Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
corpflyboy

To duplicate the problem takes the car from 0 to 80 with Wide Open Throttle.

Let us know how we did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dragonexplorer12

Your car which was built in the USA.
The agency that regulates auto manufacturing is the NHTSA.
Make your complaint to NHTSA.
You have to live in a part of the U.S in order to file a complaint. The Philippines is not part of the U.S and therefore you can not complete the complaint form with the required address information.

Peter

I bought a CO tester online (actual tool, not a cheap alarm). I will post results on my 2014 limited when I have them. Just wanted to note that my parents have a 2013 sport and complain of the same issue...

FYI, got a call this morning from the dealer saying that Ford is revising the TSB to cover the 2014 models. Sounds to me that they did NOT fix this manufacturering flaw on the new models even when they knew the issue existed. The truck will be going in for the TSB, but I do not have high hopes.

Although I have never had 'the smell', unfortunately I do share your pessimism. :(

Peter

I to am having the "rotten egg" smell when coming to a stop in my 2013 Explorer Limited. I bought mine used, so it has 40k on it.

I took mine in my local dealer, which was able to reproduce the smell but, was unable to fix it. They are currently awaiting a response from Ford on actions to take next.

I brought the "TSB 12-8-8" to them printed out (to possibly help with the troubleshooting). My local dealer thinks the two are not related, and it is exhaust gases getting into the cabin of the vehicle.

Hopefully Ford gets back to my dealer soon, my family is disgusted by the smell and hates riding in my car now. Nothing like a $30k rotten egg rolling down the road.

The fix you have been waiting for

The exhaust smell entering your cabin cannot be fixed. If you would like to get rid of the problem get a lemon law attorney. I did and my problem is solved. Think about it, this forum topic is 3 years old and the problem still exists.

I am currently residing in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited have the same burned smell issue. If I stepped on the accelerator to 3,000 - 4,000 Rpm the smell is very strong and I had to open my windows to get rid of the burned smell. So I hope the TSB will come out for this.

...I took mine in my local dealer, which was able to reproduce the smell but, was unable to fix it. They are currently awaiting a response from Ford on actions to take next...

Send me your info in a PM, BillyBoB4869; I'll look into this further. In your message, include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Looks like the issue has grabbed some national attention. Its being investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. There has also been a class action lawsuit filed against Ford in Florida. Angela Sanchez-Knutson is suing Ford over reports of lethal amounts of carbon monixide entering the vehicle via the air vents. She and her 13 year old daughter suffered headaches and became sick while riding in the vehicle. She reports that she took the vehicle to her Ford dealer 8 times and had the TSB done with no improvment. Her lawyer reports that the carbon monoxide level reached in her vehicle got as high as 100 ppm. We all know that the lawyers in the class action lawsuits are looking for $$$, but maybe it will shed some more light on the issue.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/nhts...cabin-of-late-model-ford-explorers-1403276479
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/21/b...xhaust-leaks-are-under-nhtsa-review.html?_r=0

Welcome to the Forum trob89.:wavey:
I don't know if you've read the previous page but there are posts/links there about the news article you refer to.

Peter

No problem my friend. Posts sometimes tend to get buried, especially in long threads. All additional info on this subject is more than welcome. :):thumbsup:

Peter

My 2013 Limited AWD also makes this smell upon moderate to hard acceleration.

EDIT: NHTSA vehicle safety complaint filed.

The exhaust smell entering your cabin cannot be fixed. If you would like to get rid of the problem get a lemon law attorney. I did and my problem is solved. Think about it, this forum topic is 3 years old and the problem still exists.

How hard is the lemon process in CA?

I just bought my certified used in Oregon. I love the car but, I bought it as a family car. Now I'm scared to take my newborn in it when traveling. I don't have the money to get a CO sensor to check the levels but its pretty obvious i'm am having the same issue as hundred (if not thousands) of other people are.

Very sad nothing has come of this for 3 + years...

2014 Limited w/ same problem

I couldn't be more happy to see this thread. I bought a 2014 Explorer Limited on February 28 2014 and I have been experiencing this and several other problems from day 1. Seeing that others have verified this is likely exhaust gases, and this car was purchased as a family car so my wife and I could safely travel with our children (they are 3 and 1), I would like a PM from a Ford Customer Service Representative so we can start deciding the best fix for this. I have had several other issues that the dealer has not provided reasonable responses to (MFT doesn't take input when < 60 degrees F and my $595 paint is coming off all plastic parts) so I am extremely disappointed in this experience.

A complaint for the exhaust issues has been filed with the NHTSA.

I couldn't be more happy to see this thread. I bought a 2014 Explorer Limited on February 28 2014 and I have been experiencing this and several other problems from day 1. Seeing that others have verified this is likely exhaust gases, and this car was purchased as a family car so my wife and I could safely travel with our children (they are 3 and 1), I would like a PM from a Ford Customer Service Representative so we can start deciding the best fix for this. I have had several other issues that the dealer has not provided reasonable responses to (MFT doesn't take input when < 60 degrees F and my $595 paint is coming off all plastic parts) so I am extremely disappointed in this experience.

A complaint for the exhaust issues has been filed with the NHTSA.
Welcome to the Forum mrnTNfan.:wavey:
To send a PM to Crystal (FordService) you can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone!

New to the forums for exactly this issue. I've had my 2014 Explorer Limited for about 6 months now and am about halfway through a 2200 mile road trip across the US. I never noticed the issue in my daily driving around town, but now with the interstate driving it's really noticeable. Every time I pass or merge on to a highway it shows its ugly head. My biggest concern is finishing the road trip with my pregnant wife in the vehicle. I can only imagine what other garbage chemicals are coming in with the smell.

I suppose my question is this, I scheduled an appointment with a Ford Dealer in Michigan (My current location) for tomorrow, is there anything in particular I should tell them if they are not familiar with the issue? I cant say I'm to excited to waste time on my vacation explaining to a dealer how exhaust fumes in my car are probably REALLy bad for my wife and unborn baby.

Back