to stick with the better known tires but that isn't saying that the Atturo Tires aren't a good product. Looking at the picture, it seems that these may be a bit noisier that the stock tires.

Peter

Ok, I got the Atturo's, (275/45R20) so far...after 2 days of city driving and a 200 mile road trip, Id have to say the tires are performing very well, no noticeable road noise (well maybe I cant hear it because of the magnaflow catback LOL), the grip is very good while cornering, and im actually getting a softer ride than before (i had Continental Cross Contact 255/50R20)
I still have to test them on wet conditions, so Ill report back, thread pattern looks good.

3f6e2e332446299.jpg
f640fd332446304.jpg
1e98c9332446314.jpg
df3fb8332446326.jpg
2c8c0b332446333.jpg

Tire Time - 2013 Explorer Limited

It's Tire replacement time!

Got 54,000 miles on the Explorer and ready to ditch the Hankooks (no wet traction).

I've searched some without much luck. Wanted to get some opinions:

1. Michelin Latitude HP Touring - seems like great reviews but good golly $1400+ out the door seems pretty steep. Anyone have these? Are they worth it?

2. I really want a tire with a warranty. The Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L has an 80k warranty (unheard of), but based on the reviews appears it must be a hard tire given the crazy warranty and feedback.

3. Other options that will balance smooth ride with cost and a decent warranty?

Thanks for any opinions...

1. Michelin Latitude HP Touring - seems like great reviews but good golly $1400+ out the door seems pretty steep. Anyone have these? Are they worth it?

Yes, worth the money. I have the originals at 45K. They will go to 60K.

It's a shame that Michelin isn't making a 255/50R20 in an LTX. These are the tires I've been getting 100,000 or more on my current and previous Ex's.

Almost 50 k on Hankook and I replaced them with Bridgestones from Costco. Total about the same price as Hankooks.

I got the Yokohama Parada tires put on this time. I wanted something with a little more aggressive tread for driving in the snow compared to the Hancook.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=2011&autoModel=Explorer&autoModClar=Limited

It was a great tire this winter.. only negative is that it is a direction tire so can only rotate front to back.

We are going to need tires soon and are looking to replace the OEM tires on our Limited (the wet traction is fading fast and the winter traction just stinks to high heaven). I have narrowed it down to the Parada Spec-X and the YK580. The YK's should have the benefit of better mileage, longevity, and can be rotated any which way. The Paradas look to have better wet and winter traction, but might not excel at MPG or longevity (the directional thing is a mild negative).

Overall, how would you rate the Paradas, now that you own them yourself? How's the ride, noise, and efficiency of that tire (compared to the OEMs)?

So the choice is burn a little more gas (maybe, I would hate to decrease the Ghosts already meager mileage) and get better winter/wet traction, or go for longevity and better MPG (maybe) with not quite as good winter traction. I have the YK580's on my Legacy and have liked them a lot. At this rate, those things are going to last forever on my car and I did notice a slight bump in MPG's after putting them on.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

As blwnsmoke knows, I took the Hankooks off my 2011 Limited the day I got it. Replaced them with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. Now with my new vehicle I'm once again stuck with the Hankooks. I'll keep them this time as it's only a 3 year lease. ;) I use dedicated Winter tires when the time comes.

Peter

[MENTION=3055]vince[/MENTION] - As of right now, I have no complaints. The only concern that I have is whether I will get some chop as I wear down on tread. I know they are not performance tires but still not being able to be cross rotated I'll be curious to see what happens.

So far, love them as I said. They were great in the snow and great in the rain.. couldn't complain about the price either.

Tire time

2013 Limited. 20" Hankook / Optima from factory. 50k miles. Originals ended with good even tread wear and expected life. As tires aged, road noise became blatantly apparent. On a recent trip it became so annoying I was ready to get a new set but unsure of what to buy so I waited. If I had to buy this vehicle new again, I would be ordering the 17's (or 18's cannot recall what is standard). I am in the north so snow is an issue but I do not have or want winter only tires.

I have tried to read old archives but seems a fresh look at options would be best.

I would trade some life for less noise and a bit better ride. I don't seem to see the 20" tire that is going to satisfy.

Is there issues downsizing with speedometer/odometer and computerized controls?

Any tips are appreciated.

If by down sizing you mean wheel size there is no problem as long as you mount tires that have the same diameter as your 20's.
Tirerack.com list the Hankook Optimo H426 as a 30.1" diameter so if you change to a 18" wheel you just need to get a 18" tire with a 30.1" diameter or within .2" either way and you will be good to go.
For instance you can mount a Hankook Ventus in a 255/60R18 size that is listed as 30.2" diameter and no speedometer adjustment would be necessary.

Our '11 XLT came with 18" Michelin Latitude HPs OEM. Great tire. 47K miles, and still going strong with even wear, no noise, and smooth ride. It looks like we will get 60K miles out of them.

They do not get louder with wear, like the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes on my Touareg which were LOUD after 15K miles and have a tendency to hydroplane. I expect them to last less than 30K.

Strongly recommend Michelin Latitude HPs.

KPPWW welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one. We really don't have 'Archieved' threads, just older ones that can become current again just by adding your post to them. Also as indicated in my previous post here, I was very pleased with the Yokohamas I installed on mine. They were quiet and had a bit more of an aggressive tread than the Hankooks. I always use dedicated Winter tires when the season rolls around.

Peter

2013 Limited. 20" Hankook / Optima from factory. 50k miles. Originals ended with good even tread wear and expected life. As tires aged, road noise became blatantly apparent. On a recent trip it became so annoying I was ready to get a new set but unsure of what to buy so I waited. If I had to buy this vehicle new again, I would be ordering the 17's (or 18's cannot recall what is standard). I am in the north so snow is an issue but I do not have or want winter only tires.

I have tried to read old archives but seems a fresh look at options would be best.

I would trade some life for less noise and a bit better ride. I don't seem to see the 20" tire that is going to satisfy.

Is there issues downsizing with speedometer/odometer and computerized controls?

Any tips are appreciated.
Lots of threads and information - after reading it all last Christmas, I just opted for the OEM Michelins. Great life, reasonable all around tire, and when you balance out the difference in long life vs. price, no more expensive than the cheaper ones that wear out earlier.

I got mine at Treadquarters when I was out of town, but lots of people have them.

KPPWW, you say you have a 2013 Limited but your profile shows a 2012.
Do you have both? The 20" wheel is standard on the Limited, there is no option to order a 17" or 18" wheel unfortunately. The XLT comes with 18". The Winter wheels I ran on the Limited were the 17" Base model ones.

Peter

In short - Yes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's Tire replacement time!

Got 54,000 miles on the Explorer and ready to ditch the Hankooks (no wet traction).

I've searched some without much luck. Wanted to get some opinions:

Thanks for any opinions...
On 1010tires.com, users gave this tire 3.7 out of 5. Like most so call all-season tires it was only rated at 2.8 for snow and treadwear. The highest Michelin tire rating was given to the Pilot Sport AS 3 with a 4.7. Again the snow rating was 2.6.
I'd say you would be better off doing your homework like you have been doing. Check out the customer reviews and get a tire in a price range that YOU are comfortable with.

Peter

Back