Regular or Premium Gas | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Regular or Premium Gas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I previously thought it would not but now I know differant. 87 to 94 octane will improve performance. Like about .5 seconds in 0-60 times. I have a few posts in here on it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371282
There is no doubt that going from 87 to 94 octane will improve performance. After all, premium is the 'recommended' fuel for the Sport. 91 octane, in my opinion, is not premium gasoline. It is a mid range gas. I don't understand why someone would pay big bucks for a 'performance' engine and then run it on regular gas and be happy with subpar engine performance.:scratch:

Peter

So, youtube is such a wonderful source. This will basically sum up everything you really need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd33l8Gk2ZQ

Summary:
With the direct injection, fuel is being sprayed directly into the cylinders. It's more efficient and helps the engine run cooler. Thus, lower temperatures means that even with a lower octane rated fuel, the lower temperatures means that its less likely to auto ignite and cause knocking. Since the engine runs cooler, they then can raise the compression ratios higher so performance is improved, even if you're using a lower octane fuel.

The thing is though, this article does say this:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/09/octane-ratings

"On the face of it, then, a motorist would seem ill-advised to use regular petrol in a car with a high-compression engine. That was certainly the case in the past. But cars today have sensors that listen carefully for the knocking sound, and instantly retard the ignition system when they detect that detonation is about to happen.

The delay in delivering the retarded spark allows the piston to start moving downward on its expansion stroke before the ignition actually occurs. That provides additional room in the cylinder head for the gases to expand and thereby reduce their damaging peak pressure—and so burn in a more controlled manner.

To sum up, if the car’s handbook says that premium petrol is “recommended” (rather than insisting it is “required”), then the engine will automatically adjust itself to run smoothly on a lower octane fuel. Because of the retarded ignition, the engine will, of course, produce less power, and have slightly higher fuel consumption. But the poorer fuel economy is likely to be outweighed by the savings at the pump.

Even so, your correspondent remains reluctant to make the switch. One reason is that no one has been able to tell him what damage is done, if any, by running the engine permanently in a retarded state, and forcing the anti-knock system to remain active all the time."

About the fuel quality, the EPA requires all gasoline to contain detergent to prevent fuel problems. Shell advertises their their premium gas has nitrogen enriched bull crap, but it's not worth it because some argue that it really doesn't affect anything and it's just so you buy their premium gas. The only difference between gasoline with different octanes is the temperatures they can withstand before causing your engine to knock.

Your Ecoboost will run fine on regular. If you're not pulling hard accelerations and playing at the track, then regular will save you more money in the end. If you feel insecure about the quality of the fuel, just buy some fuel injector cleaners or something.

There is no doubt that going from 87 to 94 octane will improve performance. After all, premium is the 'recommended' fuel for the Sport. 91 octane, in my opinion, is not premium gasoline. It is a mid range gas. I don't understand why someone would pay big bucks for a 'performance' engine and then run it on regular gas and be happy with subpar engine performance.:scratch:

Peter

because unless you are doing timed runs at a track you probably won't know the difference. I have 1700 miles on my sport and have ran a few tanks of premium and regular and cannot tell the difference. Fuel mileage is the same and performance is the same.

Manual says 87 or higher.

My first fill up I put in 89.

because unless you are doing timed runs at a track you probably won't know the difference. I have 1700 miles on my sport and have ran a few tanks of premium and regular and cannot tell the difference. Fuel mileage is the same and performance is the same.
The Canadian website initially showed that premium fuel was recommended but that now seems to have been removed. I was able to browse the 2013 Owner's Guide online and it states that regular 87 octane fuel is recommended but premium can be used to improve performance for heavy duty use or towing.
Another member posted that he was not impressed with his Sports performance. Found it sluggish. When he followed a posted reply to use premium fuel, he came back and said something to the effect that he couldn't believe the difference. Of course it could also have been that the regular grade was a sub par 87 octane fuel.

Peter

Explorer 2013 what max octane can I use, does high octane damage my engine

Hi

I got explorer 2013 xlt 3.5L v6 normal engine (NON Eco-Boost)

In place where i live there is no regular 87 octane gas.

only 91, 93/94 octane . (Europe ROM 95,98).

i don't care about performance, all i need to know

can I use higher octane with my car such as 91,93 ( (R+M)/2 )

does it damage engine or coz knocking using premium gas with 93 octane ?

and does this engine has knocking sensor ?

Higher octane wont hurt your engine.

Yes you have knock sensors.

Knock is produced by engines that require higher octane and using lower octane, not the other way around.

Higher octane wont hurt your engine.

Yes you have knock sensors.

Knock is produced by engines that require higher octane and using lower octane, not the other way around.

thank you for the information,
does the normal 3.5l v6 engine on 2013 xlt which is not Eco-Boost engine provide better performance with higher octane such as (93 (R + M)/2 ) .

No it does not. The engine is tuned for 87 so anything higher will not produce any better performance unless you tune the engine for a higher octane.

It may give you a bit of a bump in mpg, but not worth the difference in price up from regular....

in fact page 214 of the owners manual (available with your vin here --> https://owner.ford.com) says:

Octane recommendations
3.5L V6 engine:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

2.0L/3.5L EcoBoost® engines:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
as trailer tow.

Any Benefit Running 89 Octane Fuel in 3.5 V6 Explorer ?

I was getting a light bit of pinging running 87 fuel for the last while, nothing crazy, just a small bit under initial throttle input. I've been running 87 octane for 120k kilometers on my 2012 V6 Explorer.

I put in a full tank of 89 octane a few days ago (we basically have 87,89, and 91 fuel choices), and thus far the pinging has not returned. It seems like my fuel economy is a bit better, but it may be too early to tell. Does anyone think there are benefits to running a higher octane in these vehicles ?. I've got a long road trip coming up soon through the southern US and I don't mind going up to 89 octane if there are benefits to running it - hot summer conditions with A/C operation and a fully loaded truck through some mountainous terrain.

I disconnected my battery to clean the battery posts as part of my pre-trip maintenance, so the ecm may have been re-set, not sure if that is good or bad but I just wanted to throw that into the post. Thanks for any replies and thanks for reading.

The higher the octane number the greater resistance to predetonation (pinging). That's it! No real benefit unless you are driving a sports car or anything that requires high octane gas!

The higher the octane number the greater resistance to predetonation (pinging). That's it! No real benefit unless you are driving a sports car or anything that requires high octane gas!

Thanks for the reply, so the ecm won't advance timing to benefit from higher octane ?.

Light pinging at low rpm and low throttle input is usually harmless, if there isn't any benefit from 2 points of octane I may just go back to 87.

Although the HP and torque numbers for the 3.5L Ecoboost were achieved using 93 octane gasoline, the recommended gas is 87 octane. Stay with the 87 and save your money.

Peter

All modern engines have sensors that detect octane level and will adjust engine parameters accordingly.

All modern engines have sensors that detect octane level and will adjust engine parameters accordingly.

Thanks for the added replies Peter and Doc.

I tried the 89 octane as I was wondering if my engine had retarded ignition timing over the last while due to light pinging I was experiencing, hence the experiment. The pinging seems to have disappeared for now.

Over the next two weeks I'll be doing 12 hour stints of steady state highway driving, I should be able to detect any changes in fuel economy. I may try a couple tanks for 89 and then ease back into 87 octane and see if there is any noticeable differences.

I'm in Eastern Canada, and I'm pretty sure both the 87 and 89 octane have Ethanol added where the 91 does not.

With Costco selling 91 for what most places want for 87 I use exclusively 91. I do find I get a bit better mileage on the 91 (at least enough to pay for the difference) as well due to the lack of the fuel economy sucking (up to) 10% ethanol blending.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Petro Canada gasoline and all its gas, even Ultra 94 has up 10% ethanol.
The Federal Government has regulated that motor gasoline sold in Canada after Sept. 1, 2010 must contain an annual pool average of 5% ethanol. Different provincial mandates also exist, some with higher ethanol pool requirements.
So the 91 octane gas you are using does have ethanol in it.

Peter

Back