• Register Today It's free!

MFT "Spell Name" Command

Mikepaul

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
When using the spell name command for navigation, the results don't reflect the spelling that you say.

As an example, we were trying to find Corman Park in a nearby city. When MFT said to begin spelling I said C-O-R-M to get it started. The results on the screen were:

1. PERFORMANCE PLUS DISTRIBUTORS

2. CORMAN PARK...(4)

3. CARMEN'S DRESS SHOP AND ALTERATIONS

4. CORNER NOOK CONFECTIONERY

5. GROOMMETTI'S HAIR STUDIO

When saying C-O-R-M why does it come back with PERF, CARM CORN and GROO as the first 4 letters?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like it's trying to do predictive spelling

Just be glad it didn't offer P-O-R-N...

Sorry!! It was funny to me, anyway.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Next time I'll try letter by letter and see what the results are.

When using the spell name command for navigation, the results don't reflect the spelling that you say.

As an example, we were trying to find Corman Park in a nearby city. When MFT said to begin spelling I said C-O-R-M to get it started. The results on the screen were:

1. PERFORMANCE PLUS DISTRIBUTORS

2. CORMAN PARK...(4)

3. CARMEN'S DRESS SHOP AND ALTERATIONS

4. CORNER NOOK CONFECTIONERY

5. GROOMMETTI'S HAIR STUDIO

When saying C-O-R-M why does it come back with PERF, CARM CORN and GROO as the first 4 letters?

Anyone else experiencing this?

It's on purpose. Each of these results has "C-O-R-M" or something very similar in it.

1. PerFORMance Plus Distributors
2. CORMan Park
3. CARMen's Dress Shop ....
4. CORNer nook confectionery

as you can see the first four are only one letter off the C-O-R-M that you entered. The Groommetti's is a bit more difficult, but it does have a G instead of a C and it does have an O and an R and an M.

Honestly, it may not seem very smart on first glance, but it really is. For example, if you didn't know the exact spelling, if you got pretty close, it would probably find it.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense. Too bad MFT doesn't have a setting for "actual spelling" and "predictive spelling" that could be selected, depending on the owners preference.

Back