Heater hose.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater hose..

Reaction score
City, State
Tuscola, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' Explorer
I was driving to work last night and had a heater hose pop out of a t fitting.. The hose with the red arrow pointing to it popped out and pissed all the coolant out.. I was able to push the hose back in and re-fill the coolant system and water and made to where I was going. It is now leaking and I suspect this is where the coolant smell I was getting came from. Does anyone know where I can find this hose assembly or maybe someone has found a way to put a new t that I can use hose clamps on instead of just a hose glued into a piece of plastic? I have looked on a few part sites and cant seem to find it. It is a 2004 4.0. This hose and fitting are on the passenger side.

Thanks for any help guys!

CJhFksd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the fix work? I called the dealer and he suggested the entire hose assembly is $229 plus. Ebay has it for $170, p/n 3L2Z18C553EA. I prefer not to spend that much but figured I post the p/n if it helps someone.

Did the fix work? I called the dealer and he suggested the entire hose assembly is $229 plus. Ebay has it for $170, p/n 3L2Z18C553EA. I prefer not to spend that much but figured I post the p/n if it helps someone.

It should work. Other option is junk yard. I walked past two of those hoses the other day in explorers where people had picked the engines.

Thank you. I can't seem to find these anywhere but online. Found one at Home Depot made of brass...should do the trick so I'll buy it tomorrow along with a long hose that I can cut and fit to replace as much of this run as possible, the existing hoses leading up to this tee are probably next to go so might as well do them once. I assume I'll have to drain the coolant first, need to go searching for that on the forum.

Thank you. I can't seem to find these anywhere but online. Found one at Home Depot made of brass...should do the trick so I'll buy it tomorrow along with a long hose that I can cut and fit to replace as much of this run as possible, the existing hoses leading up to this tee are probably next to go so might as well do them once. I assume I'll have to drain the coolant first, need to go searching for that on the forum.

If the hose feels supple I'd just cut the tee out and put in the metal tee with hose clamps. Heater hose is made of good epdm these days and usually lasts over a decade easily. Those cheap ABS tees are junk, though, as you found out.

Cross6, are you sure that's a 5/8 hose? I am assuming it's internal diameter and just double checking. I tried to figure it out but it's hard to measure without removing anything. I tried to remove a similar hose from the thermostat housing to measure it and it's stuck so I decided not to create more problems by forcing anything. Else I'll just buy everything 5/8 and 3/4 and return it later.

Having the same issue. I'm going to try a 5/8" T fitting and some hose clamps to see if it will work. I was hesitant at first since ripping the hoses out of the current plastic fitting can't be undone, but looks like this is the fix.

plumbing store can be ya best friend......replaced mine with stainless "T".....

Having the same issue. I'm going to try a 5/8" T fitting and some hose clamps to see if it will work. I was hesitant at first since ripping the hoses out of the current plastic fitting can't be undone, but looks like this is the fix.

This fix worked. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with a 3/4" T fitting. The stock hoses got expanded over the years and 5/8" felt a bit loose. Had to tighten down the clamps a lot. No leaks so far.

Back