My 2013 Explorer Sport 17k review

13TuxedoSport

Reaction score
City, State
Visalia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
579148_10202391903104703_2121954010_n.jpg

So I've had my Explorer Sport since 2/28/2013 and have put 17,000 miles on it so far.

The build quality has overall been excellent so far. Everything works just like the day I drove it home. The only upgrades I've done to it are 18% front window tint/5% over factory rear window tint, LED license plate lights and painted the factory brake calipers red (for that extra little pop).

10379904_10204136942249591_9075171596466757419_o.jpg

The average mileage I have gotten is 18.8 MPG overall (60% city 40% highway). On a recent 1,100 mile roundtrip from my city to Oregon and back, the Explorer averaged 21.8 MPG roundtrip, this was with 4 adults, 1 baby, and luggage/cooler/baby stuff in the rear. I consider this excellent considering the elevation changes, a/c being on 75% of the trip, and it's a 4wd SUV! Not bad.

The only performance upgrade I think I will do to the Explorer is a Magnaflow exhaust. Since my Ex has a tow package, the current offering from MF won't work... So I will probably have an exhaust shop custom make some pipes. I am not looking for all out speed as I have a Corvette Z06 for that aspect. Just a lil more oomph from the Sport.

Interior has held up very well. Seats, carpets, dash, soft-touch spots, everything. If you are looking to buy a Sport, or are on the fence about a Sport or other manufacturer SUV, I would tell ya to drive the Sport...a lot. You will love it. My wife and I passed on an Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne S and Range Rover sport, since the Explorer had the offerings we were looking for, and an overall price of $46,295 which is a bargain for what you get for the money.

Anyways hope this helps some of ya people out with decision making. :D

Here's a pic of my Z06 for good measure ;)
10355648_10204085108273774_6061649386946034879_o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice explorer! I never would have thought to paint the calipers but it does really provide that "pop" you mentioned --very cool.

I have have mine for 17 days and done around ~2500 miles so far! Absolutely love this thing and it's far and away the slowest SUV I've had in years lol, coming from a a pair of cayenne turbos and a V10 diesel Touareg I was afraid it wouldn't have the pickup I was used to but honestly it has exceeded my expectations in every way.

2500 miles in a half of a month? Good Lord what do you do lol. Nice ex and z06 op.

2500 miles in a half of a month? Good Lord what do you do lol. Nice ex and z06 op.

I own investment real estate that is all in various stages of development that requires constant attention; also commute/drive a minimum of ~60 miles a day round trip to work so miles add up quickly.

Nice explorer! I never would have thought to paint the calipers but it does really provide that "pop" you mentioned --very cool.

I have have mine for 17 days and done around ~2500 miles so far! Absolutely love this thing and it's far and away the slowest SUV I've had in years lol, coming from a a pair of cayenne turbos and a V10 diesel Touareg I was afraid it wouldn't have the pickup I was used to but honestly it has exceeded my expectations in every way.

I've noticed the more I drive the Sport, the quicker it feels. Oh and try the "Sand Mode" on the 4wd selector for some extra off the line get-up (if you haven't already). LOL
I've driven older Porsche Cayenne turbos and those were pretty quick, but very heavy suckers LOL. the new Cayenne turbo would be a blast to drive though!

Your Sport looks great. Did you have to remove the calipers to paint them and how has the paint held up?

I've noticed the more I drive the Sport, the quicker it feels. Oh and try the "Sand Mode" on the 4wd selector for some extra off the line get-up (if you haven't already). LOL
I've driven older Porsche Cayenne turbos and those were pretty quick, but very heavy suckers LOL. the new Cayenne turbo would be a blast to drive though!

I'll have to try the sand mode trick! Haha

I had an '08 Cayenne Turbo, which was basically a refresh of the first gen but with significant improvements to the handling via new electronic sway bars and retuned air suspension. It was stage 2+ making around 660hp and 675 ft-lbs, it absolutely flew but could seat 5, tow nearly 8,000 pounds, and had no issue with several feet of snow.

The second one I had was an '09 Turbo S which was uprated version with much nicer interior and a heathy bump in performance over the Turbo. I left that one fairly stock, a few small things but no engine tuning.

I prefer the shape of the 2008-2010 cayennes, I think they were the most aggressive. The new ones look way tamer to my eye.

Your Sport looks great. Did you have to remove the calipers to paint them and how has the paint held up?

Give me a ride in your 10 second buick and I'll tell ya! LOL jk
I left the calipers on (lazy way), just hit em with some brake clean, let em dry and used the high temp caliper paint. The only chipping I noticed was a rear caliper, no problem, repainted it. ;)

I'll have to try the sand mode trick! Haha

I had an '08 Cayenne Turbo, which was basically a refresh of the first gen but with significant improvements to the handling via new electronic sway bars and retuned air suspension. It was stage 2+ making around 660hp and 675 ft-lbs, it absolutely flew but could seat 5, tow nearly 8,000 pounds, and had no issue with several feet of snow.

The second one I had was an '09 Turbo S which was uprated version with much nicer interior and a heathy bump in performance over the Turbo. I left that one fairly stock, a few small things but no engine tuning.

I prefer the shape of the 2008-2010 cayennes, I think they were the most aggressive. The new ones look way tamer to my eye.

So funny I tell my wife the same thing! The new Cayenne's look way to "soft". the 2008-10 MY are the best in my opinion as well. Sounds like your '08 stage 2 was a BEAST and I am sure you taught plenty of "capable" sports cars a lesson! :D

Give me a ride in your 10 second buick and I'll tell ya! LOL jk
I left the calipers on (lazy way), just hit em with some brake clean, let em dry and used the high temp caliper paint. The only chipping I noticed was a rear caliper, no problem, repainted it. ;)

Thanks. I'll paint them also. You've have... and had... some great cars also :)

The calipers on my Saab started to get rust on them. I sanded them down and painted them while on (taped off the brake pads, etc.) in silver with the G3 kit 5 years ago. Still going strong.

So funny I tell my wife the same thing! The new Cayenne's look way to "soft". the 2008-10 MY are the best in my opinion as well. Sounds like your '08 stage 2 was a BEAST and I am sure you taught plenty of "capable" sports cars a lesson! :D

I think my favorites were all the kids with the M3's. Out on the highway when we had plenty of room to let them rip it was always fun seeing their smug faces turn to horror. I had plenty of those experiences, sometimes even while towing loads that weighed as much as their cars haha.

The calipers on my Saab started to get rust on them. I sanded them down and painted them while on (taped off the brake pads, etc.) in silver with the G3 kit 5 years ago. Still going strong.

I used that G2/3 paint on a past project as well. Really good stuff. No issues for years and years even with the heavy (ab)use.

I think my favorites were all the kids with the M3's. Out on the highway when we had plenty of room to let them rip it was always fun seeing their smug faces turn to horror. I had plenty of those experiences, sometimes even while towing loads that weighed as much as their cars haha.

For the most recent models the M3 does a quarter mile in 12.6, The Cayenne Turbo in 13.7.

The Sport comes in at roughly 14.4 which is pretty impressive, but you are blowing the doors off an M3 on the highway with a full load? Whether you are saying that was with a Cayenne or Sport, if you love your car it certainly can seem faster than it is.... Enjoy!

For the most recent models the M3 does a quarter mile in 12.6, The Cayenne Turbo in 13.7.

The Sport comes in at roughly 14.4 which is pretty impressive, but you are blowing the doors off an M3 on the highway with a full load? Whether you are saying that was with a Cayenne or Sport, if you love your car it certainly can seem faster than it is.... Enjoy!

I recall getting stuck in a caravan of E30/36/46 M3's that must have been part of some sort of auto club and having absolutely no problem running from highway speed (towing a 2500 pound closed trailer) and losing them. That was right when I got the car which would have been around the time the E92's were starting to come on the scene. These weren't V8 BMW 's but they were still sports cars that weighed half as much, and the Cayenne faired honorably. I have absolutely no intention of repeating those pulls with my explorer, which is down roughly 300hp and weighs about the same as the Cayenne.

I recall getting stuck in a caravan of E30/36/46 M3's that must have been part of some sort of auto club and having absolutely no problem running from highway speed (towing a 2500 pound closed trailer) and losing them. That was right when I got the car which would have been around the time the E92's were starting to come on the scene. These weren't V8 BMW 's but they were still sports cars that weighed half as much, and the Cayenne faired honorably. I have absolutely no intention of repeating those pulls with my explorer, which is down roughly 300hp and weighs about the same as the Cayenne.

Haha. I gave up on that stuff due to speeding tickets when I had a Boxster and Dinan 540, but it was fun at the time...

Since I experienced cars like that when I was younger, I have grown to be more practical with the thought of actually being able to afford to retire at this point in my life...

Haha. I gave up on that stuff due to speeding tickets when I had a Boxster and Dinan 540, but it was fun at the time...

Since I experienced cars like that when I was younger, I have grown to be more practical with the thought of actually being able to afford to retire at this point in my life...

Yeah I'm hoping that I can shake the habit as well, maybe attend some Automotives Anonymous meetings or something. Fingers crossed.

the magnaflow cat back will now fit tow package sports...fyi.

Back