• Register Today It's free!

"O/D Off" flash

PaulElder

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Hello all. After some reading about this issue, it seems the solution could be just about anything. There appear to be folks with similar problems as mine, but not quite exactly. Here is my particular issue:

2003 Explorer, 4.0, auto trans, @ 124,000 miles, daily driver.

My truck has a flashing OD Off light and it shifts hard from 3-D. The light comes on 5-10 seconds after starting the truck, even if its never taken out of Park. If I try to manually turn on/off the O/D on the shift lever while driving, there is no change in rpm. There is no CEL. I took it to Advance Auto to have the codes pulled, they said since no CEL, that there would be no codes. From my reading here, the flashing od light will generate a code of some sort.

It looks like I will have to take it to the dealer... man, I hate the thought of that.

Any thoughts what I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autozone uses a scan tool that cannot retrieve transmission codes in some vehicles and Ford is one them. Autozone was also wrong about no codes are available unless the CEL is lit, if the OD light is flashing there is a code stored in the computer for the transmission and it can be retrieved at any time with the right tool.

Getting this code will help greatly in figuring out what is wrong. Based on when the light starts to flash it would seem to be a electrical issue with one or more of the electrical items with the transmission. Until you can get the codes it would be a good idea to check all of the electrical connections on the transmission.

You dont have to go to the dealer any good shop should have the right tools to get a accurate diagnoises, maybe find your local transmission shop.

Yep I would contact a local transmission shop and find out what they will charge you to simply read the codes and do no work. Make it clear to them that you only want the codes read and want nothing more. Tell them your brother is a mechanic and does all your work for you, but you need codes.

I got my local shop to read mine for less than $30.

Buy the cheapest "CAN" capable code reader you can find, then read the codes yourself. JK is absolutely right. imp

My guy at the shop told me that he pulled a code 790. He thought it might be a wiring problem, but was not able to find anything faulty. He suspects a bad pcm. What say ye?
Paul

Problem resolved. It ended up being a shift coil pack... transmission guys replaced, no more light, no more hard shift.
Paul

O/D OFF flashing... again :(

2003 Explorer XLT, 4.0, with 140,000 miles

This past Jan, I had to have a transmission coil pack replaced that solved a hard shift & flashing o/d off light. It had been running just fine, until this morning.

On my way to work, the o/d off light started flashing again. There is NO shifting. I did not think that I was actually in OD, because the rpm's seemed a tad bit high, but when I would push the o/d button on the shift lever the rpm would raise & drop. Maybe it was just paranoia.

Fact remains that the light is flashing for some apparent reason. I guess I'll call xmission shop to pull the codes & go from there.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Paul, my '02 explorer is going through what your first problem was. Sounds exactly the same. O/D light flashes before it's ever put in gear. Just wondering if you found the answer to your second problem that you mentioned. Really interested in what that was before I start in on mine in case I need to look at something else too.

Back