timing chain repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain repair

JENKINSTEPH81

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer 4wd
I need help with what it takes to change a timing chain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just finished the rebuild on my 03, 4.0. You did not say which engine you have. For the 4.0 it is recommended that you use the special timing tool kit. It costs about $150.00. It locks the crank in place and sets and holds the cam's in position as well as holds the sprockets while you torque the bolts. The work is not hard, but getting to the chains requires removal of almost everything from the engine except the heads. I did mine as port of an overhaul of the engine. I can not imagine doing this job with the engine still in the truck. Access to the back of the head is limited. That limited access and not being able to see what you are doing would make it a really tough job. Even with superior mechanical skills. With the engine out, it's not a real big deal. I followed the directions in the manual, except I had already installed my rockers. An interesting point is that when I set the cam in position, it actually stayed there with out assistance, or need for the locking tool. I did however use the tools. With that much disassembly required, you might as well replace the bottom end parts and freshen up the heads and gaskets. Ps the timing kit is expensive. On mine, the chains and sprockets visually looked good, however the plastic parts were just about all broken, with a lot of the bits stuck in the oil pickup.

Hey:
So I had to get the timing chains replaced in my 02. Ended up just getting the engine rebuilt for like 400 bucks more. It is expensive and requires the engine to be pulled to get all 4 chains replaced. So, if you are gonna have a shop do it, ask about the difference in price for a rebuild. May be worth it. My 02 now runs like a beast.

i just did this on my 02 4.6L. if it's the V8 then its realy not a bad job. I do think how ever if you decide to do an oil pan gasket. instead of just rtvin the front you will need to lift the motor some. if this a V8(4.6L) can be done in like 6hr's. I would replace water pump and oil pump while your in there.

Hey:
So I had to get the timing chains replaced in my 02. Ended up just getting the engine rebuilt for like 400 bucks more. It is expensive and requires the engine to be pulled to get all 4 chains replaced. So, if you are gonna have a shop do it, ask about the difference in price for a rebuild. May be worth it. My 02 now runs like a beast.
How much was it altogether? My '01 Sport is getting bad enough to the point where you can here it rattle at 2000 RPM.

cost

How much was it altogether? My '01 Sport is getting bad enough to the point where you can here it rattle at 2000 RPM.

Hello:
I paid 2400 all in. It was worth it. The engine is like brand new.

my rebuild cost about the same amount. I was lucky, because even with 202k, I only needed standard rings and bearings. I purchased the tool kit for the timing. I think it could have been done without it, but the right tools always makes the job easier.

Back