Rear Camera - No Guidelines Show | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Camera - No Guidelines Show

The following is from the 2012 Owner's Guide;

Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle
while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a
parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do
the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline
options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.
• (1) Rear bumper
• (2) Red zone
• (3) Yellow zone
• (4) Green zone
• (5) Active guidelines (if
equipped)
Active guidelines (5) will only be shown with fixed guidelines (2), (3)
and (4).

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This solution does not work.

On my car (2012 Limited) there is no "rear view camera" option in any of the menus. I reset defaults and still nothing. The only option that has anything to do with the back-up camera is "rear assist". Again, no option for rear view camera.

Unless someone has another idea it's going to have to be taken in AGAIN for the rear view camera.

Can anyone else with a 2012 Limited confirm that they do NOT have the rearview camera setting as outlined in the 2012 Owner's Guide and copied and pasted in my post 37?

Peter

Can anyone else with a 2012 Limited confirm that they do NOT have the rearview camera setting as outlined in the 2012 Owner's Guide and copied and pasted in my post 37?

Peter

Well, I don't.

That's why I'm curious to see if there are others. According to the Owner's Guide you should have them. A faulty camera would not affect what you see in the screen as far as settings go.

Peter

Mike, just want to confirm that you are using the MFT screen and not the information display screen when looking to set up the guidelines?

My display shows 4 settings to chose from;

Ambient Lighting
Door Keypad
Rearview Camera
Valet Mode

Peter

Wasn't trying through the MFT at first but alas, it still does not work. There is something wrong with the system. When in R I also do not have the ability to zoom the camera view like I use to be able to. I guess I'll be calling the dealer again.

When in the camera settings I only have two options.

Enhanced park aids on or off (they were on)
Camera delay (was off now on)

I have pictures of my display but don't know how to post them.

Posted the pics here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883427#post24871304

Mike, with those settings, you should have the guidelines showing as well as the 3 zones. Since you have neither, I don't think there is anything you can do. It has to be checked out by the dealer.
It also wouldn't hurt to get Rebecca (FordIVTteam) involved. You can send her a private message using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=181992
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Mike, with those settings, you should have the guidelines showing as well as the 3 zones. Since you have neither, I don't think there is anything you can do. It has to be checked out by the dealer.
It also wouldn't hurt to get Rebecca (FordIVTteam) involved. You can send her a private message using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=181992
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

So I just talked to the dealer. They told me I would have to pay 100 bucks (my deductable) for them to look at it and or replace a component. Last time the backup camera didn't work they charged me 50.

Before I take it in should I try a fuse pull or battery disconnect? I don't want to get another receipt saying "performed master reset" with a 100 dollar bill attached. Considering this is the second time there has been an issue with the camera in a few months I should have to pay anything.

You can try both those but keep in mind that you will likely lose some of your settings and will probably have to re-pair the phone again. But at least you'll know whether or not it fixes the issue. I have my doubts but I'm far from being an expert on this.

Peter

Wanted to provide an update on this issue. Two weeks ago I pulled the battery cable and left it off for several hours in the hopes it would fix the issue but it didn't. I took the truck to the dealer on Monday for them to look at it.

The repair description (looks like it was written by my 10 year old) says they found codes DC1001 and B115 in the system. They cleared the codes but the problem was still there. They then connected the IDS module (assume this is a programmer) and configured the camera module. This fixed the issue for a few minutes but it came right back. They repeated this process in the parking lot vice the garage and it fixed the issue again. Test drive was ok as well as the check this morning before I came to pick it up.

I pick the truck up and verify they had fixed the issue before leaving the parking lot. It is not working again. The tech came out and said the module is losing memory for some reason. Back into the rental I go.

Is there a separate module for the backup camera line overlay or is it part of the MFT main computer? If it is an issue with the main computer I should not have to pay the deductible because this parts warrantee was extended by Ford due to MFT issues.

I'm not all that happy about their service at this point.

Backup Camera alignment marks missing

My wife told me the other day that instead of the rearview camera coming on the car kicked a statement that said something about an error and take the vehicle to ford service.

When I looked at it the camera worked but the lines showing the path the car would follow when turning and even the ones that just go straight back were missing.

Anyway I did a master reset today figuring that would clear the problem but it didn't so I guess I'll have to take it in to have it looked at.

I haven't had a problem since the last software update I was aware of so this is a new one on me. I still check in here most days but haven't seen this one. This a new one?

My wife told me the other day that instead of the rearview camera coming on the car kicked a statement that said something about an error and take the vehicle to ford service.

When I looked at it the camera worked but the lines showing the path the car would follow when turning and even the ones that just go straight back were missing.

Anyway I did a master reset today figuring that would clear the problem but it didn't so I guess I'll have to take it in to have it looked at.

I haven't had a problem since the last software update I was aware of so this is a new one on me. I still check in here most days but haven't seen this one. This a new one?

The settings for the camera might be wrong.. Go into Settings -> Vehicle -> Rear view camera ... turn off all the options, then turn back on the ones you want. (Active guides causes the guides to curve, they are only available if you have the active assist parking option though)

I had my EXPLORER lamp chrome plastic decal thing (where camera is connected) replaced and now the camera also does not show active lines or trajectory lines ! This appears to be something that dealers are not doing properly, very frustrating as I am a 30-45 minute drive from closest one. guess I will have to call them again and get them to fix

I've also had the same issue. About a month ago, the lines stopped showing up. Did the master battery reset. Pulled the fuse for Sync. Made sure all setting were on. Still nothing.

Every once and awhile the camera doesn't come on at all and I get an error saying to "see your dealer."

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT. Storm did some damage to the rear hatch. That was replaced at a body shop along with the rear camera. Now I don't have the rear camera guidelines showing on the screen. I checked the settings and they are set to ON to show guidelines. Any idea why this may be happening? Is it a software issue or does something need to be reset at the dealer? I tried searching in the forum. Thanks for any help.:usa:

My truck has been at the dealer for a week now with this same issue. Last Wed I went to pick it up after they repaired it but it didn't work when I did an OP check in the parking lot.

They had to contact Ford to figure out why it was not holding the memory after reporgraming. Ford says the body control module (BCM) is bad. New cars have BCM's that run a whole bunch of stuff including turing off the interior lights if you leave the door open. Part should be in Tues or Wed.

I was in the wife's Explorer last night when it acted up. This time it said "Camera unavailable Please contact your dealer"

No picture no nothing!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guessing here, but it's either a software issue since the system was able to recognize the camera wasn't working, or you need a new camera. If you do get a new camera, make sure that you test to see that the guidelines are there BEFORE leaving the dealer. There have been several instances where a replaced camera did not show the guidelines.

Peter

Back