Fuel Door Assembly Removal / Broken Spring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Door Assembly Removal / Broken Spring

AJ4VS

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
My 2013 fuel door didn't open as expected. I had to pry the door open. When I opened it, the rubber "spring" mechanism fell out. I can see the plastic "spring" underneath somehow severed from the main housing behind the door. Has anyone replaced one of these? I am not yet sure if I could fix just this part or is it more involved. Any advise or experience appreciated?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your vehicle is still under warranty, don't mess with it and take it to the dealer to get repaired. Haven't read any posts with this issue before.

Peter

Unfortunately not under factory warranty. I have an extended warranty with a $50 deductible, so I was hoping to diy to save the money. Thanks anyhow.

Hello,

The spring broke for the fuel door of my 2011 Explorer. Can anyone help me with how to remove this assembly so I can replace the spring? I have failed in my search on how to do this. Maybe i'm not using the correct keywords?? Any help would be much appreciated.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

I found this thread and moved yours to it but it doesn't appear that anyone has replaced this spring or at least posted a 'How To' on it. Good luck.

Peter

FORD PART BB5Z-7827936-A FUEL POCKET HOUSING
I figured it out after I got my replacement part for a great deal on Ebay! All I needed was a wide blade screwdriver to release the 4 locking tabs on the back of the housing. There is also a locking tab behind the sticker to remove the painted door so you can move it from the old housing to the new housing.

Old Housing with broken spring.
F726238E-B462-4699-84DF-178600476812.jpg

The wheel and liner need to be removed to access the housing.
09EC0CA7-8820-4CB7-87F4-270B6645078A.jpg

4 locking tab points.
5AC6179B-1A4A-4DD9-930F-068DE07F401D.jpg

DBB32602-6F2D-41F7-A8F7-E480BF4DF01C.jpg

3882D8BC-4E4D-4713-A823-276AF25B9253.jpg

Housing removed
7CAB347E-6E67-437A-844F-4DD53602FBF8.jpg

New housing installed
90CB5034-4429-44EF-AC30-D9D826301764.jpg

Existing door cover on new housing
68244157-DC11-4AEC-B420-22DCF0D31528.jpg

Would anyone have detailed instructions on how to remove the fuel door on a 2017 Explorer or a link. Evidently the spring has come off or broken. Thank you

Would anyone have detailed instructions on how to remove the fuel door on a 2017 Explorer or a link. Evidently the spring has come off or broken. Thank you
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
Not that it matters, but do you have a 2016 or 2017 Limited. Your post mentions a 2017 but your profile shows a 2016.

Peter

FORD PART BB5Z-7827936-A FUEL POCKET HOUSING
I figured it out after I got my replacement part for a great deal on Ebay! All I needed was a wide blade screwdriver to release the 4 locking tabs on the back of the housing. There is also a locking tab behind the sticker to remove the painted door so you can move it from the old housing to the new housing.

Old Housing with broken spring.
View attachment 313680

The wheel and liner need to be removed to access the housing.
View attachment 313681
4 locking tab points.
View attachment 313682

View attachment 313683

View attachment 313684
Housing removed
View attachment 313685
New housing installed
View attachment 313686
Existing door cover on new housing
View attachment 313687

I used this part number (FORD PART BB5Z-7827936-A FUEL POCKET HOUSING) to order the part from Tasca Ford in MA, and installed it tonight on my 2018 XLT. Replacement was fairly easy and straight forward. Thanks for the information. The problem I found with my original part was that the plastic pin which holds one side of the metal spring had popped up. It appears I could have possibly removed the part, pushed that pin back into place, and reinstalled the original part. I can only imagine if it failed once, it's only a matter of time before it would happen again. If I have future problems with the new part, I'll remove it for inspection first before ordering a new part.
When I looked at removing the housing I could see one of the four clips from under the car, but I couldn't get a good angle to try and push against the bottom two clips to release them. Since I was able to see the whole assembly and watched several video, I felt comfortable using a chisel to carefully break away the plastic around where the two lower clips attach to the housing. Once those two clips had been removed from the housing by breaking them away, I was able to remove the housing. This method allowed me to not have to remove the rear wheel or wheel well cover, even though it appears I could have fairly easily.

I just wasted a night trying to actually get this out (took the whole wheel well apart and still had to break the clips to get the door assembly out). Trust me it is not worth your time. Drilling the clips from the outside then just sacrificing the door is the only reasonable way to make this fix. Just pay the $35-55 to buy a new assembly and save yourself hours of possible frustration and or broken mounting clips for wheel well. If you like wasting time, having a couple beers and need to play hero making it take way longer so your wife appreciates you more by all means try to save the assembly (which you will likely break the clips anyway and have to drill out the rivet for the wheel liner). If you enjoy spending time with your wife and kids and just want to fix it for $35-55 instead, watch this guys video (which I didn't find until the next day), drill out the clips, replace, and go play catch.

Back