HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

I'm not an expert and I don't even own my 2014 Sport yet but I've been reading up on the HID conversions. I absolutely will do something to my Sport when it arrives as I currently drive a 2011 WRX STi with HIDs. They are so "clean" and bright compared to halogens its sort of a wonder why manufacturers don't offer it in every vehicle.

Anyhow, from my reading the difference between the halogen projectors and the HID projectors is the cutoff and focus of light. The cutoff is the most important aspect IMO because it keeps you from blinding oncoming traffic. The focus is less important as all modern projector beam headlights focus the light that emits from the sides of the bulb out the front of the projector, thats much more efficient because as you can see by looking at any bulbs the light is emitted from the sides and not the front of the bulb so focus is important but not as much as the sharp cutoff thats desired from HID housings.

If you're REALLY interested browse through other forums that are doing the exact same thing as here. There are Explorer owners who have done the projector swap just as the F-150 people are doing, its certainly more involved but will give you a better finished product...

http://www.f150online.com/forums/il...13-ford-oem-hid-headlights-now-available.html

I'm currently looking at getting the housings from a Limited with HIDs and then retrofitting from there...BUT you lose the cool blacked out housing... sheesh Ford c'mon!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lackluster Morimoto experience yesterday

Installed my 55w 5000K HIDs and HD relay from theretrofitsource.com yesterday. I've gotta say, I had a better experience with my DDM kit on my Mazda 6 than I did with their kit yesterday... :(

MORIMOTO

Pros:
The light output is great. Very smooth and consistent, true to color.

Cons:
Even with the HD relay, the driver's side bulb failed to ignite on the 4th start up.
The HD relay has a constant high pitched tone whenever the ignition is on.
Since the HD relay isn't shielded in any way, it kills all radio stations with static.
Over three times the price of my DDM kit that I've never had a problem with.
Passenger's side bulb base was slightly undersized so it didn't "click" into place after being turned, it just turned freely, so I had to 'rig' it to stay in place.

Like I said; the light output is fantastic! So, that's a much needed positive note here...how much of that is the bulb and how much is the housing? That I can't tell you...

But, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with everything else. At over $150 for this kit and all the positive reviews, I had a lot higher hopes for TRS and Morimotos. I wouldn't say I was being unrealistic...it's just the problems I've already had with the kit aren't problems I would expect to have for that kind of coin...these are busch-league problems.

I haven't contacted TRS or anything...yet. Figured I would wait a week after install and see what changes.
Either way, I'll be taking these relays off since the whole point of dealing with the other cons of the relays was to make sure both lights light every time...and that's not happening so... :thumbdwn:

Just ordered HIDs from coolbulbs

I just ordered 9005 and H11 HIDs from coolbulbs - 6000k. I have been reading all around and seems that people have decent luck with coolbulbs. I spoke with Andrew and he was very helpful even before I purchased anything from him. I am going keep searching for new threads, tips, and tricks on the install but I have installed one other HID kit on an older car and it was pretty easy. Does anyone have pics of thier sport with 6000k headlight and fogs on?

Is anything else required for a better end products? I read a lot about different harnesses, CANBUS, and many other add ons. Coolbulbs claims to not need any of them.

I just ordered 9005 and H11 HIDs from coolbulbs - 6000k. I have been reading all around and seems that people have decent luck with coolbulbs. I spoke with Andrew and he was very helpful even before I purchased anything from him. I am going keep searching for new threads, tips, and tricks on the install but I have installed one other HID kit on an older car and it was pretty easy. Does anyone have pics of thier sport with 6000k headlight and fogs on?

Is anything else required for a better end products? I read a lot about different harnesses, CANBUS, and many other add ons. Coolbulbs claims to not need any of them.
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one. It has pics of the 6000k lights ON.

Peter

See my other post "step by step HID Fog install + Pics".
I have a few comparisons pics between halogen, 6K HID and 8K HID.
I have 6K coolbulbs in the headlights and 8K coolbulbs in the fogs.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398835&highlight=fog+pics

Installed my 55w 5000K HIDs and HD relay from theretrofitsource.com yesterday. I've gotta say, I had a better experience with my DDM kit on my Mazda 6 than I did with their kit yesterday... :(

MORIMOTO

Pros:
The light output is great. Very smooth and consistent, true to color.

Cons:
Even with the HD relay, the driver's side bulb failed to ignite on the 4th start up.
The HD relay has a constant high pitched tone whenever the ignition is on.
Since the HD relay isn't shielded in any way, it kills all radio stations with static.
Over three times the price of my DDM kit that I've never had a problem with.
Passenger's side bulb base was slightly undersized so it didn't "click" into place after being turned, it just turned freely, so I had to 'rig' it to stay in place.

Like I said; the light output is fantastic! So, that's a much needed positive note here...how much of that is the bulb and how much is the housing? That I can't tell you...

But, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with everything else. At over $150 for this kit and all the positive reviews, I had a lot higher hopes for TRS and Morimotos. I wouldn't say I was being unrealistic...it's just the problems I've already had with the kit aren't problems I would expect to have for that kind of coin...these are busch-league problems.

I haven't contacted TRS or anything...yet. Figured I would wait a week after install and see what changes.
Either way, I'll be taking these relays off since the whole point of dealing with the other cons of the relays was to make sure both lights light every time...and that's not happening so... :thumbdwn:

If you end up pulling that kit out I had great success with the Diode Dynamics 4300K kit. Completely plug and play, complete with Relay, CANBUS Hylux ballasts, and DRL modules.

One bulb wasn't working right, they shipped new one same day no questions asked.

Put the vehicle beside a 13 Limited with HID's, looks OEM, as I wanted.

I noticed a little interference with rear view camera video, so I just moved the ballast to another location (away from fuse block) and no issues.

If you end up pulling that kit out I had great success with the Diode Dynamics 4300K kit. Completely plug and play, complete with Relay, CANBUS Hylux ballasts, and DRL modules.

One bulb wasn't working right, they shipped new one same day no questions asked.

Put the vehicle beside a 13 Limited with HID's, looks OEM, as I wanted.

I noticed a little interference with rear view camera video, so I just moved the ballast to another location (away from fuse block) and no issues.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep that in mind.

I heard back from Andrew at TRS today. Seems like it might be more my fault for ordering the wrong parts than anything...I was under the impression that I needed the HD relay to prevent the bulb out issues; but Andrew says some of the new expos need the canbus system instead. SO...that's what I'm in for. He's been very helpful and offered to exchange the relay for the canbus harness.

thank you for the installation thread. while its an easy install, its always nice to have step by step instructions when doing stuff like this. it made my insall much easier but unfortunately i received a faulty ballast and its causing flickering. ive emailed andrew at coolbulbs and hopefully they can get me a new ballast quickly. I noticed your ballasts and another member on here that posted a positive review have black plugs coming off your ballast for the main plug. mine were both red, im wondering if i got the faulty ballast andrew was talking about?

thank you for the installation thread. while its an easy install, its always nice to have step by step instructions when doing stuff like this. it made my insall much easier but unfortunately i received a faulty ballast and its causing flickering. ive emailed andrew at coolbulbs and hopefully they can get me a new ballast quickly. I noticed your ballasts and another member on here that posted a positive review have black plugs coming off your ballast for the main plug. mine were both red, im wondering if i got the faulty ballast andrew was talking about?

I installed mine yesterday and also had a red cord coming from them. I didn't have any problems with the install after reversing the polarity, I think. I reversed one it worked, than swore I didn't reverse another and than they both worked. I wasn't even drinking and it seemed a bit weird it just started working!

Let me know what Andrew says! But I did drive about 45 mins with them on last night with no issues and even used the brigthts.

Ben

It's probably just a faulty ballast, it's not a big deal depending on how they handle it. I've heard good things about their customer service so I am not worried.

All right guys, here are a few pictures of the Explorer! I installed 4300k HID kit from Diode Dynamics...I believe they are they BEST in the business, they are extremely accommodating, very knowledgeable, and just all around GREAT!!!! I went back out there today, because I bent the bar on one of the bulbs, they replaced it with NO hesitations whatsoever, they even re-installed the new bulb. I would Highly recommend buying any HID or LED lights from these guys!!! Here is a link to their website...at least check it out if you're in the market www.diodedynamics.com also check out my website too www.kfbphotography.com
6E1C10631.jpg

6E1C10591.jpg

6E1C10531.jpg

6E1C10511.jpg

6E1C10481.jpg

6E1C10321.jpg

this actually looks like OEM HIDs. Are these really the conversion kits? Any feedback at night? I sent you a PM.

Hi everyone.

New to this forum. Recently purchased a 2014 ford explorer XLT.
I want to add hid to my explorer. I have checkout two company's

1. Diode Dynamics and
2. The retrofit source

Diode Dynamics sells a "CNlight" brand hid and, Retrofit source sells "Morimoto" brand. I would like to know which is a better brand if you may have used them and if you have, had any problems with them during use and install.

I can speak to Diode Dynamics HID quality, I bought their Hylux CANBUS ballasts 4300K kit for OEM look, no issues, Plug & Play, using them as DRL too

So this isn't a real HID retrofit, it's just installing the "HID" bulb into a halogen housing. How bad is the light scatter/spread?

So this isn't a real HID retrofit, it's just installing the "HID" bulb into a halogen housing. How bad is the light scatter/spread?
You are correct. I don't think anyone here has done a real retrofit. That would require changing the housing to one specifically designed for HID lamps. The Ford techs have acknowledged that the housings for the Halogen and HID are different.

Peter

You are correct. I don't think anyone here has done a real retrofit. That would require changing the housing to one specifically designed for HID lamps. The Ford techs have acknowledged that the housings for the Halogen and HID are different.

Peter

Correct, for it to be a true HID you would need to change out the lens and housing as you stated since halogens have different light patterns.

I just did the Vision Pro HID kit 6000K over the weekend and it was the best $250 I have ever spent on a car. It has a blue hue, but looks ridiculously amazing. Install took about an hour, but plug and play.

i researched headlights and fog lights for months and doing a HID was the only logical choice. I am planning on doing a write up on my impressions of the visionpro kit because there is another one on the forum for coolbulbs. I didnt find cooldbulbs that helpful when trying to decide on a kit.

I installed the Diode Dynamics 4300K systems in my headlights and fogs last week. Their new systems come with the CANBUS wiring harness. It was plug and play all the way. Fired up perfectly on the first try. So far I could not be happier with the results. This should have been the factory setup. The longest part of the installation was making everything neat and tidy.

So far I've not had any flashing from oncoming traffic and the cutoff on my garage door looks the same as before. The fogs are equally improved. My only wish is that I could aim the headlights horizontally. I feel they are towed in to the middle a little too much. In a perfect world I would adjust the passenger side a out towards the right edge.

I just wonder how many members that are switching to the HID lamps are aware that the Limited with the OEM HIDs has a larger capacity battery and a higher amp fuse for the lights than the none OEM HID Explorers?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wonder how many members that are switching to the HID lamps are aware that the Limited with the OEM HIDs has a larger capacity battery and a higher amp fuse for the lights than the none OEM HID Explorers?

Peter

The CANBUS system with my kit connects directly to the battery with it's own fuse blocks. It uses the factory connector as a trigger for the relays. As for battery capacity, I have not seen any dimming at idle or indication that there is any significant increase in demand with the 35 watt versions. After seeing these in person I can't imagine needing the bigger wattage HIDs.

Back