Growling, grinding noise from front end | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Growling, grinding noise from front end

bump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 Explorer XLS 6cyl.

At about 110,000, I started having what I thought was tire noise. It was a whomp-whomp-whomp which got louder around 60mph but reduced at 70mph. The sound would speed up with speed of the car. It got progressively worse til I had it checked out when I replaced my front brakes. They told me front wheel bearing assemblies needed replacement...cost about 600-800. I said thanks, I'd think about it. Looked up online and found parts were about $70 per bearing and instructions on how to replace them. I am not a mechanic but am halfway handy and had no trouble with the job using had tools--need torq wrench, except for some trouble with rusted on bolts.

My Dad has a 2002 Explorer Limited V8.

He had noise when he took slow turns. Sounded like front tire was rubbing against the inside of the wheel well. We could not figure it out. Finally, saw a post on internet that said this was a rear differential problem. Strange cause it sounded like it was coming from front. We took in in and they fixed it-- unsure of cost-- and the sound disappeared.

Dads front bearings went out about 75,000. I had already done mine, so I volunteered. The hubs we ordered for him, I think were a little better quality that the ones I used on mine, but they were about same price or a little less. Having done it before, the second time it took less than half the time, plus his bolts were not rusted.

I would heartily recommend using the dealer for diagnosis only, and ordering parts and doing it yourself if at all possible.

Same Vibration / Growling on my 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 with 120k on the clock. It has been going on for more then a year now and it has progressively gotten worse. It feels like it's in the front end on the left. The sound / vibration diminishes when I let up on the gas and let the truck coast at speed.

So far I’ve replaced the tires, front brakes (rotors & pads) and a all 4 shocks. I haven't replaced the 5th, Axle Damper, shock yet but I really doubt that's it. Next I'm getting ready to replace the CV axles with new Cardone axles, front hubs with a pair of Timken SP450200‘s and new Tie Rod ends. While under there I will inspect the upper and lower ball joints and pray a little too. After this is done I'll get an alinement and see what happens!

Tony. you might want to look at your front driveshaft and see if the CV is shot. With an AWD it's always cheapest to remove the front shaft and take it for a ride. It can narrow the problem down a lot.

Thanks jremington59 I will check it out!

My 1997 Explorer Sport 4wd also had this grinding ,crunching sound that went faster with the tire rotation. I took it to the local ford dealer and the head mechanic drove it and told me to replace the front cv axle on the drivers side, I bought one on e-bay for 40 dollars and put it on...still the same sound. I then looked at the front drive shaft and intended to replace the universal joints, it seemed to have a little play in them ,but not much..as I started removing the bolts, one of them was finger loose so I tightened it up and went to the back where it goes into the transfer case..they were all finger loose !! Tightened them all up and no noise !!!

If you have an AWD Explorer, remove your front drive shaft and see if the noise stops. I've had this problem twice in two years. High speed driving or towing seems to kill the CV joint on the drive shaft.

Me Too

OK, I too have a rotation worble. I have a 4x2. Going to swap tires this week and see is this fixes the problem. Will leave feedback on swap.

OK, bought new tires this week and ALL noise went away. Looks like it was tread separation. not real noticeable, but could see it on the balance machine.

My 2000 Explorer AWD had the same symptoms as Surfcops. I had a loud growl coming from what seemed to be the front driver's side. It was present when I was driving straight or turning left. When I turned right the growl would go away and immediately return after straightening out. I rotated the tires from the front to back to see if that would help. Nothing changed. I then replaced the front drivers side hub/wheel bearing assembly and the growl has disappeared.

1994 Ford Explorer 4x4

Hey guys, Im having the same problem with my car aswell, its a 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 5 Speed

It has new 4x4 hubs, all the U joints are brand new, new break pads, new rotors, all new ball joints, fresh allignment and im at my wits end, anyone have any idea where this growling noise is coming from because it starts when i take off turning left or right and also when i back up turning left or right

Please help

I found front end noise in my 95 looks like th bearing in the passenger side of the front diff is shot. Can I replace this without taking the diff apart?

Yup, Inner Bearings

Just an update to confirm it is the inner bearings. I have had the same issue. Replaced everything, and I mean everything in the front end. Wheel assemblies, cv axles (both sides), upper and lower ball joints. Another showed up at the shop my neighbor works in. Same complaint. They tore it all apart and found the inner bearings went bad. Tore mine apart and voila', bad inner bearings. Sigh. Hope this saves someone some money. Can be a very expensive and very frustrating issue.

Just an update to confirm it is the inner bearings. I have had the same issue. Replaced everything, and I mean everything in the front end. Wheel assemblies, cv axles (both sides), upper and lower ball joints. Another showed up at the shop my neighbor works in. Same complaint. They tore it all apart and found the inner bearings went bad. Tore mine apart and voila', bad inner bearings. Sigh. Hope this saves someone some money. Can be a very expensive and very frustrating issue.

Any idea what the repair cost was on those? My Ex is teaching me to become a driveway mechanic, but this might be over my head.

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I was sure it was my passenger front bearing going out, so when I replaced the hub assembly and still had the problem, I figured I was up a time and money consuming creek. I did the front drivers side hub assembly, and no more noise (for now anyway). I really wasn't sure the drivers side would help, but for $75 and a couple of hours, I was willing to try.

Good luck and thanks again to this forum. It has saved me thousands of dollars in repairs to my explorer and mountaineer.

We have a 2001 Sport Trac, 4WD, and it was making a weird rubbing/grinding noise which sounded similar to a flat tire. The tires are fine, so I jacked the car up, and found out the passenger side front wheel was clicking when I tried to check for play in the 12 and 6 o'clock position. I recently replaced all 4 front ball joints, so I thought it was probably the hub assembly going bad or a loose CV axle nut. I'm going to check the CV axle nut torque, because the wheel and CV axle were moving up and down when I checked for play. If someone is experiencing this type of sound/vibration through the floor from the front end, try checking for play in the wheel.

Back