Engine Fail Safe Mode-Low Oil Pressure Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Fail Safe Mode-Low Oil Pressure Fix

johnf24

Reaction score
City, State
Winder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
FYI-
I had an issue with my 2005 explorer over the weekend. When I attempted to start it, the engine defaulted to the "Engine Fail Safe" mode. The vehicle would not start. The on board system check kept stating that I had "low oil pressure". I changed out the oil pressure switch, but that did not help the situation. I got my hands on a friend's ODBII scan tool and got several codes from my OBDII system. They were as follows:

P2104 Throttle Actuator Ctrl System- Forced Idle
P2106 Throttle Actuator Ctrl System-Forced Limited Power
P2111 Throttle Actuator Ctrl System -Stuck Open
P2135 Throttle/Pedal Position Sens/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation
P0221 Throttle Pos Sens/Switch B Circ Range/Perf

I replaced the whole throttle body that consists of a Throttle Position Sensor, Throttle Actuator Control, and the Throttle Body itself (parts do not come seperately on 04 and later). It is actually a very easy component to replace yourself. The dealer part price is around $160 and a used part will run you about $75. Not too bad if you can install it yourself.

Anyway, this fixed my problem. If you disconnect the battery before replacing the part, it will clear the computer of any check engine lights when you start it, so you don't have to take it to the dealer. The "low oil pressure" indication went away once the vehicle actually started, so my problem had nothing to do with the oil pressure.

I hope this thread can help a fellow explorian in the future if needed. I searched this entire thread when I had my issue and couldn't find anything on it, so I wanted to pass on my experience.

Later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup:

Which engine do you have in that 2005?

over the winter every time it snowed my 04 would go into limp mode. some one on a forum said to check the air filter. when i checked it it was the wrong one. it was a little too small and one side would fall in the air filter housing. just thought i would throw this in this thread for people doing a search for fail safe mode

what size socket is needed to replace oil sensor on 2002 explorer 4.0L

Where is oil sensor located?

hi, I've got an 03 v8 eddie - and i'm geting low oil pressure - oil levels fine - where to next ?.

anybody have an update as to WHERE to location of the oil sensor switch is?

2002 eddie bauer v6 sohc 4.0

Back