Ford really does not care about "Quality is Job One" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford really does not care about "Quality is Job One"

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
As some of you have read on a previous thread about the dash to door panel "misalignment" issues, I have been trying to get Ford to take care of this product defect. Let me state that I would like to thank Crystal for all the help she has provided. But I cannot say the same about Ford's Customer care rep and the corporate attitude about defects in manufacturing and assembly.

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I had the door panel replaced last August because it appeared to have sunken in and or shrunken causing a pucker at the silver trim strip and a 1/2" drop between the dash and the right hand front inner door panel.

It appears that the foam that has been injected between the inner door skin and the outer spport panel has shrunken.

IMG_20121021_192211_581-vi.jpg

I brought the car back because after picking the car up there was no difference between what it looked like before and after the repair.

After I left the vehicle overnight the Service manager stated after conferring with Ford that they will not replace the panel again. He stated and I quote "All 2013 Ford Explorers were designed that way" They are all designed that way" Come on Ford. That is a cop out and a lame excuse for not trying right an obvious defect. They said the door was out of alignment but I showed them that the door was just fine when viewed in all aspects.

Do any of you out there with 2013 Explorers have this issue?

The Ford Customer Care rep stated that Ford views defects with a "fudge factor' and allows for a plus or minus variance when it come with defects and stated that my issue is "Within Specs" and since I had the panel replaced before that they will not replace it again.

The callous attitude towards quality the reason why Ford is loosing customer base. And if they allow a "fudge factor' when it comes to cosmetic issues like this one has to wonder what the "fudge factor" factors into product safety???

Remember the issue GM is having right now with the ignition switches....It is this "Fudge Factor" that engineers played with that allowed faulty switches to kill 13 people all because they came to the decision that a 50 cent fix was not in the companies interest and would not make a difference!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that you have some reason to be upset but it's not the end of the world. There are several posts where Ford has gone beyond what was considered reasonable and others where members were very satisfied by the outcome with their experience with sales, service and repairs. Ford's customer base is NOT shrinking, in fact it is growing and the 5th generation Explorer is really selling well. My 2011 Limited was sold within days of its return to the dealer. I am sure that there are many manufacturers, not just of vehicles, that have a tolerance factor for various issues. Although it may be human nature, it is highly unfair to judge the entire company based on your experience. Ford's sales figures for May still has it as number 1 in Canada. Are there others as upset as you? Yes, there are, but I'm sure that you will find similar feelings in many other forums as well.
I know that there are at least 2 members that are in your corner.

Peter

I don't want to take too much from your complaint but I've bought 6 new Fords (3 Explorers, 2 Escapes and a Windstar). I put no less than 100,000 on each and as many as 250,000 miles on one of them. I had one transmission issue fixed under warranty and one rear differential also fixed under warranty. My wife and both kids drive Fords and in all the years and all the miles I never had to go get a family member nor have I been left anywhere because a Ford broke down.

My 11 year old '03 is still tight as a drum and the 2012 Escape I just got my daughter is tight as a drum.

I know you've had a bad time of it, but overall, there are few auto manufacturers that are as consistent with quality and none that can compete on value.

I have this same problem and just decided to live with it. I actually really gave my Ex a real thorough going over when inspecting before purchase and missed this. I doubt anyone else notices it, though I agree it goes to general fit and finish concerns I have seen posted here. For me, I bought a used Ex with 31k on it that I did not expect to be perfect and feel I negotiated a great deal. I might feel different if I took delivery brand new at full price. I can live with it as I feel the Ex is an overall a great vehicle IMO outside of an issue like this, but I understand the frustration others have.

All of my panels on my 2013 Sport line up great... and if I had some panel "sag" that didn't affect the functionality of the vehicle, I'd live with it... it's a Ford not an Audi or Range Rover

Mines worse than that. I asked them to fix it and got the same response, it's not hurting anything so I'm not going to stress over it. It does bother me looking at it, but its a lease so ill just send it back that way.

Remember the issue GM is having right now with the ignition switches....It is this "Fudge Factor" that engineers played with that allowed faulty switches to kill 13 people all because they came to the decision that a 50 cent fix was not in the companies interest and would not make a difference!

A little over the top with that comment don't you think? I don't think your misaligned door panel will cause an accident or end up killing you. (Unless of course you keep fretting over it and staring at it while driving!)

No but it goes a long way to show that there is a corporate mindset that allows for such variances whether it be cosmetic, mechanical or electrical. If they say "oh that is OK and within specs" for a cosmetic issue then they can say the same about something that may affect vehicle safety. This was the problem at GM and the reason 12 engineers and others were let go. They too thought the insignificance of the change in plunger length and spring tension didn't warrant a change to the switches.

We've bought 19 new cars in my lifetime and this new Explorer Sport has BY FAR the best fit and finish of any new car we've ever had

No but it goes a long way to show that there is a corporate mindset that allows for such variances whether it be cosmetic, mechanical or electrical. If they say "oh that is OK and within specs" for a cosmetic issue then they can say the same about something that may affect vehicle safety. This was the problem at GM and the reason 12 engineers and others were let go. They too thought the insignificance of the change in plunger length and spring tension didn't warrant a change to the switches.

Yeah, but that's not the problem with the Ex. The engine is very solid and the vehicle is safe with no known safety defects that I am sure would have come up since introduction end of 2010.

There have been some fit and finish issues with some Ex's, and like I posted I can understand the frustration some have (though I have decided to ignore the same issue you have) but I don't see how fit and finish issues go to safety when there is no evidence of safety issues with the Ex.

We've bought 19 new cars in my lifetime and this new Explorer Sport has BY FAR the best fit and finish of any new car we've ever had

Proving perception and expectation management is everything! For a mid-grade, American made vehicle, it's actually very good.

You have no facts to this and until you do, your opinion is just that, your opinion. Ford has tolerance levels with EVERYTHING (just like every other manufacturer) but to say a misaligned trim panel is the same thing as an electrical or mechanical issue is absurd (in regards to how Ford handles issues).

My 11 has the same exact issue on the passenger side and I never brought it up to Ford about it because it's just not worth my time over something so minor.

good grief, that's quite a stretch there doc.

Welcome to the Forum JPPMP.:wavey:
Hope you are enjoying your Sport. Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Thanks Peter, we love it! really a nice SUV. It's really my wife's but she allows me to drive it on occasion:)

Not trying to minimize your complaint - but if you want a vehicle with better fit/finish, look at the Mercedes. My friends have one that I drive often. Much, much better and their vehicle electronics work all of the time. They cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Fit and finish on my MKT is top notch and probably cheaper than a Mercedes.;)

Peter

Sorry your having a problem, but I couldn't disagree more. This is my 6th Ford, had so few problems I can't remember them. The Sport is top notch and if something does go wrong, I have faith they'll take care of it. I don't think the small misalignment in your picture is much of a problem. I doubt anyone notices it but you. If your that unhappy, just sell it and find something else.

That comment is beyond silly and shows a severe lack of understanding.

If you get a PE license one thing you will learn that your first priority as an engineer is human safety. Another lesser priority is to cost (any idiot can design a billion dollar solution) as engineers are suppose to build cost efficient designs.

Safety and cosmetic issues are treated very differently in all industries and all competent engineers treat them differently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel the OP's pain. The only thing that is worse than the overall quality of our Explorer is Ford's attitude toward fixing the problems. It is mechanical and it will break, everyone should understand that. What separates car companies is how often they break and how they respond to getting the problem fixed. The Gray Ghost is nothing but a missed opportunity in my eyes now.

As for the statement "it's a Ford not an Audi or Range Rover", that just irritates the living daylights out of me. Like spending $43k on a car is such a small amount of money that it is okay for the manufacturer to marginally engineer their product or not stand behind it. I wonder how much Ford would have appreciated it if when they deposited our check it was only worth $35k. I'm sure they would complain, but all I could say is that is normal inflation. Sorry...

I know that this thing happens to every car manufacturer, but the point is I didn't give every car manufacturer our money, we gave it to Ford. Now I am feeling burned.

At any rate... take your lumps, dump the car, and consider it a lesson learned. Many other car companies would love to have your business :)

Well, enough of my rant.

Back