• Register Today It's free!

Amp Install

Wolfie_85

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I want to put in a sub and amp, but I want to be able to retain functionality in my cargo area and not have wires everywhere. I want to simply unhook the sub and take it out when I need room, and not worry about the amp.

So far, I can only think of putting it under the back seat on the right side, but only if I can fold the seat down. But what's a good spot to ground it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stick the sub and amp in the factory location and you can have the whole cargo area, all the wires behind the panel, and no need to lug a sub box in and out of the vehicle every time you want to haul something:

15492109-0913_img.jpg

2012-05-18_15-52-00_872.jpg

You can also stick just the amp in there if you really want a larger and removable sub box for some reason:

AmpSub.jpg

I love that idea, but I have a 12" already in a box that I had in a car I'm getting rid of. The factory enclosures seem easy to find and install, but they take 8" subs (not kooking to buy new stuff right now, money is tight). And a custom enclusure to put behind the panel that would fit a 12"? I don't have the tools or time to build it. And I fear having someone do it would be crazy expensive. But I have thought about it!

Well, you can still use your box and amp and just stick the amp back there.

All you really need is a small piece of MDF (or really any thick piece of wood is good) and a few bolts and clip-in nuts/retainers to bolt the wood to the body behind the panel (there are holes back there for mounting the factory sub enclosure like that).

The hardest part and most-time consuming thing is removing the fasteners to get the rear panel off.

You can probably stuff a 12" in the factory location with a custom box, I think the JL shown above is a 12". A 10" is a lot easier, though.

Polk MM Subs are small box subs that work well in very small enclosures. I have dual MM10's, push/pull configuration in a small sealed box that gets moved around as the cargo needs change. Polk, IMHO are the best speakers, particularly subs, for the money I have ever used and I've used a fair amount in my younger days of car audio nirvana chasing. Lots of good sounding and inexpensive subs out there, but I really am happy and impressed with Polk.

As for putting your amp under the rear seats, I would advise against the idea. I have 2 amps back there, and eq and caps for the amps and while they fit well enough when the seats are up, they are very much in the way when the seats come down to haul stuff. The space is close to useless if/when the seats go down.

Yeah, I am a bit concerned about how much room will be left to fold the seats down, but it is a pretty thin amp. I haven't tried yet (time is a scarce commodity for me!), but I will see. If not, I will try behind the panel on the left.

I've had the sub and amp for about 10 years, it was first in my Oldsmobile Toronado, then migrated to my Chevy Malibu, now it will find a home in my Explorer. Oddly enough, the cone on the sub and the color of the amp match the exterior paint of the Explorer!

Well, I tried. Amp is too wide for under the seat!

i think under the seat it might over heat anyways, thats the problem ive always wondered about and have had a problem deciding on where i want to put it, i might be wrong or it might depend on the amp but i would put it in a place it can kinda breath and get some air to it.

You can't mount it on the back of the sub box? Make the sub box removable & just move the whole thing when you need to & cap the wires.
I have a powered 10", & can still stuff tons of gear in mine. Never had any problems carrying anything in the time I had it.
On another explorer I had the amps were mounted behind the passenger rear panels. But the sub amp would overheat on me. I was only running a 10 @ 400W rms.
934.jpg

I found my solution. I'm just going to put the amp in the cargo area, maybe attatch it to the back of the rear seats. I ran my powerline through a grommet on the driver's side in the firewall. Of course, the RCA's are going through the passenger side to avoid interference. I shouldn't really have to take the amp out at any point, but the box is another story. :p

Back