Battery Life | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Life

Why do some batteries have insulation wrapped around them and some don't? My LTD doesn't have one and I've seen in different threads pics of engine compartments and the battery had the wrap. What is the rationale for some with and some without?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to new vehicles that are on dealer's lots/showrooms?
Way back, I believe in the late 50's or early 60's we had a type of insulating 'wrap' on the battery which actually was a 'battery warmer'. It was like an electric blanket. I believe it used a very small amount of current from the battery to keep it warm. Worked very well from what I can remember.

Peter

Are you referring to new vehicles that are on dealer's lots/showrooms?
Way back, I believe in the late 50's or early 60's we had a type of insulating 'wrap' on the battery which actually was a 'battery warmer'. It was like an electric blanket. I believe it used a very small amount of current from the battery to keep it warm. Worked very well from what I can remember.

Peter

Peter- I'm referring to the 5th Gen Explorers, some of the pics the battery had a black wrap around the sides and others as well as my '13 LTD don't. Did your LTD or your MKZ have one wrapped around the sides?

Thanks-tinner

Peter- I'm referring to the 5th Gen Explorers, some of the pics the battery had a black wrap around the sides and others as well as my '13 LTD don't. Did your LTD or your MKZ have one wrapped around the sides?

Thanks-tinner
No, neither had a 'wrap'. I reason I inquired as to whether the Explorers were unsold ones was because if not, the owners could have added the wrap for some reason if they were sold units. If they were brand new, then I have no explanation as to why. Perhaps all the Explorers are shipped this way and the wraps are removed by the dealer when preparing them for sale.:dunno:

Peter

No, neither had a 'wrap'. I reason I inquired as to whether the Explorers were unsold ones was because if not, the owners could have added the wrap for some reason if they were sold units. If they were brand new, then I have no explanation as to why. Perhaps all the Explorers are shipped this way and the wraps are removed by the dealer when preparing them for sale.:dunno:

Peter

Didn't know if the ones that were wrapped had the Ecoboost with a heat source near the battery, but that theory is shot down because yours doesn't have one.

I ordered mine and that wasn't an option for the battery, oh well.

I replaced our battery today right at 3 yrs old, 52K (out of warranty). Now it is telling me to check the brakes and ESC light is on. All was fine before the battery swap and the installation. Any suggestions how to reset?

You could try disconnecting the negative battery cable and letting it sit that way for a while, then reconnect and see if that helps. I'm not sure if a Master Reset would help with this but you could try that as well.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I will try that. When the battery was low this morning, it did some crazy things wouldn't turn off, kept shutting down and coming back on even when I was out of the car, etc.... coworker came in and told me my lights were flickering and such as well. I am just hoping it didn't stress the electrical system!!!

My motorcraft in my 11' f150 died in 18 months.

Just had my battery replaced today - $135.00. This is the 3rd battery the car has had. I had my last one replaced just over a year and a half ago.

I'm just outside of my factory warranty. (38k miles)

My dealer said that even though the battery was only a year and a half old it was replaced using the factory bumper-to-bumper and so there was no separate warranty on it and I had to pay full cost. I also have premium care, but that doesn't cover batteries.

The new one (I guess) has a decent warranty, so at least if this one fails it'll be replaced free.

I guess I'm none to pleased with having to fork over money so soon outside of warranty for something that has now been replaced for the third time on a vehicle with less than 40k miles.

Hmmm..... Hope to get a little better battery life than I'm hearing.

I know this is probably a freak of nature, but I just replaced the battery in my Saab after 6 years of it working great. It was replaced near the end of the factory warranty 6 years ago with a Saab branded AC Delco, so the original battery got almost 3 years. Figured I would just used the same type of AC Delco again and hope for the same, though I'd be happy with 4 years. $145.

My 2009 Escape on the second battery going into its third year. Hardly gets any miles as a summer vehicle up in Nantucket, but the negative cable is disconnected for 7 months over the winter up at the summer house and starts just fine each spring.

I have a 2000 F150 and do not drive it very much. I was constantly having battery issues due to electronics in the truck draining during lengthy parking. I ended up getting a "Battery Tender" Not a trickle charger. This will bring the battery to full charge then switch to a monitor/tender mode. Since I installed the tender I have not had an issue in over 2 1/2 years. My brother has the same tenders on his motor cycle and SeaDoo. Again no issues. These "tenders" do not boil the batteries down over time like trickle chargers.

JMHO

Willy in Cali

It has to be all the electronic features on these newer vehicles that puts a constant drain on the battery. I'm having the same issue with the MKT as I had with the 2011 Ex Ltd. I had not driven for 5 days and after my first stop the low battery warning came up on the MFT. Brought it back up to full charge after about 8 hours on the charger. Got to get out more.:D

Peter

2014 Sport, 4100 miles, battery replaced under warranty.

Post 23 states battery replaced <2 months. I thought someone in another thread said they replaced theirs after 3 weeks.

Peter

Generally I replace my battery BEFORE it fails, usually between 3 & 4 years, depending on the time of year. If it's 3 years old and heading into winter, I'll replace it. If it's Spring or Summer, I might push 4 years. But I'll never go longer than 4 in any case. Just like I won't run tires below 4/32". I usually replace them around 5/32".

The battery in my 1981, 510 Datsun wagon lasted 9 years. From the day I bought it to the day that it was hauled away to the recyclers.

Peter

I've been told by some local mechanics that the average battery life for vehicles in the GHA (Greater Houston Area) is less than 36 months. The extreme heat/humidity combination in the summer & the wet winters takes its toll on batteries around here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 XLT 72,000 miles with the original battery (this battery even ran my sump pump for 10 hours without being recharged during Sandy....put it back in the X & it fired right up!)

Traded my 2002 F250 V10 (on my 2011 F150) in 2011 & it still had the original Motorcraft battery

The 2011 F150 still has the original battery

Couldn't get any other brand (AC Delco, Die Hard, etc.) to last like a Motorcraft!

Back