cigarette lighter socket, how long does it take for the power to go off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cigarette lighter socket, how long does it take for the power to go off?

honestz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I am having a dash cam which starting recording when the cigarette lighter socket in the center console has power, and it supposes to stop recording after the power discounts.

my question is, how long does it take for the car to cut off the power to the cigarette lighter socket after you shut down the engine and lock the car?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kind of a ford thing to keep cigerate lighters hot 24/7
Why not hook a switch up to it?

Doing the same thing. Does anyone know whether it's possible to make it so at least one of the lighter sockets shut down when the ignition is off?

A friend of mine has a 2013 Explorer had the same question. He event went to the dealer and was told there is no way including programming to kill the power. I am looking at one of the small circuit boards that you can buy that will kill power to the load after a set time for my 2015 Explorer.

Lots of options from $29 to much higher depending on what you want. Here is an example of one. http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/adjustable-delay-timer-relay-delay-on-or-off-12v-10a.html

Doing the same thing. Does anyone know whether it's possible to make it so at least one of the lighter sockets shut down when the ignition is off?

Why would you want them not to be hot all the time? My Nissan goes cold when the ignition switch is turned off, and this is the most annoying thing to me. I have fought with Nissan on a way to keep at least one of them hot all the time. No dice. I can wire one up directly on the Nissan, but it's a real hassle to get to the connections.

You can make one power off if you have some basic wiring skills. Put a relay in under the console that is fed by one of the ignition switched power lines, and put the socket on the other side of the relay. It's very similar to how you would wire a set of driving/fog lights except the switching comes from the ignition switched line instead of a mechanical switch.

We hard wired the cams into the rear view mirror. Only our F250 that we chose not to, therefore we manually plug it in when driving- this vehicle is temporary.

Are you able to hard wire your cam in?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have basic wiring skills but I always get anxious when it comes to car electrical.
AZmom, did you follow any guide that you could share to hook it up to the rear view mirror, it's where I'm going to place the camera and if it switches off with ignition, that could be the solution for me, provided it's not too complicated.

I am having a dash cam which starting recording when the cigarette lighter socket in the center console has power, and it supposes to stop recording after the power discounts.

my question is, how long does it take for the car to cut off the power to the cigarette lighter socket after you shut down the engine and lock the car?

thanks

Just curious what brand cam are you running?

I just installed a Blackbox G1W-C dash cam. 1080p capacitor version so its not affected by heat. About $75 shipped. Amazing video night and day. I did have to mod the 12vdc lighter outlet to a switched outlet. Took about an hour to pull the console out, t-tap into a switched wire off the JBL head unit and re-install everything. I am not a smoker so a switched cig lighter was not an issue.
Chef Duane

I have a dash cam plugged into the centre console. runs 24/7.
i've gone 2 days without driving the car and the truck started just fine.

We hard wired the cams into the rear view mirror. Only our F250 that we chose not to, therefore we manually plug it in when driving- this vehicle is temporary.

Are you able to hard wire your cam in?

Can you tell me what wires you wiretapped in on the Explorer?

I have a dash cam plugged into the centre console. runs 24/7.
i've gone 2 days without driving the car and the truck started just fine.

Glad to hear this :)
A bit less worried about draining the battery.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have basic wiring skills but I always get anxious when it comes to car electrical.
AZmom, did you follow any guide that you could share to hook it up to the rear view mirror, it's where I'm going to place the camera and if it switches off with ignition, that could be the solution for me, provided it's not too complicated.

We wired the cam into the control panel for the sunroof-that is where we wired the cam to-so its powered when the vehicle is on. We didn't want it to run all the time since the cam is set up to over-write itself after so many hours. (cant remember). So our F150 and the Explorer are wired through the control panel for the sunroof's/moonroofs. For the Mustang convertible- it is wired to the controller for the convertible top. I will admit-the F150 was first and no issues. We set up the Explorer, no issues. The Mustang was goofy and somehow it was wired to my parking lights. :eek: So, the Mustang was the most difficult but it was also the weekend toy- 3 tries and its working now...

Our F250, being a temporary truck till December, is set up for me to manually plug into the cigarette lighter- which is a pain to remember but for 4 months it is fine.

Have you already wired your cam? I can pull my panel apart for photos if you need them....

We wired the cam into the control panel for the sunroof-that is where we wired the cam to-so its powered when the vehicle is on. We didn't want it to run all the time since the cam is set up to over-write itself after so many hours. (cant remember). So our F150 and the Explorer are wired through the control panel for the sunroof's/moonroofs. For the Mustang convertible- it is wired to the controller for the convertible top. I will admit-the F150 was first and no issues. We set up the Explorer, no issues. The Mustang was goofy and somehow it was wired to my parking lights. :eek: So, the Mustang was the most difficult but it was also the weekend toy- 3 tries and its working now...

Our F250, being a temporary truck till December, is set up for me to manually plug into the cigarette lighter- which is a pain to remember but for 4 months it is fine.

Have you already wired your cam? I can pull my panel apart for photos if you need them....

No I haven't wired my cam yet but I would really really appreciate it if you could take pics of your Explorer installation (especially the connections you made) and post here. The cam I have does the same thing, as soon as it gets power it records and overwrites when required.

Back