My Sport with HID 8000K's | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Sport with HID 8000K's

I'm a Canadian and purchased and have the cool bulbs set on my desk and will be installing when my sport finally arrives late Nov. I've done some research and what I can add, from what I've heard from other Canadians is you "must" change your DRL to go to the yellow side marker lights instead of the headlights.
There are threads and info on this and contrary to what some dealers may say it can be done. It's simply the tech connecting his laptop to the car, go into the settings and selecting the DRL on headlights or marker lights. It's a software thing and a 10min job and simple as that!
My dealer already agreed to do this for me when my vehicle comes in.
If you run your HIDS with the DRLS on the headlights you will have problems and also reduce the longevity of the bulbs.
The Limited's have HIDS already and their DRL's are already on the marker lights so no big deal.
What I'm doing to "make up" for the DRL's being on the markers and not as bright and visible as would have been on the headlights I purchased a set of the "Philips LED DayLight 4" LED DRL strips. (There is also some threads on this). I got a set for my Explorer and also installed a set on my wife's Honda pilot and they are awesome and the install was easy. Price on Amazon was around $90.

To your other questions: The cool bulbs set is all plug and play, no relay required, no flickering issues at startup. Because I haven't physically installed mine yet I can't all to the mounting however I've been taking notes of what others have done. I plan to (if I have to slit the boots) seal them back up with some type of sealant if possible but for anyone that's installed the "Coolbulbs" kit no one has ever indicated having to cut the boots...perhaps the connectors on the cool bulbs are simply small enough to fit through or something??

Can any other Canadian's who've installed HIDS add anything more?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolbulbs site comes up as a security risk as they are operating under a false name. When you actually click on a "buy" button you will get this error. If you bypass it the page fails. Fishy fishy fishy

Yeah I just tried to order a set, and couldn't... Hmmm maybe they went out of business.

I ordered my set a few months ago. I see that the site is bugged up when you try and order now. Not sure what's that's all about. I never had any problems with my order and never heard of anyone else having problems either.
Perhaps try and email them directly.

Any chance of a 4300k kit? Would love to get some but I am after the most light possible.

The thing with 4300k is most of the benefits are more mystical than actual. It is true that a higher lumen is technically available at that lumen but the human eye cannot distinguish it. A computer light test bench can but its on the order of a 2% increase and when you consider that HID from halogen is roughly a 300% increase in light sours output a 2% drop or only a 298% increase over halogen is almost nothing. The German lighting engineers determined a long time ago that 6000k was the idea lighting color and that is why almost 100% of german cars come with that color, the exceptions are ultra high end models like a Mercedes SLR or Porsche GT etc that come with 7000k

In my opinion people read misleading things on the web that are mostly respun old wives tales that have somehow over time become truth. We offer all the colors of HID but always try to get people to stick with whats out there in the real world because seeing well is most important but looking good is too.. the very Low K stuff and the very High K stuff just looks weird out there on the road and thats why I try to get people to stick with the middle of the range and what the car makers who make the best cars use. Their designers, engineers and scientists have worked this stuff out why fight?

So would these be considered hid xenons ? I just sold my 370z and bought the xsport and I loved the lights on my Z. How easy is install? Drawbacks? Any flickering or issues with drls? Thanks guys

My dealer is saying the sports dont have projectors for HID and I will need new housing. Are the sports projectors haloge projectors or xenon? Thanks

Your dealer is incorrect, I installed the Diode Dynamics 4300 OEM HID kit and it looks totally OEM.

I also spoke to one of the electrical engineers at a recent Ford event who advised even they experimented with several HID kits on the SPORT.

The Limited gets HID's and the SPORT doesn't because the Marketing people want certain options only available on certain trim levels,. theres no technical reason.

2016 SPORT goes all LED lighting so its not an issue after 15MY

bmmz, your dealer is absolutely correct. HID and halogen OEM lamps have different housings. This was confirmed by Ford technicians. When converting to HID to do it properly you must also change the housing. There are several posts on that. Here is a copy of a reply I posted in the thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397670

gwesam, you are absolutely correct about requiring the correct housing to have proper HID lighting.

From; http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

HID headlamps are terrific, and they can offer significant and substantial safety performance advantages over halogen headlamps, but only if they're designed and built as HID headlamps from the start. Installing an "HID kit" in a halogen headlamp isn't an upgrade, it's a large and serious safety downgrade.

In Canada, Transport Canada states;
If you wish to have HID headlights on a vehicle that was not originally equipped with them (ie: came from the factory with incandescent bulb headlights) you must replace the entire headlight assembly, bulbs and lenses, with HID equipment that meet the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (used to be CMVSS) Standard 108 and 108.1.

Halogens and HID bulbs have different focal points and the housings for each are designed with that in mind. This difference cannot be corrected by 'aiming' the lights.

Peter

Many places will tell you that just to get a sale. This 'conversion' project brings out many opinions. If you do an Internet search on it, you will also find varying opinions on the 'housing' issue. Unfortunately I don't have any idea what the cost would be. Your dealer's parts department may have some ideas on that.

Peter

You can put them in the regular housing and they may look great but the regular housing isn't designed for the HID bulb and the housing can't make up for the difference in the focal point. Taking that into consideration means that they aren't as 'great' as they could be if housed in the proper headlight assembly since the focus will be off no matter what you do. If you do go ahead with the conversion, don't go with the 8000k. Select either 4300k or 6000k. The latter seems to be a good compromise for light and looks.

Peter

Oh my god, you guys are way over analyzing this whole HID conversion nonsense.
Just instal the F'n HID kit and get on with it.

Yes, technically the position of the filament in the bulb is physically located with respect to the glass projector and it's focal length to establish a certain beam pattern of projected light that has gone through rigorous tested by the automotive safety approvals board to get the final stamp of approval so Ford could legally build such vehicles.

However; yes, since the filament in a HID bulb sits out of position by a small fraction of an inch it "technically" does not throw the "identical" beam pattern for which the automotive safety board approved and have the stamp of approval and could therefore be considered illegal.

But, "technically" lowering your vehicle with different springs throws the vehicle way out of spec for which it was designed and approved. Raising a vehicle same thing, tinting the windows too dark, putting tint film over tail lights could be considered illegal too as it reduces the visibility of your brake lights, ect...ect...

If you got out some sort of multi million dollar spectrum analyzer and plotted the beam pattern of the light from an aftermarket HID kit there would be minimal difference. And there is no difference that results in a safety hazard. The light from this particular housing in the the sport does not all of a sudden shine upwards and blind oncoming drivers. I have personally tested this by switching vehicles with my wife and driving head on to each other on the street.

At the end of the day the HID lights pump out more than twice as much light and is well focused to where it needs to be. It is no big deal, get on with it!

My info comes from an electrical engineer at Ford who works on lighting, not the internet.

Believe who you want, but it works fine.....I even went to the local dealer to check the light spread pattern because I was concerned about optics.

Yes the 16MY will skip HID and go all LED like 15 F150 "Atlas" headlights.

Ours already has LED's in the rear taillamps, side mirrors, and other spots.

I believe that it was one of the Ford reps on here that passed the info along from the Ford techs about the housings being different. Everyone knows that if it's on the Internet, it's got to be true.:D

Peter

I have done 6K HID conversions on fog and low beam along with dual color halos (Oracle) with the dual channel remote. All technicalities aside, I am very pleased with the HID's. I felt overpowered by oncoming headlights on a poorly lit back road one night and I rushed to have them done the next week. I just happened to get over zealous and added in the halos! :thumbsup:

The HID's are by Luminous in case anyone was wondering.

That looks awesome..if you dont mind how much did all of that cost you?

Since I added every option it wasn't cheap... $1450.
But there are less expensive set ups depending on what you want..
And remember I still have my stock headlights which I'm sure if I sell will go for about $800 easy...
These also come with. 2year warranty.

Hmm..not bad if you can get some out of the factory ones. Did you do the install yourself? My only concern would be the vehicle warranty being void.

I did not make the HL's myself. The company "the lighting firm" makes them from OEM lights. They are great..

My entire factory warranty is void anyway with the work done to my truck. And these lights come with a 2 year warranty too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't want to detract from your lighting post, but I would sure be interested in seeing more pictures of your air suspension setup (as well as your lights at night), hell I wanna see more pics of your entire ride lol. From what ive read and the quick video you posted, you may have the hottest EX sport ive seen yet

Thank you very much...
Here is a link to my build thread from start to finish with everything I have done, including pics and videos..

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2950

Hope you like it..

Back