• Register Today It's free!

will a 15 inch rim fit a st?

TwoX

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac xlt
i ordered my body lift yesterday, and i went to order my tires today and the guy on the phone told me that the rims i wanted the 15X10 rims would not fit my st, that it wouldnt fit the caliper. any one else have a 15X 10 inch rim on there st and does it fit? i know we tryed a stock 15 inch rim off a ranger on my truck and it worked. well just did a search and i see that john rock has 15X10 on his st. How do they fit? do you have any problems with them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i ordered my body lift yesterday, and i went to order my tires today and the guy on the phone told me that the rims i wanted the 15X10 rims would not fit my st, that it wouldnt fit the caliper. any one else have a 15X 10 inch rim on there st and does it fit? i know we tryed a stock 15 inch rim off a ranger on my truck and it worked. well just did a search and i see that john rock has 15X10 on his st. How do they fit? do you have any problems with them?
I have American Racing 767 wheels 15x10. I think I might have 1/4" clearance between the calipers and wheels. It's close but it works. I have a 2nd set of 15x10 and they work too. I just don't know the manufacturer and model.

Many folks have 15" wheels on their STs. I'm planning on putting 15x8 on mine.

The best thing to do is to go to the shop you will be buying from and test fit the wheels and tires before you buy them.

If you are buying things online, then you need to con a shop into allowing you to test fit them. Oh, just play Russian roulette.

test fit with new or old brakepads?
the caliper will stick out more in one of these configurations, and that's where you may get interference.

test fit with new or old brakepads?
the caliper will stick out more in one of these configurations, and that's where you may get interference.
Huh? The brake pads are within the caliper and the caliper never changes position.

IMG_0849_small.jpg

I also ran 15x8's on my 05 Sport Trac with no problems.
It's all about the backside of the wheel. It is absolutely best to find a shop who will let you test fit.

Huh? The brake pads are within the caliper and the caliper never changes position.

IMG_0849_small.jpg

The disc brake caliper: is a pin slider, dual piston type.<<taken from service manual

the caliper will slide on the 2 mounting pins as the pads wear, maybe take some worn pads and measure location of the caliper to some reference point, then put some new pads on and take the same measurement. If the caliper never moves, there's no need for sliding pins. Stupid engineers huh, you should tell them how to design brakes properly.

they move laterally not up and down is what he was stating

they move laterally not up and down is what he was stating
Yep, I wasn't thinking about the little bit of lateral movement that the caliper does. It is possible for that to be a factor. It all depends on the design of the wheel.
I did once have a pair of Explorer 15" spare tires/wheels from the regular 4-door 2nd Gen and they would not fit on the front of my Sport Trac. But, I still have yet to see one Sport Trac owner get some big 15" wheels that didn't fit.

15's didnt fit

i ordered some 15x8 rock crawlers off the internet and the shop tried to put them on and they didnt clear the calipers had to use a spacer. that sucked.

I know there are many folks that have 15s on their tracs but after doing some research I have decided to go with 16s myself just to be safe. All the docs I have found online say 16" minimum for 01-05 4x4 tracs.

the spacers werent that big of a deal just a 5/32'' spacer they got from the autozone around the corner. you cant even tell. they just cost $50.00 thats why it sucked

I had bad experiences with those types of spacers when I was a teen. (wheels flying off while driving). Did they use longer studs?

no just torqued them to 125lbs and i have checked them every few days and they have been fine.

good cause wheels flying off at highway speeds sucks.

Pardon me for bringing back this ancient thread, but im in the same situation. I have American racing offroad wheels 15" and they dont clear my 3rd gen hub assembly. the inner rim of the wheel barely rubs on some hardware (sorry i dont know names). Looks like a quarter inch spacer (maybe less) will get the wheels to clear.

What do u guys think? did the regular spacers work, and problems? I cant afford hubcentric spacers so i figured local Kragen/auto zone spacers would suffice. I also dont want too big of spacers cause these wheels ofset is already crazy and the tires stick out a crapload

i still have those autozone spacers on my trac with my 15's after 1 1/2 years with no problems i still check them with my torque wrench every month or so and they are fine every time.

Don't clear front or back? Some of the '01-'02 models came with 15" wheels (Ranger wheels) but they had rear drum brakes. I have 15" Crown Vic wheels on my '01 parts truck as rollers and they are dangerously close to the calipers. IMO 1/2" spacers on the front shouldn't cause big issues, 1"-1 1/2" on the rear shouldn't either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will 15 inch ranger wheels fit an 04 explorer xlt?

Back