04 Explorer rpm fluctuating while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer rpm fluctuating while driving

jbizub5192

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer NBX 4.0L
Hi everyone, My explorer has been acting up lately. While driving the rpm will fluctuate between 2000 and 2600. It will only do this when there is a load on it like going up a hill. When it is in overdrive it will not do this. It seems like a fuel related issue not transmission because the trans does not feel to be slipping. When the rpm surge you can feel the vehicle pull. It is a 4.0L with 250K with 2 trans rebuilds. Thanks for the help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vacuum leak?

Hmm didnt think about that. What would cause it to only do it under load? thanks

well it sounds like the torque converter might be locking/unlocking. This would cause a surge in rpm's and also you have more power at 2,600 rather than 2,000 so it would pull more when unlocked...

Would the converter even be locking? Im not even in over drive when this happens? I thought it only locks when it is in overdrive? My idle is also a little rough and not the smoothest. Nothing drastic though.

Does the torque converter lock only in overdrive?

Well this is ford, not the brightest bunch of engineers it seems... But on a GM the torque converter locks on 2nd gear and up. No locking in 1st gear...

My friends F150 follows the same principle. But thats an F150, not an Explorer...

These transmissions would cook them selves if the torque converters did not lock, that is the main source of heat in a transmission, an unlocked torque converter...

How can i diagnose if the torque converter keeps unlocking? I also ready one of my codes when the overdrive light was blinking and it said p0775 pressure control solenoid b.

Hi everyone, My explorer has been acting up lately. While driving the rpm will fluctuate between 2000 and 2600. It will only do this when there is a load on it like going up a hill. When it is in overdrive it will not do this. It seems like a fuel related issue not transmission because the trans does not feel to be slipping. When the rpm surge you can feel the vehicle pull. It is a 4.0L with 250K with 2 trans rebuilds. Thanks for the help!!

My 04 did the same thing. It turned out to be a $300 solenoid pack. I had the check engine light come on with a code that verified it. It was the same exact description if you look up on some of my previous posts you might find my cry for help on here describing it.

How can i diagnose if the torque converter keeps unlocking? I also ready one of my codes when the overdrive light was blinking and it said p0775 pressure control solenoid b.

Solenoid pack!!! Easy fix pan comes off and it's right there.

Awesome!!!!! By any chance would you have the link to your postings and where you got the solenoid pack? Thanks!!!! You made my day! I was thinking major trans problems(still is also a chance but doesn't sound like it)

Awesome!!!!! By any chance would you have the link to your postings and where you got the solenoid pack? Thanks!!!! You made my day! I was thinking major trans problems(still is also a chance but doesn't sound like it)

Look up tranny issue in my 04 in the search options it's in there.

Back