B pillar overhead rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

B pillar overhead rattle

CMRA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ex Limited
I have a very annoying rattle that comes and goes in my '12 explorer. It's on the passenger side - basically if are sitting in the seat and raise your right hand and put pressure on the crossmember(?) that runs across from the B pillar you can silence it. Take your hand off and it starts right back up.

Of course when I had it at the dealer and rode with them it wouldn't rattle. Picked the car up and it started at it again before I was off the service road in front of the dealership. Any thoughts? The dealer does not want to remove the headliner until they hear it. I have recorded the noise with my iPhone on several occasions - highway speed, low speed. They say they don't doubt that it exists but they don't know what they can do since it can't be duped on demand.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a typical rattle or a creaking?

I'd say no, it sounds like a clip or something of that nature is broken and rattles against something, gets stuck and stops and the starts back again. It's very loud and can be heard above the radio.

Finally, someone else with the same exact problem as I've been dealing with for 8 mos. I have a 2013 XLT. Is yours doing it all the time? Mine is intermittent. I especially notice it when it's around 60 - 70 degrees and damp. Weird. It sat at ford for 4 days 3 weeks ago. They dropped the headliner. They were able to duplicate it everytime they shut the passenger door. They couldn't figure it out. Supposedly everything was tight. By day 4 they narrowed it down to a "cable" that was routed wrong from the factory. 4 days later the sound returned. I personally think it's the whole Moonroof assembly. It is very annoying and makes it feel cheap when it starts rattling. btw it doesn't matter if the roof is vented, closed, or open. Anyone else experience this? Fix?

Here's a link to audio from my rattle taken today. It's a YouTube of a photo with my iPhone voice memo as the audio...I wasn't sure how else to share it. http://youtu.be/dXWoX6lMs94

Hmm.. kinda sounds like what's going on in my Sport

CMRA sounds like the same thing I have going on. I started a thread on it too. Dealer ordered me a new 2nd row headrest but I KNOW that isnt the problem. I had a buddy drive around with me in the back seat and I heard nothing. Spent almost $50,000 on this rattle trap. Got my wife a $25,000 CRV and it doesn't make a sound. Unreal.

Croll326, mine definitely isn't from a 2nd row headrest. This noise is right above the front row passengers head. The tech says there shouldn't be anything up there to make that noise. Can you press on your 2nd row pax side reading light and make it stop? The audio I posted was about 15mph on a smooth street, you can hear it stop as I come to a complete stop at a stop sign. As soon as I turned the corner it started again.

That's the exact same sound I've been hearing too. Mine stops as soon as I touch that metal crossbar above the headliner/seats.

I have a very annoying rattle that comes and goes in my '12 explorer...

Finally, someone else with the same exact problem as I've been dealing with for 8 mos...

Hmm.. kinda sounds like what's going on in my Sport

CMRA sounds like the same thing I have going on...

Hi gang,

Don't forget to reach out to me if you need assistance following a dealer visit. For me to help, I'll need a PM from you with your specifics: full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. If you've been in touch with me before and still need help, all I'll need in your PM is your current mileage and a verification of your daytime phone number.

Crystal

That's the exact same sound I've been hearing too. Mine stops as soon as I touch that metal crossbar above the headliner/seats.

What does your dealer say? I'm about to go out of warranty and the ESP excludes squeaks and rattles.

After far too many nights at my dealer my explorer is FIXED!!

What did they find the problem was??

I'm going to save the day here and tell all you folks where the noise is coming from. Its a very easy DIY fix too.

On the roof-rack bars (OUTSIDE THE VEHICLE) that run front to back on each side of the Explorer find the black plastic caps that cover the mounting hardware (Parts that would hold the roof-rack cross bars if we had em). Tap lightly on this black plastic cap and you will hear the noise. Once identified pop off the cap and apply a couple dabs of clear silicone caulking and let dry to keep it from rattling.

I chased this problem with my 2011 and then my 2013 Sport started to do the same thing. Quick fix the second time around!

Post back if this fix is successful for you!

Looked for screws. Can't find anything. Pic?

Nm. Found it. The far back cover pops off. It definitely rattles. Going to remove it and drive around for a few days. HOPE THIS WORKS!

Thanks!!

Mine is back now in the shop. Let me know if this worked.

Nm. Found it. The far back cover pops off. It definitely rattles. Going to remove it and drive around for a few days. HOPE THIS WORKS!

Thanks!!

Both of mine have been the front cover. If you still have the noise pull the front too. wouldn't hurt to silicone all 4.

I can all but guarantee you that this is the problem you are all having.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is the cowl, there are members that have had it replaced/fixed under warranty.

Peter

Back