Time for tires | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One my 3rd set of tires. Factory tires Optimos (great tires) lasted about 56,000 miles. Then went to Bridgestone Alenzas for about 57,000 miles. Just had the new Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season PLUS put on Monday at Tire Rack in Southbend, IN. $972.64 out the door. Will be getting a $60 rebate in the mail. Good for another +50,000 miles. At 113,000 miles total right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after 3K miles.... I must say.... the tires are holding up great, no road noise (well I have a K&N CAI and a Magnaflow Catback so maybe I cant hear the road noise LOL)
Grip is OK, and thread pattern seems to be working fine on wet contitions.
I would buy them again.

Good looking tire but the increase in size goes beyond the generally accepted diameter variance of 3% maximum. The difference would be 3.19%. It is recommended to stay within the 3% diameter variance of the original tire to prevent possible brake failure.

Peter

52,000 miles on the ex and time for tires. The original Hankooks have worn OK, but as everyone states the wet weather and snow traction was never good and gets much worse as they wear. Went back and forth between the Yokohamas Parada Spec X that appear to be a good tire and the new Bridgestone Alanza Plus tires. My biggest concern was treadware life on the Yokos since there are posts about them only lasting 35 - 40,000 miles. The Bridgestones have an 80,000 mile warranty and have a rebate at Costco now. My concern with the Bridgestones is lack of reviews on the tires since they are new, and hopefully they will ride OK. High mileage warranty seems to sometimes translate into hard compound and rough ride. Went with the Bridgestones for only about $50 more with the deal at Costco. Hope I made the right choice. Having installed this weekend

52,000 miles on the ex and time for tires. The original Hankooks have worn OK, but as everyone states the wet weather and snow traction was never good and gets much worse as they wear. Went back and forth between the Yokohamas Parada Spec X that appear to be a good tire and the new Bridgestone Alanza Plus tires. My biggest concern was treadware life on the Yokos since there are posts about them only lasting 35 - 40,000 miles. The Bridgestones have an 80,000 mile warranty and have a rebate at Costco now. My concern with the Bridgestones is lack of reviews on the tires since they are new, and hopefully they will ride OK. High mileage warranty seems to sometimes translate into hard compound and rough ride. Went with the Bridgestones for only about $50 more with the deal at Costco. Hope I made the right choice. Having installed this weekend

The Alanza's are great. Just replaced mine after +57,000 miles. Now running Pirelli Scorpion Verde PLUS. I thought the OE Hankooks were also a great tire. Got about 56,000 on those before going to the Alenza.

If you really want to extend your tire's wet traction and ice/snow performance over the life of the tread, look into safety siping the tires. Costs about $40 total. The added benefit is a slightly better/smoother ride.

Another Tire Thread Nokian WG3 SUV

Have had my 2011 since dec 2010. So far OK car. Hankook 255/50R20 are pretty worn out with 50k miles. Im looking at Nokian 265/50R20 WG3 SUV tires. Seems like only minimal differences. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Yaakmt.:wavey:
The tire size you are looking at will have 1.31% diameter variance, well with the accepted 3% range. That means that your speedo will read 1.29% faster than the OEM tires. Not sure why you want to go with a wider tire though. It will be heavier and create a little more wind and road resistance resulting in a very slight MPG decline. If you use them in Winter, they will also create more resistance in snow. Not sure what to think of the Nokian brand but I see that neither 1010tires or tirerack carry them.
Are you sure it isn't a WRG3 tire you are referring to? That is an 'All Weather' tire.
Nokian sales in North American represent their second smallest market at 7%. First is Russia at 34%.

I also merged your thread with this one.

Peter

Thank you. Im in NW Montana and looking for the best all weather tire. I have Nokian studded tires on two landcruisers which are awesome. Its the only close size they have.

Thanks!

my 2012 explorer has 63k on OEM hankook 426's looking for a good replacement with better winter handling i live in Massachsuetts and winter can be tough... thanks!

Best bet is to get a set of dedicated Winter tires. So called all seasons can't match them for traction or safety.

Peter

Seems like quite a good tire. I checked reviews on 1010tires and it rated 4.2 out of 5. Only snow 3.7 and treadwear 3.8 were not in the 4+ category.
I think I'm going to go with the Bridgestone DM-V1 for my Winters this time.

Peter

The change in size goes slightly beyond the 3% diameter variance (3.19%).

Peter

May have to go with the LTX MS in stock size.

Not sure how much of an effect that small 'overage' would really have. The message that always pops up seems to concern extra work for the braking system. I'm sure that there are people who have gone much more beyond that difference and I'm quite sure many are not even aware of that guideline. I think that you may be okay if there are no other issues. The AT2 seems to have a more aggressive tread if that is what you are after. I usually read the customer review on Tire Rack and 1010tires which I use more often as it is a Canadian site and bound to have more reviews relevant to out driving. I use a dedicated Winter tire so I don't usually have to consider the 'all around' performance of either set. Good luck.

Peter

Tire choices for my 13

How does the awd do in the snow with the oem tires?

Went with the Bridgestone Alenza Plus on my wife's Limited. 80,000 mile tread life warranty, much better wet traction ,and cornering stability than the Optimos. They should have better snow traction due to the more aggressive tread pattern. I realize the Sport is a little different animal than the limited, but this might give you a starting point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few threads on Tires and a separate one on Winter tires as well. They can be found using the Forums 'Search' program. I have merged yours with this existing one. You can also sites like www.tirerack.com/ or http://1010tires.com/

Peter

Back