13 Exp Lawsuit

AJ4VS

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I thought this might be of interest to some here -

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...springs-ford-lawsuit-20140617,0,7941136.story

Lawsuit: Coral Springs woman, daughter got sick when Ford didn't fix defect
By Jessica Meszaros, Sun Sentinel

3:21 p.m. EDT, June 17, 2014

A Coral Springs woman has filed a lawsuit in federal court against Ford Motor Co., claiming that her 2013 Ford Explorer's defective release of carbon monoxide in the passenger area has made her and her 5-year-old daughter ill.

"We did our own tests and confirmed that carbon monoxide does get into the car when it's being driven," said Michael Hersh, a lawyer representing plaintiff Angela Sanchez-Knutson.

In an email, a Ford spokeswoman said, "We cannot comment on pending litigation."

Sanchez-Knutson, 34, started smelling exhaust fumes while inside her Ford Explorer shortly after she bought it in March 2012, she said. Worried about the odor, she took the Explorer about eight times between September 2012 and April this year to an authorized Ford dealership in Sunrise, the lawsuit said. The dealership acknowledged there was an exhaust odor problem, but assured the family it wasn't a health hazard, the lawsuit said.

Sanchez-Knutson and her daughter have since experienced headaches because of their exposure to carbon monoxide, it said. In April, the family had the vehicle independently tested by a hazardous-materials fire captain, showing the vehicle was emitting lethal quantities into the passenger area, the family said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I complained that my mom got sick in the car to my dealership but the shop foreman told me that it was normal. I believed him but the smell is still around after 20k miles and 3+ years and my mom doesn't like riding in the Explorer cause she always gets carsick in there while in my other cars, she's fine. If there is a Carbon Monoxide problem, then Ford better fix it.

Lawsuit Ford on TV

Local TV in Miami and Ft Lauderdale had a story about a family who is taking legal action on their ford explorer 2013 and the exhaust odor inside when driving. Owner is a FF must be on a haz mat team because it showed the meter they used to check for Co in explorer it showed 132 ppm. Which is over the standard for Co. They stated their family was getting sick on long trips and yes truck was to the dealer 7 times for this issue
Yes seems like a lemon return but they stated they feel Ford should have some type of action on them for not recalling the trucks.
The local tv station is wfor in miami if anyone wants the story

Anyone put a CO meter in their Explorer to see what it reads vs. normal outside air?

yeh it's all over the news down here, pretty f'd up

Yes look at the video it showes the CO meter reading 139 they state anything over 100 is a hazard

I have to wonder if people experiencing this have the rear a/c system on?

No, it doesn't happen to all Explorers. I would say the majority do not have this issue. But having said that, no one should have it. Don't forget that complaints seem to dominate many Forums because when doing an Internet search on a particular problem, that is how some owners find a Forum. The majority of satisfied owners likely don't look for these Forums or post that they don't have any issues.

Peter

I tried a CO detector and got several readings when held close to the center console vents and AC on high. 113PM and once 133PPM
But when I put the detector in a cup holder it was 30 PPM and under.
So for now all vents are pointed away from our faces.

Is Ford working on a fix?

This is really worrying. We just picked up this vehicle less than a week ago. Funny how after we pick it up the news reports this.

We have 3 kids who ride in the back ranging from ages 1-6.

Does this happen to EVERY explorer or only some have issues? I haven't accelerated "hard" so I may not have noticed it yet.
I am really worried now to use the truck now with my children being there.

I have had a 2011, 2013, and now a 2014.

I drive a 2013 Interceptor Utility at work.

NEVER had this issue in any of them.

NEVER had this issue in any of them.
I've never had any indication of high levels of any noxious fumes.

Not to say it has never happened, but it doesn't happen to all of them.

I find myself passing idiots from time to time and I get a smell on hard acceleration.

I do not like it, but it does not seem over powering

Running fresh air through AC solves it relatively quickly

btw, my wife says I am very sensitive to smells

Do you ever step on it?

Put it this way, what I do with my Utility and Sport probably shouldn't be articulated on a public forum.

In May I drove a fresh 2014 Sport around LVMS at 100MPH+ for numerous laps and nothing.

In February I drove around Dearborn Development Center testing AWD, EPAS, and braking without any odour other than burning rubber and hot brakes.

I still find it odd that this issue seems so sporadic in a vehicle model thats got the same production parts.

I rarely use RECIRC on the HVAC settings so perhaps thats an issue.

Im driving a 14 Interceptor Utility EcoBoost right now in AZ, its 106°F today so I used RECIRC and was running 80MPH on the I10 to the 202, got nothing but ice cold AC.

Put it this way, what I do with my Utility and Sport probably shouldn't be articulated on a public forum.

In May I drove a fresh 2014 Sport around LVMS at 100MPH+ for numerous laps and nothing.

In February I drove around Dearborn Development Center testing AWD, EPAS, and braking without any odour other than burning rubber and hot brakes.

I still find it odd that this issue seems so sporadic in a vehicle model thats got the same production parts.

I rarely use RECIRC on the HVAC settings so perhaps thats an issue.

Im driving a 14 Interceptor Utility EcoBoost right now in AZ, its 106°F today so I used RECIRC and was running 80MPH on the I10 to the 202, got nothing but ice cold AC.

Same here.. I've had my 11 for over 3 years now, had the TSB done because on one occasion I smelled the rotten egg smell which made me almost gag.. Ever since then, never again.. 65,000 miles and I run it hard.

I don't get it either on why it is so sporadic.

Same here.. I've had my 11 for over 3 years now, had the TSB done because on one occasion I smelled the rotten egg smell which made me almost gag.. Ever since then, never again.. 65,000 miles and I run it hard.

I don't get it either on why it is so sporadic.

Rotten eggs is an interesting thing to smell, considering that smell is usually H2S (or some other sulfur compound). The article talks about potential CO poisoning, and carbon monoxide is odorless. Glad you haven't had any issues since they fixed it with the TSB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back