Explorer hitch wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hitch wiring

rkfguard

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer
just bought a 2012 explorer w/o tow package. want to add hitch and wiring. does anyone know if I can just tap into the tail lights to get the 4 wire hookup. I noticed that there is a brown wire that appears to be the brake wire, and 2 yellow wires that are the tail lights. how do I and what color wires do I tap into for the tail lights and brake lights..i have led rear lights..thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not try and tap in to the wires yourself. It's a sure way to get troubles....Most places that sell the hitch also sell a wire loom that is plug and play, and very easy to install. I'd check out etrailer.com.................they show them and are a good source for such needs..........best regards Plum

just bought a 2012 explorer w/o tow package. want to add hitch and wiring. does anyone know if I can just tap into the tail lights to get the 4 wire hookup. I noticed that there is a brown wire that appears to be the brake wire, and 2 yellow wires that are the tail lights. how do I and what color wires do I tap into for the tail lights and brake lights..i have led rear lights..thanks....
What model do you have? It would help if you added that info to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. I'm assuming the wiring is the same on all models but don't know for sure.
I am also moving your thread to the 'Modified' forum.

Peter

I have a 2012 explorer xlt, 2wd, with backup camera and mytouch...I know the green wires are for the turn signals. but don't know which ones are for the brakes and tails.

I have a 2012 explorer xlt, 2wd, with backup camera and mytouch...I know the green wires are for the turn signals. but don't know which ones are for the brakes and tails.

Buy the plug and play harness from etrailer.com, etc. Don't splice wires on a modern vehicle.

which harness would I get..they have several..i don't need anything fancy...no power wire if possible

Trailer Wiring?

Hi,

I have a 2011 base model Ford Explorer and I put on a trailer hitch. However, I do not know how to connect the trailer wiring. I have a female end of a 12 pin connector in the passenger side rear wheel well. Is that where I need to connect an adapter? If so, where do I find one?

Thank you,

Lisa

Welcome to the Forum Ijoboko1117.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one on the same issue.
Good luck.

Peter

Back